Vetiver (1961)

PackagingRobert Granai
Parent CompanyLVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton
Parent Company at launchGuerlain

About Vetiver

This popular fragrance by Guerlain was relaunched in 2000 with new packaging, a new bottle (designed by Robert Granai) and new colour juice. According to Guerlain, the scent remains unchanged and is as good as it ever was.

Vetiver fragrance notes

Reviews of Vetiver

This new reformulation is a sin. It lacks the vetiver intensity of the original and the cedar is also weak. Just what did they do to probably the BEST vetiver ever formulated? I have been wearing this for over 35 years, it is almost my daily scent. It is different. Try Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire or even Tom Fords Grey Vetiver, it has a very slight rose component. Secondly just what have they done with the bottle? The original bottle with those frosted bands was incredibly distinctive, you knew you had Gurelain Vetiver. And you were also letting people know you had the BEST avaliable, a badge of distinction. In fact all the new bottles are an abomination, cheap and ordinary. Drugstore caliber. Very disappointed in this new formulation.
13th December, 2016
I never tried the vintage but I'm glad to at least have finally tried the newer formulation of Guerlain Vetiver, a seemingly timeless fresh expression of vetiver that transcends gender or season, though on the latter, I generally see this as shining brightest in the warmer months, though it's not as weak as, say, Guerlain Imperial Cologne.

The composition is fresh vetiver, blended seamlessly with citrus/neroli opening, a bit of pepper (reminding me of Lalique White), and a woody dry down, which seems like cedar to my nose.

Performance is roughly on par with what I would expect with a warm weather-leaning EDT from designers, but the refinement here is at a higher level than, say, the CK Summers.

At only $35 for 100ml on the secondary market (FragranceNet), it's hard to imagine I won't have this in my collection at some point in the next year simply to round out my freshies with a vetiver-dominant entry.

7 out of 10
08th November, 2016
I disliked this the first time I tried it, but a second attempt reveals more of the appeal. On first application close sniffs bring a disconcerting amount of Playdoh, but once it's settled the wafts of scent reveal (famously) the vetiver with a helping of tobacco and a hint of sweetness. In my view, ramping up both the tobacco and the sweetness just a notch would result in a better outcome. However, it's green, fresh, uplifting, and although certainly no longer the best vetiver on the market, still relevant, still wearable, and fairly good value.
29th October, 2016
There are good reasons that this is considered the go to for a Vetiver reference. It is soft, soapy, layered and nuanced, balanced. The soapy part has me thinking this would be gorgeous on a woman.
For myself I prefer the more contemporary biting, like Sycomore, Encre Noir or Vetiver Veritas.
Or the more simple and bracing like Roger & Gallet.
21st September, 2016 (last edited: 06th January, 2017)
Tried Vetiver at home for the first time. Put some on my wrists and could only smell a little fragrance. Took it to work today and it worked a little better. Would definately call Vetiver a daytime fragrance. It is light and mild. Smells fresh and clean. Reminds me of a higher quality cologne. It is different and by that I mean it is not the run of the mill cologne with something in common with other colognes. Vetiver is unique in it's own way. It reminds me of a fresh mown lawn with a touch of sweetness in the fragrance. Projection is extremely mild.
13th September, 2016 (last edited: 27th September, 2016)
I am sampling vintage Guerlain Vetiver. I smell vetiver, tobacco, and tonka, and it is nice.
02nd June, 2016

Add your review of Vetiver

Shop for Vetiver products online

Shop for Vetiver at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Vetiver

Member images of Vetiver

Fragrances launched in the same year as Vetiver (1961)