Vetiver (1961)

PackagingRobert Granai
Parent CompanyLVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton
Parent Company at launchGuerlain

About Vetiver

This popular fragrance by Guerlain was relaunched in 2000 with new packaging, a new bottle (designed by Robert Granai) and new colour juice. According to Guerlain, the scent remains unchanged and is as good as it ever was.

Vetiver fragrance notes

Reviews of Vetiver

I didn't like this when I first applied it, but it quickly grew on me. I got compliments on it during the day and I could still smell it at the end of the day, so I have a feeling I'll be picking up a bottle soon.
08th March, 2017
What an amazing opening this fragrance has. It is as fresh and feels as gentlemanly as anything I've tried. There is a big citrus burst, but it is surrounded by class. I pick up ginger, which mixed with the citrus reminds me just a touch of West Indian Lime by Crabtree & Evelyn. But, this Guerlain Vetiver is a timeless smelling fragrance and has other spice notes, as well as the vetiver which give it a white shirt and tie vibe that is just classy. I find myself smelling my wrist every few minutes so I can re-remember the notes. This is a joy to wear. I've heard some people say that it smells like what an old guy would wear. Well, if that's the case, then bring it on! I love the smell of this fragrance and will wear it proudly as an old guy. :-)

Well done, Guerlain! Two thumbs way up!
19th February, 2017
Current version review

The lemon dominated citrus opening fades over considerable time to its smooth and pleasant vetiver heart. Far toward the background a cedar, tobacco and I think even an undefined spicy note is detectable. All of the ingredients seem to be of noteworthy high quality and there is little synthetic blast to fend off. With this one the quality lemon application blast is quite bracingly stiff. I presume that heavy hit was needed to allow the citrus to be well detected after several hours, which it is. Good potency, projection and longevity.

An outstanding vetiver frag., IMO. A big thumbs up.
13th February, 2017 (last edited: 14th February, 2017)
Fragrance family: Mossy woods, floral, floral oriental

Surprised at the experience of dusting off and trying my bottle of Vetiver after over ten years sitting around.

Starts out with an intense herbal, green rush; mellows out to a classic vetiver emphasizing floral, aromatic fresh elements; citrus in the opening makes way to a slightly grassy, shimmering heart touched by lemon peel; a touch of sweet and spicy elements (Tonka bean) brightens the profile a bit; whiff of smoke amidst grassiness; includes a pleasantly clean, soapy element (somewhat reminiscent of Clean and Gendarme fragrances); has a classic, old school quality that’s unmistakably Guerlain through and through.

Suited for: older wearers, formal occasions

Similar to: Gendarme V (toned-down and more floral)

22nd January, 2017
This new reformulation is a sin. It lacks the vetiver intensity of the original and the cedar is also weak. Just what did they do to probably the BEST vetiver ever formulated? I have been wearing this for over 35 years, it is almost my daily scent. It is different. Try Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire or even Tom Fords Grey Vetiver, it has a very slight rose component. Secondly just what have they done with the bottle? The original bottle with those frosted bands was incredibly distinctive, you knew you had Gurelain Vetiver. And you were also letting people know you had the BEST avaliable, a badge of distinction. In fact all the new bottles are an abomination, cheap and ordinary. Drugstore caliber. Very disappointed in this new formulation.
13th December, 2016
I never tried the vintage but I'm glad to at least have finally tried the newer formulation of Guerlain Vetiver, a seemingly timeless fresh expression of vetiver that transcends gender or season, though on the latter, I generally see this as shining brightest in the warmer months, though it's not as weak as, say, Guerlain Imperial Cologne.

The composition is fresh vetiver, blended seamlessly with citrus/neroli opening, a bit of pepper (reminding me of Lalique White), and a woody dry down, which seems like cedar to my nose.

Performance is roughly on par with what I would expect with a warm weather-leaning EDT from designers, but the refinement here is at a higher level than, say, the CK Summers.

At only $35 for 100ml on the secondary market (FragranceNet), it's hard to imagine I won't have this in my collection at some point in the next year simply to round out my freshies with a vetiver-dominant entry.

7 out of 10
08th November, 2016

Add your review of Vetiver

Shop for Vetiver products online

Shop for Vetiver at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Vetiver

Member images of Vetiver

Fragrances launched in the same year as Vetiver (1961)