Tricorn (1941)

Based on 45 ratings

Tricorn information

Tricorn is a men's fragrance by Caswell-Massey. The scent was launched in 1941

Reviews of Tricorn

Showing 1 to 6 of 17 reviews.

rogalal's avatar

Back when I was still into designer aquatics, I bought a Caswell-Massey sampler on a whim and Tricorn was my least favorite of their line. It was just so old fashioned and so powdery. I ignored it for years until trying it again, and I'm rather surprised that I actually like it now. I guess tastes really do change as you get more experience.

So what does it smell like? Well, it really is extremely powdery, like a huge explosion of baby powder that dominates the sillage all day. The rest is an old-fashioned amber, slightly poopy at first but getting darker and sweeter with time as vanilla and leathery pine make their way in.

I'm voting thumbs up, but with the caveat that there are better powdery ambers out there, especially if you venture into classic women's perfumes, which offer things like this, but often given more depth with florals and more character with darker smokier elements.

02 April, 2013

Exerciseguy's avatar

Discontinued as of Spring/2012.

The Tricorn scent has been a favorite of mine ever since it was given to me as a gift over 20 years ago. Fortunately I was able to horde a few bottles of after shave before the product entirely disappeared forever.

It seems that the centuries-old Caswell-Massey is on life support as a viable business and is not long for this world; what a shame.

14 March, 2013

Swanky's avatar

Too bad that I'm not a vanilla lover, because Tricorn is a vanilla strutter in the drydown. Too bad that I'm not a Tricorn lover because the longevity is superb. My dentist surely must love it because I have three fresh cavities now.

Shamu is about spot on: this starts as a mansized old school scent in the Zizanie/Royal Copenhagen arena but after about an hour and a half it is almost straight vanilla. If it were even like Obsession, it'd be better than the sugar cone ice cream parlor wafting into my nostrils.

13 June, 2012

shamu1's avatar

I was going to give this a thumbs up, until the drydown came, so I give it a neutral. The opening and middle stages are great - super spicy, bold sandalwood and patchouli with a dirty, skanky touch to it. It's kind of like a sandalwood gingerbread. Great!

The problem is the drydown, which is much too sweet for me. After hour two, the amber and gingerbread take over, and that's when I throw in the towel with Tricorn. No, it doesn't smell bad, but the drydown is a disappointment for me. Smells a lot like Obsession For Men in the drydown, and Obsession is not a favorite of mine, to say the least.

MY RATING: 6.5/10

04 June, 2012

alfarom's avatar

A classic and quite enjoyable concoction of spicy sandalwood and amber that in the drydown gets not too distant from Maitre Parfumeur Et Gantier Santal Noble. Personally I stick with the Jean-Francois Laporte's version for its boldness and compelling power but Tricorn could definitely be a nice alternative if you don't like to be challenged by your fragrance.

03 August, 2011 (Last Edited: 13 February, 2012)

Harvitz81's avatar

A spicy, sandalwood, vanilla concoction. The dry down reminds me of both chanel egoiste and L'Occitane Eav du Bavx, with the CM fitting somewhere between those two with a more pronounced cinnamon note. Longevity is great and overall this is a decent fragrance especially given the price point.

01st April, 2011