Ungaro pour L'Homme I (1991)
by Ungaro

PerfumerJacques Polge
Parent CompanyFerragamo Group
Parent Company at launchWertheimer > Chanel

About Ungaro pour L'Homme I

Ungaro pour L'Homme I is a masculine fragrance by Ungaro. The scent was launched in 1991 and the fragrance was created by perfumers Jacques Polge and François Demachy

Reviews of Ungaro pour L'Homme I

Stardate 20170831:

Polge and Demachy are perhaps the best noses of our times. Polge's style is classic while Demachy is more modern.
They collaborated for Ungaro I and it has the best of both world. The structure is classic aromatic fougere. But the nuances added on to it are amazing.
They managed to make rose darker. A Gothic Black Rose.
The pine is sweeter.
There is a dark brooding undertone, but less Tim Burtonish than Salvador Dali PH.
And then there is a modern musk/ambergris base that Creed most likely copied from for its composition (aventus,spice wood).

Jesus juice if there was one.
31st August, 2017
How and why this fragrance was discontinued is criminal! If you walk into a party wearing this and you leave empty handed, chances are you died and no one told you. This fragrance is an experience for you and those around you. Much like the related brothers in the series, this is the most primal and darkest. It is woody, yet bright and alive. It is bold, yet deceptive and with a power of intrigue and espionage. I has secrets and codes that you will never break, and it will bring foreign women to your doorstep who will speak Russian and carry sharp knives in their thigh high leather boots. The mystery of the Orient and the longevity will stay with you for the day, and the scent will linger on your shirt collar for days. The complexity is truly unmatched; going on initially with great intensity, you should use less than you think. The dry down takes quite some time and then passes through the subtle patchouli phase leaving a base of complexity that was equal to first spray. I can honestly say that this fragrance has to be simply wonderful on just about any man. If you can still find it, it's worth every penny, but reserve it for special days and special people. I could only hope for a re-release,,, PLEASE!
12th October, 2015
I was lucky to find a tester bottle and a regular splash bottle of this recently. But if you are not that lucky try five 'o clock from Serge Lutens. Very simular opening but a bit softer
21st February, 2015
Very much akin to Tsar. Where Tsar has more carnation, Ungaro I has more of a pine note, and a bit more spice. Duration is a few hours, and silage stronger than Tsar. Tsar might be slightly more versatile... it becomes more of a skin scent on me, so no problem wearing it to work.

This I think of a Christmas type of frag (along with Helmet Long Cologne) ...The pine & spice are in the forefront for this frag.

My favorite of the Ungaros. (II reminds me of Chanel Pour Homme Concentree - I don't like the root beer note in it, and III was unmemorable)
01st December, 2014
Genre: Woody Oriental

Inspired and imaginative titles notwithstanding, Ungaro I, Ungaro II, and Ungaro III are all scents of exceptional character. That I and II disappeared in rapid sequence doesn’t surprise me. Their baroque construction was utterly at odds with the minimalist fragrance fashion of the 1990s, and they were probably too bold and idiosyncratic for the designer market anyway. They might have worked as part of a daring niche line like Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier or Parfumerie Generale. That the more conventional Ungaro III was the one that finally stuck makes perfect sense. It’s still not mainstream by any measure, but at least it’s a structure that the non-aficionado can recognize.

Ungaro I is the darkest of the three brothers, and while it’s not so lascivious an animal as Ungaro II, its profound depths can be threatening. At Ungaro I’s heart lies a vinous accord of rose and patchouli that I feel anticipates the pungently earthy structure of L’Artisan Parfumeur’s Voleur de Roses. With its aromatics and its honeyed base Ungaro I also has the boozy, raisiny flavor and translucent sepia tone of a fine St. Emilio sherry. If you’ve ever tasted Lustau’s Pedro Ximénez or East India bottlings, you’ll have a rough idea of how Ungaro I smells. Indeed, I wouldn’t blink if told that Jacques Polge modeled this scent on the bouquet of a grand old sherry. While there’s no tobacco listed in Ungaro I’s pyramid, I do get the impression that cigars are being offered with its sherry. Must be the patchouli at work.

Though perhaps only related in its use of rose, geranium and patchouli in a woody oriental context, Ungaro I has some of the seriousness, grand stature of Patou pour Homme. It’s not quite as monumental and a good deal more tangy, but it does share in that same ineffable dignity.

Ungaro I’s drydown kicks in at about T=2 hours, and it does so very abruptly. Blink (in olfactory terms) and you’ll miss the transition. One second you’ve got rose and patchouli glowing through dark brown tinted glass, then presto-change-o, you’ve got a soft, powdery, woody amber drydown. This drydown is less impressive than the rest of the experience, but it is well balanced to a degree that’s rare for its type.
06th July, 2014
As usual, no perfume can appeal to all users in the same manner or fashion. I for one find Ungaro I to be one of the most sensuous scents for men around. It is also strong, long lasting and has a pretty good dry down progression. Definitely one of my top 10 for men along with Chanel for men, Must by Cartier, Relax by Davidoff, Fuel by Donna Karen, Krizia Uomo, Aramis, Pierre Cardin, Pour Homme de Caron and Gucci Envy!
14th November, 2013

Add your review of Ungaro pour L'Homme I

Shop for Ungaro pour L'Homme I products online

Search Amazon for Ungaro pour L'Homme I

Member images of Ungaro pour L'Homme I

There are no member images of Ungaro pour L'Homme I yet. Why not be the first?

Features relating to Ungaro pour L'Homme I