Tuscany / Etruscan (1984)
by Aramis

Tuscany / Etruscan information

Year of Launch1984

HouseAramis
Parent CompanyEstee Lauder Companies > Aramis and Designer Fragrances
Parent Company at launchEstee Lauder Companies

About Tuscany / Etruscan

The first Aramis fragrance to be created outside of the US. Tuscany was created in Firenze, Italy in 1984, then launched in 1985 in the UK.
The packaging is inspired by the warm red roof tiles, and the bottles silver top is shaped like a naval column.
The fragrance contains notes of Bergamot, Geranium and Pathcouli.
The fragrance s marketed as 'Etruscan' in some countires. (The Italian name for the Tuscany region).

Tuscany / Etruscan fragrance notes

Reviews of Tuscany / Etruscan

I adore this fragrance and assumed I'd reviewed it years ago. Finding I hadn't, I figured no time like the present.

I have to say first that I'm amazed (and gladdened) that Tuscany is still in production. As one who grew up in the '70s and who admires '70s and '80s powerhouses, I'm so happy that Estee Lauder is still making this. In a world of aquatics and gourmands, Tuscany feels like a creature from the late Palaeozoic (as do I sometimes). It's the scent that, other than Old Spice, I wear when I don't know just what to wear.

I can understand the comparisons to Azzaro Pour Homme. I love both scents and find them different enough that they both work for me. At the risk of oversimplification, APH is my City Mouse, and Tuscany my Country Mouse. APH is a bit dirtier and yet refined, with the addition of the crazy anise top notes. Tuscany is a simpler scent to my nose, with the lovely bergamot opening to match my Earl Grey, and a patchouli that my wife swears she loves more than any other scent I wear. And though I wear it all year, the scent always evokes summer for me--sun high and hot through pines, my grandmother's kitchen, children laughing, and a yellow Labrador leaping with abandon into a deep lake.

Tuscany is a scent that simultaneously transports me to every exotic place, and yet at heart says "home" to me.

17th June, 2018 (last edited: 18th June, 2018)
This is a really masculine citrus aromatic chypre fragrance that evokes the idea of Italy. The opening smells very similar to Dior's Eau Sauvage and has a beautiful mix of lemon, lime, and leather with a hint of oakmoss that just works really well. This is for the hairy-chested man who knows what he wants and works hard for it; that's the sort of vibe I get from it. There is nothing unisex about it. On the drydown it smells similar to the opening with a pleasant limey vibe with the scent of anise, oakmoss, and leather. The drydown reminds me a lot of Azzaro pour Homme (a barbershop masculine fougiere classic). Sillage as with other Aramis fragranves I have tried is moderate yet leaning strong but in an effervescent and airy way, while longevity is actually quite good. So far I own Aramis Havana and Tuscany, and like them both. My experiences with them (along with their really inexpensive pricetags; I found this for $20) make me want to try other Aramis fragrances. I'm really enjoying the offerings by the house.

31st May, 2018
After a nice 10 second opening, it begins to smell like pure lemon. Not good.
It later dries down into a more mature Azzaro Pour Homme. On my wrist it smelled pretty nice, and I can see wearing this on a cold day with a leather jacket.
But recently I wore it to work and I did not like the scent at all. It smelled like eau de sweat or something. The good thing it's not a strong project (that I know of).

WHAT'S IT LIKE:
Azzaro Pour Homme
It's the 80s version of Azzaro, a little more sophisticated and mysterious, but not a interesting or pleasant. A more herbal version, and less fun in my opinion.

CONCLUSION:
At first I thought this was a nice, cheap find. But now I'm going to toss it.

17th April, 2018 (last edited: 27th April, 2018)
Aramis Tuscany Per Uomo is an early/mid 80's entry into the Aramis catalog of scents. It followed up 1978's Devin, and is often compared favorably to Loris Azzaro's Azzaro pour Homme (which also came out in 1978). Tuscany per Uomo debuted in 1984, during a period of extremely virile and pungent masculine scents called "powerhouses" in hind sight by hobbyists for their uncompromising strength and density. Tuscany per Uomo was the odd man out of this crowd as it didn't go for piercing top notes and bases saturated with moss like it's peers, and instead focused on a balance that comes across like one part barbershop and one part mid-century chypre. It was quite a relaxed scent upon release, showing the American Aramis line mimicking the citrus and herb style many Italian perfumers were issuing in the masculine category, except it wasn't Italian legitimately, but before we harp on "cultural appropriation", we need to see this for what it is. Tuscany Pep Uomo is valued to this day for it's societal demeanor and old-world charm in the face of so much "power". There's not a whole lot more to say about it other than that, and the fact it was the first Aramis scent developed outside of the US, particularly hailing from Firenze in Italy, was a way of adding some authenticity to what would otherwise be seen as an ape job. The nose for this creation is unlisted, but knowing Estée Lauder, perfumers local to the area were used, even if the stuff ultimately was not marketed to Italians to fact-check that, much in the same way "Diamond Star Motors" vehicles were designed by Mitsubishi for Chrysler but never sold in Japan, and only available in territories. It's a common trait for American businesses to attempt aping global culture, sometimes with the help of participants from that culture, so I'm not surprised. A much stronger version of this was made a decade later called "Tuscany per Uomo Forte" (1994) and it follows the "concentree/haute concentration" tradition of French aromatic citrus chypre makers by offering a more powerful version of the standard, but it really isn't so much different just with a beefed-up base.

