Vetiver (1961)

PackagingRobert Granai
Parent CompanyLVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton
Parent Company at launchGuerlain

About Vetiver

This popular fragrance by Guerlain was relaunched in 2000 with new packaging, a new bottle (designed by Robert Granai) and new colour juice. According to Guerlain, the scent remains unchanged and is as good as it ever was.

Vetiver fragrance notes

Reviews of Vetiver

aero58 Show all reviews
I’m wearing Guerlain Vetiver Eau de Cologne (from a 5ml atomizer decant) for the second day in a row – full wearings (previously, Friday evening, I had given it a little test run to get an idea of what it might be like). Here are my brief observations – not a review, per se, but more of initial impressions:

I’ll state up front that I totally dig Guerlain Vetiver EdT – it’s the benchmark vetiver that I judge all others (and I have tried/sampled more than a few). So I was really stoked to try the vintage EdC, which I didn’t know was an earlier offering until recently.

When I had given it the little test run the other evening (only 1 spray to my forearm), I thought it seemed more like a weaker version and not as long lasting as the EdT that I have (my EdT bottle is not the current version/bottle in the stores now, but I’m guessing the one right before it – I think I got it about 7 years ago). Fast forward to now, after two full wearings. (Day 1 was 5 sprays; Day2 was 3 sprays @ 4:00am, but then a couple for refresh at about 3:00pm)

OK, this EdC is certainly not a weaker version of the EdT – it’s got plenty of longevity for me – most excellent! (So much for first impressions, eh? Although, I shouldn't be surprised with just one spray on that test run.) Both yesterday and today it lasted for at least a solid 8 hours, although not a big projector, but it doesn’t wither completely away either. Note-wise, overall, the EdC has a more citric opening to me than the EdT, specifically a lemon note, which is wonderful. The vetiver is clean and wears comfortably. The most distinguishing difference to me is that the EdC does not have the EdT’s tobacco note in the dry down – at all – none. So basically, to sum up, I could say that the EdC is the EdT without the tobacco. That actually isn’t a bad thing at all. As a matter of fact, I could see wearing the EdC year round, and perfect for an office/work situation. One can also be quite liberal with the number of sprays with the EdC – I don’t see how it could become cloying.

Bottom line: I definitely dig it! Do I like it more than the EdT? Hmmmm, hard to say after just 2 wearings – certainly as much - but I think that I could easily be swayed to favor it. Do I like it enough to pay for a full bottle with “the bay” prices that it’s fetching now? Only if I didn’t already have a bottle of the EdT. But then again……hmmmm.
25th May, 2020
I bought the new version of Guerlain Vetiver a week ago. (Green cap)

And i think i know now where the "Sauvage" went in Eau Sauvage!

Off course these are not exact similar scents throughout all the different notes.

But there is something really classy in Guerlain's Vetiver that could easily be just as badass at the same time.

And that feeling is what's lacking in Eau Sauvage. It's just citrussy classy and light.

I bought this because it's a iconic versatile and classic quality scent, i found it cheap on the internet and i paid 52 euro's for a 200ml/6.7 oz.

That's bang for buck!

It's not a projection monster with complicated notes throughout it's longevity, but that's not what this scent is about.

I get a really good performance out of this new version, if you want to go normal go for 3 or 4 sprays in total. If you want it to last from morning well into the night double that into 6 to 8 sprays.

And i think this one is very good for warm weather because the scent amplifies itself again when you get sweaty or wet from walking in the rain.

A Masterpiece!

10 out of 10!

30th January, 2020 (last edited: 04th February, 2020)
Leshutch Show all reviews
The vetiver is so missing in the blend and the nutmeg so strong the this should be called "Nutmeg".

Lasts hours with fair sillage and is a great price at the moment. However, I love the smell of vetiver (essential oil) and this misses the mark for me.
03rd January, 2020
Old school in all of the best senses of the word. Quality ingredients, really distinct notes to my beginners nose and very, very enjoyable to wear.

Also a beautiful example of balance - there are a lot of notes used in this fragrance that can be overpowering. The tobacco in particular is beautifully done - I've had a couple of costlier fragrances absolutely bludgeon me with tobacco, whereas in this application it is gently and deftly woven in.

I would have bought this at retail and have been convinced of the price/value proposition - at current pricing it's just stunning value.

