Tristano (1989)

Tristano information

Year of Launch1989

HouseTristano Onofri

About Tristano

Tristano is a masculine fragrance by Tristano Onofri. The scent was launched in 1989

Reviews of Tristano

Basil, Bergamot, Clary Sage, Green Notes, Lavender.
Geranium, Jasmine, Muguet, Rose, Sandalwood.
Amber, Cedar, Leather, Moss, Musk, Tonka, Vanilla.

First, a shout out to my friend Henry Ong ( aka XMEN and mrscentman) for my recent purchase of Tristano Onofri. Thanks again Henry. As always, it was a pleasure to deal with an honest, reputable human being such as yourself. Suffice it to say that the items were completely intact and stored properly. My first encounter with Tristano came sometime in 2008 and if memory serves, I received that bottle from Henry as well. Tristano Onofri is a dignified masculine that flirts with woods, fougere and oriental. I suppose I wouldn't be remiss if I stated it's a Woody Fougiental. Regardless of its category, the important things are overall aroma and performance.

Tristano opens with a thicker feel than you might expect, compared to its volume and throw. It seems to hug the skin and retain a substantial quality without permeating your surroundings. I find this aspect of the fragrance to allow one the opportunity to smell good at work or in other, conscientious conditions. The volume is governed, but succeeds in smelling full.

Blurred or well blended, depending upon how you want to look at it, there's contributions from many players without any one note overtaking the composition. On my skin, the suggestion of green bouquet, mild spice and a woody undertow come to the fore and stay prevalent until the drydown stage. Sure, there are noticeable nuances from others in the accords, but I'm simply describing what flourishes on me. What I notice most is that Tristano simply smells good and leans perhaps a tad formal. This would surely perform admirably in close quarters.

I understand the term "formal" may raise red flags with some and construe Tristano as a potentially dated fragrance. I don't find it that way at all and if I smelled this on a man of any age, I wouldn't bat an eyebrow. I would however, think that he sure smells pleasant. However, everything isn't for everyone and that's why we sample before purchase ( if at all possible ).

Once the base and drydown commence on my skin, Moss that's accentuated by mild amber are more noticeable, while the other listed players never really pop on me. It's not a disappointment however. It seems to be how the base accord is tuned and possibly the desire of the nose responsible to keep a green theme perpetuated. Sillage is moderate, even with heavier sprays with longevity approximately 3 hours on my skin and a bit longer as a skin scent. Not a strong scent, but a pleasant one. Thumbs up from SS for Tristano Onofri and as always, a sample wear is highly recommended.
26th February, 2015
A Close Relative of Salvador Dali

At first whiff, Tristano reminded me of Salvador Dali Pour Homme --- woody, green, dark, earthy and complex. As I paid closer attention, I noticed the things that set it apart as well as the similarities. Tristano's top notes are a bit brighter, and there is a tang of pimento berry present as well --- as though someone splashed a little of Paco Rabanne's Tenere into Dali's distinctive bottle. The development is similar, though Tristano is less concentrated and thus does not last as long. Still, it is a very distinctive and well-composed fragrance, and fans of Salvador Dali will likely appreciate this one as well.

Pros: Warm, complex leathery fougere
Cons:

06th June, 2013
Spicy woody green but highly synthetic. Well yes they all are but this one comes off as a very sour leathery fougere. Good longevity and a good work cologne as it's not overpowering. i've tried it a few times and I simply did not like how it wears on me.
06th October, 2009
As everyone have mentioned...under the radar frag, smells AWESOME! I have been privy to the impossible to find Kouros Eau de Sport (not to be confused with Kouros Sport) and this reminds me very much of Eau de Sport. The difference is Tristano takes you on a journey first, through everything nice about fragrance...mystery, joy, pleasure, day-dream, love and infatuation. Then it gently brings you to the house of Kouros. I have seen bottles of this on eBay for waay to much money...look thru eBay europe (especially ebay.de) you will be surprised that you might find this for cheap.

Naturally as a Kouros lover Tristano gets a perfect 10 from me. It is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED, if you can find it.
29th August, 2009
Bigsly Show all reviews
With neroli and lavender in the top notes (see the note pyramid below), you would be correct to guess that this starts off sharp. I'm not a fan of this kind of opening, but it's not unbearable, and after a couple hours or so it settles down nicely. It's a little sharp all the way through, but at this point it's quite pleasant. Think of this as a better blended version of a Rochas Man fragrance, more connected to traditional perfumery (with oakmoss and an animalic note, "dirty" jasmine or but possibly the ambergris). This keeps it from being like a combination of candy and lavender. It's also not as "loud" or crude as those kinds of fragrances, and more natural smelling. Yes, if you are not used to a strong neroli note you might think this is really sour and sharp, but give it some time, unless you don't have the patience to wait for the drydown. Longevity is excellent and the projection/"sillage" for the drydown is quite good, though not so strong that it gets irritating.

Neroli, Lavender.
Cedar, Sandalwood, Clary Sage, Jasmine, Ylang Ylang, Heliotrope.
Ambergris, Oakmoss, Vanilla.

My old review of January, 2009: Other than the top notes, which I usually try to avoid (as I did when I applied Tristano), I detect a strong green note, along with civet and what I think is juniper berry. It's strong for the first hour and a half or so, then settles nicely and lasts a while. Sillage is at least moderate. It's not really my kind of fragrance, so it's hard for me to assess it, which is why I'm giving it the neutral rating. If asked to compare it to Ungaro II, I'd say that U II is more blended and has a richer feel whereas Tristano is more articulated and straightforward.
14th January, 2009 (last edited: 19th June, 2011)
Tristano is a real FIND! I just tried it and it's great. It's been kept a real secret. If you like a fresh, warm, woody scent...then you'll love this one. It has great staying power and it's unlike any other fragrance out there. I also use the After Shave. This is worth a try...I love it. Josh Augustt 4-12-04
31st March, 2004 (last edited: 14th April, 2004)

Add your review of Tristano

Shop for Tristano products online

Shop for Tristano at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Tristano

Member images of Tristano

There are no member images of Tristano yet. Why not be the first?