Tuscany per Uomo opens with a lot of lemon and bergamot, where it gets most of it's comparisons to Azzaro Pour Homme, but the lemon here is in the top instead of the middle (which is where it's expected to be honest), so it's brighter overall but the lemon doesn't trail through the scent mid-life like Azzaro. Tuscany is also a much simpler creation, and less barbershop in the sense that the lavender in this doesn't bap you on the nose midway like it does in Azzaro. There's also quite a bit of other brightening agents here like neroli and hedione that are not present in Azzaro, so this is for all intents and purposes, a citric chypre/fougère hybrid that takes a similar masculine dryness to it's final destination, but along much more sun-bleached paths. The lemon here is much juicier while the anise joining it is turned down lower, until the lemon is replaced by neroli midway through before it fades to a skin musk at the end. Token sandalwood and vetiver round out the base but it doesn't have the resinous feel that it's oft-compared Azzaro rival possesses. I really hate to concede that one fragrance smells like a take on another, but in this case I really do believe that the Sicily-by-way-of-France feel of Azzaro was proxied then cleansed of it's French proclivities and heaped on with more Italian sensibilities, or at least what those sensibilities would be if applied to a globalist citrus masculine. Tuscany also distinguishes itself with the Aramis house note in the base, a particular ratio of vetiver, patchouli, and moss that was skipped over in the previous JHL (1982) but was in the 70's offerings. Overall, this is a more herbal and green affair than Azzaro, and will recall the dry down of Yves Saint Laurent Pour Homme and Balenciaga Ho Hang (both 1971) with it's prominent geranium and thyme middle. I quite like the lemon and herb combo, not only does it taste good on baked chicken, but also forms a nice dynamic duo of relaxed and stately masculinity for medium weather adventures, serving better in the place of the usual blue ocean stuff or candied ozone guys favor today in such weather.

Tuscany per Uomo is a fragrance that has always played second fiddle to Azzaro, and maybe because there are only so many ways one can combine citrus, herbs, woods, and musk before it all becomes a blur; this is especially in light of how successful Azzaro had become internationally, while the Aramis line mainly served middle-class men in America, even a selection such as this which was crafted in Italy. Un Homme Charles Jouran (1979) suffered similar fate and was even more obscure so it became even less successful in the end, which is a shame too. If this had come out at the same time or before instead of six years after Azzaro pour Homme, perhaps the story would be different and it wouldn't be seen as the copycat. I personally think they exist in the same stroke as Pour un Homme de Caron (1934) exists alongside Canoe by Dana (1936), and like those two much older fougères, each took the same concept in slightly different directions but were a few years apart. Problem here is less people knew about how similar Pour un Homme and Canoe were to each other in the 30's due to the lack of global telecommunications, but in a much smaller world that the 1980's had become, it was easy enough to access public memory of Azzaro when Tuscany debuted to give it that "also-ran" connotation. Perhaps if it was from an Italian house, people would not have associated it so closely with a French masculine, rather than an American house by way of Italy, but it also probably wouldn't have so as well stateside if so. When was the last time you say Fendi Uomo (1988) on the shelf? My case in point. Much like Avon and it's regional releasing stratagem, Aramis probably was banking that people who bought Tuscany had never experienced Azzaro. Between the two Tuscany is the more elegant, sweeter, and friendly fougère, benefiting from a larger palette of herbs that make it a bit more rustic and easy-going than Azzaro's more sensual take. One isn't better than the other and I'd say own both if possible, but the Tuscany will win you more bonus points with hobbyists because it's ultimately lesser-known. Is it a niche Azzaro Pour Homme? No. It's a fragrance for men that tackles the same region of the globe and uses the same box of crayons to paint it's picture, but does so markedly different. If I will concede one thing, it's Tuscany Uomo certainly is the more interesting of the two, if only because it's newer but draws from even older concepts. Retroism in the 1980's? Absurd, but absurdly good.
01st January, 2018 (last edited: 06th April, 2018)
A very well crafted classic Italian style cologne. Very versatile with decent projection and longevity.
29th December, 2017 (last edited: 26th January, 2018)
Fougere, but really spiced lemons (Amalfi?) laced with geranium and dry woods (patchouli) in the base.

The patchouli is the same as in Aramis 900, but the dosage is less strong.

Simple, honest, handsome, effortless.

There is no comparison with Azzaro pour Homme, as that is French and this is decidedly Italian. Choose both, if you have to. Adequate duration and sillage.

3.5/5
03rd October, 2017

Add your review of Tuscany / Etruscan

Shop for Tuscany / Etruscan products online

Oops! Unable to talk to eBay. Let us know if this problem persists

Member images of Tuscany / Etruscan

There are no member images of Tuscany / Etruscan yet. Why not be the first?