Vetiver (1961)

PackagingRobert Granai
Parent CompanyLVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton
Parent Company at launchGuerlain

About Vetiver

This popular fragrance by Guerlain was relaunched in 2000 with new packaging, a new bottle (designed by Robert Granai) and new colour juice. According to Guerlain, the scent remains unchanged and is as good as it ever was.

Vetiver fragrance notes

Reviews of Vetiver

Swanky Show all reviews
I cannot outdo valkilmer's spot-on review. Despite the plethora of notes listed, this is a straight-up vetiver fragrance that lasts all day. You must love vetiver to wear this often, but the note doesn't get much better than this if you're a fan. A classic.
31st August, 2018
This is a powerful, shimmering, unrelenting vetiver fragrance. One spray on my chest steamrolls through my shirt like angry Lou Ferrigno through drywall. Very little evolution over its lifespan on my skin and it is an absolute marathoner---we're talking all day at the office and through the night. It persists noticeably through an evening scrub-down with Ivory soap in a hot shower and is undeniably still lingering on the skin the next morning. The aura this stuff sheds around you is pure and outstanding vetiver. Sniffed up close to the skin (by someone who can stand to approach the blaze), there is depth to appreciate. I mainly appreciate a peppery cedar that stands out in the background---Guerlain did well to set of the strength of the heavy vetiver dosage with something that can at least try to compete.

I feel like I would never want to be without a bottle of this, but it gets tiresome fast. It's not the sort of thing I'd want to wear routinely.
05th August, 2018
hcr Show all reviews
I'll be curious if my opinion on this will change in years. "Hospital soap" is really all I can think. This just isn't pleasant. Kind of disappointed, guess I don't like vetiver...
30th June, 2018
The newest version (green wooden cap) is the best. The performance has actually improved since the silver cap, which is unheard of these days!
Guerlain Vetiver is clean, cheerful, and masculine.
Great, classic scent.
11th May, 2018 (last edited: 13th May, 2018)
This is a classic masculine fragrance first created in 1961 by Jean-Paul Guerlain, the last namesake perfumer of the Guerlain house, which is a very old one having roots going back to the 1800's. It was meant to smell of damp earth mixed with the smell of tobacco. Apparently it was worn by Harrison Ford, Paul McCartney, Arnold Schwarzenegger and President John F. Kennedy of the United States. Vetiver is a grass that grows native to Haiti, India, and Indonesia. Guerlain Vetiver smells of a very green Haitian vetiver grass mixed with tobacco and a lot of woody notes. It smells really like a walk in a forest, in a fresh but somewhat dark style that evokes masculinity. It is perhaps the reference vetiver fragrance, and in my opinion the greatest one (followed by Encre Noire) - and I've tried quite a few vetiver fragrances. As for performance, even the modern iteration of Guerlain Vetiver is very solid, giving me 3-4 hours of strong projection, and 6 hours of longevity overall (which is very good for an eau de toilette). Overall this is an absolute masterpiece, not because it does anything groundbreaking but because it just smells extremely classy - and is totally different from modern 'fresh aquatic' colognes.

09th May, 2018 (last edited: 10th August, 2018)
Love this. I first got a sample of the old ribbed bottle from a Sephora in Manhattan and was blown away. Masculine, fresh and long lasting. The current formulation is good but not as good as the wide bottle, I'm always on the lookout for that one.
05th May, 2018

Add your review of Vetiver

Shop for Vetiver products online

Oops! Unable to talk to eBay. Let us know if this problem persists

Member images of Vetiver

Fragrances launched in the same year as Vetiver (1961)