Timberline (1968)
by Dana (originally by MEM Company)

Timberline information

Parent CompanyPatriarch Partners > Dana Classics

About Timberline

Timberline is a masculine fragrance by Dana. The scent was launched in 1968

Reviews of Timberline

My thumbs up rating for this cologne is Timberline by Leather itself.I'm talking about the square glass bottle with the wooden top.It will have an eagle in flight with mountains in the background or a scene of woods in front of a river.Those bottles are the original formula.Last year I bought a old stock plastic bottle of Timberline by MEM with the eagle silhouette in blue,white plastic bottle and blue plastic cap (1oz. size).It was 'okay'...but was nothing remotely like the old formula.Very strange mix of sweetened nail polish remover out of the spicket.A little sandalwood,a honey and vanilla like sweetness,a tad floral.Better smelling out of the bottle but also very much a skin scent/weak.MEM obviously reformulated when they brought this scent back shortly so it's lack of popularity from Dana in my opinion is 'monkey see monkey do'.

So what does Timberline by English Leather smell like?
Four notes this has in specific order.It starts with a little leather and an old-fashioned dark sweetness akin to honey and anise combined.An green leafy accord that I cannot place as it's not sharp like pine just very fresh.Lastly there's some lavender that gives a clean soapy note to the finish.So in certain ways it's an alteration of the traditional English Leather scent...and I love it!Bought it regularly many years ago but acquired a new bottle to enjoy again.I wouldn't call Timberline a woodsy scent like Tsar,Aspen,or Quorum in terms of how they're crafted today.It's more like you're strolling to a hunting lodge smelling the fresh leaves of spring and soap from your shower also smelling the fresh leather of your rifle sling along the way.You enter the lodge and someone offers you an anise infused candy straight from Europe.Very classy but I think when MEM reformulated it ingredients versus price point became a cost issue.

19th May, 2015
Hideous men's fougere - the cheapest smelling trash ever created. Sharp and repellent. I spent less than $10 for my small bottle, based on Barbara Herman's review. This is one she get completely wrong.

She finds it a woody, amber fougere with anise and herbal/citrus top, soft balsamic base with honey and heliotrope, spiced with carnation and cinnamon.

Yes, they are probably all there, but the overall result is just vile.

Top: Bergamot, Lavender, Lemon, Anise, Basil, Rosemary
Middle: Geranium, Carnation, Cinnamon, Fern, Heliotrope, Cedarwood, Pine
Base: Sandalwood, Vetiver, Oak Moss, Tonka, Vanilla, Honey, Musk

Stay away.
07th July, 2014
Something about Timberline bothers me and I can't quite figure out what it is...whatever assaulting citrus/herbal/woody/floral opening is going on becomes vastly overshadowed by what is quickly an immutable insect repellant vibe that is desperately trying to be softened by a honey and/or vanilla along with a touch of sandalwood, musk and moss mid-notes and ends as one off-putting, sweet-ish woody kind of mess.

Timberline lasts a fairly long on me so it's not one that I have in heavy rotation, especially during summer months. On another note, this reminds me a lot of Nicole Miller for Men and now I'm figuring out why I'm not a huge fan of that either.
03rd March, 2014
shamu1 Show all reviews
Swanky is right - the bottle you see online being sold for dirt cheap has an "MEM" sticker on the bottom, but I too can't believe that what I'm smelling is the same 70s classic everyone seems to like.

No, what I get is a semi-sweet, semi-spicy, semi-everything, boring-ass woody oriental, with no sillage and about 30 minutes hang time. This a truly characterless and lifeless scent.

Don't be lured into even spending the $6 I paid for my bottle. Timberline truly sucks.

MY RATING: 2/10
08th July, 2012
Swanky Show all reviews
Although my bottle is from MEM, it looks like the picture at the head of this page. This can't be the original formula. This is a modern cheapie in the Dolce and Gabbana Pour Homme wheelhouse - heavily artificial and cloying with mediocre longevity. In short, there is nothing to recommend this fragrance. Perhaps the 70s rendition is a gem, but this version is anything but.
23rd June, 2012
I hate the cheap opening, strong alcohol with hints of citric/herbal notes and then dies down to almost nothing, suddenly a overly sweet vanilla/musk takes over and would not let go. Where is the wood???, Timberline is a missnomer since there is no wood in here.
After a while I got a headache nauseated by the cloying sweetness of this concoction.
No wander it got discontinued.
14th June, 2011

Add your review of Timberline

Shop for Timberline products online

Search Amazon for Timberline

Member images of Timberline

There are no member images of Timberline yet. Why not be the first?