It is quite different to most modern offerings, so Zealot Crusader's caveat for younger buyers to exercise caution in a blind buy is warranted, but that is the only hesitation I'd have in recommending it to someone. Thumbs up.
28th October, 2019 (last edited: 05th November, 2019)
What a veritable rape of this former classic vetiver! Also the other scents at Guerlain – see “Habit Rouge”! These “Wasser Spiele” are a horror! This further formulation is a shame! Since the 1970s meanwhile the fourth! And getting more worse with each version! I had this fragrance as the main perfume for almost 35 years. It's over for me with that Vetiver! Thank God there is Tom Ford's Vetiver and Givenchy's Vetyver. In fact the new one are an abomination, ultra-overprices but in fact cheap and ordinary. A real drugstore caliber – nothing more!
28th October, 2019
This is a great time to buy a bottle of Guerlain Vetiver. The current iteration is fantastic--a robust, effervescent, green vetiver with spicy, sassafras-like accents, a clean, grassy heart, and a balanced, substantial vetiver in the base. It begins bold and crisp, bubbling with a sort of fizzy spiciness, a distinctly green vetiver embellished with nutmeg, myrrh, and pepper. It's more complex than you might imagine, and after an hour or so, some transitions occur and the scent subtly develops into a fresher, "soapier" version of itself. Some of its spice recedes, and in its place subtle florals create a cleaner, out-of-the-shower impression. It feels its most classical and polished during this stage and seems designed for the man who is well-groomed, but not extravagant or ostentatious in any way. It's a sensible heart, and pragmatic as far as its function. Wearing Vetiver during the day, after being greeted early with its vibrant, spicy punch, its cool, clean middle carries me the rest of the way, and it's especially appropriate throughout the late morning and early afternoon as I go about my business, keeping me feeling clean and composed with few olfactory distractions. In its final stage, Vetiver becomes more woody and less grassy--its rootier qualities emerge, along with some earthiness. Here, it presents a balanced and well-done middle-of-the-road vetiver supported by notes of soft amber and sandalwood. Overall, this is just a great vetiver experience in a bottle. You get its various facets at different stages, and while Vetiver never really delves into the much darker, earthier side of the plant, it presents enough variety to remain interesting and compelling. It's also very functional, and is something that can be worn easily during the day, keeping you feeling sharp and put together. While vetiver is a distinct smell, and somewhat rare as a dominant note in popular, mainstream men's perfumery, Guerlain has presented it here in what, in my opinion, is its most palatable, widely appealing form, making this an excellent choice as one's first vetiver fragrance, or as a more useful component in any vetiver-lover's wardrobe. Considering it's current price of about $35 for a large bottle, Vetiver is a great deal and recommended as a blind buy to anyone who is familiar with how vetiver actually smells. If you've never smelled vetiver before, then I certainly recommend sampling this one (or any vetiver based scent), as it's a fairly distinct note. Thumbs up. Final rating: 9/10

Side note: I don't like to ascribe age ranges to scents as I feel there's little truth to the reality of what something smells like and what age it is best for, but I would advise younger men to sample or at least sniff this one out before blindly buying a bottle. That's mainly because vetiver is no longer the ubiquitous, widely-popular note that it once was. While it's often listed as a note in contemporary men's releases, that doesn't mean that it's featured prominently in any of these scents. On the contrary, more recently, it's most often buried in the base of scents, blended in among other vaguely woody notes and/or appearing so late in the dry down as to be an afterthought. So if your'e a young guy it's possible that you've never really smelled vetiver itself as a note. And because it's a very distinct note and smell (quite different from other woods and plants you may have smelled before), I recommend sampling it first.
13th August, 2019

Add your review of Vetiver

Shop for Vetiver products online

Shop for Vetiver at online perfumeries

Buy It Now for only: $7.49

Vetiver by Guerlain Men 3 Pcs Set 3.4oz EDT Spray+2.5oz Shampoo+ Grooming Pouch

End Date: Tuesday Aug-4-2020 11:21:42 PDT
Buy It Now for only: $62.00
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

GUERLAIN VETIVER EAU DE TOILETTE SPRAY 125 ML/4.2 FL.OZ. NO CAP (T)

End Date: Tuesday Aug-4-2020 11:50:58 PDT
Buy It Now for only: $99.50
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

VETIVER BY GUERLAIN EAU DE TOILETTE SPRAY 100 ML/3.4 OZ.NO CAP (T)

End Date: Tuesday Aug-4-2020 11:54:53 PDT
Buy It Now for only: $41.50
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

GUERLAIN VETIVER EXTREME EAU DE TOILETTE SPRAY 100 ML/3.4 FL.OZ. NO CAP (T)

End Date: Tuesday Aug-4-2020 11:57:43 PDT
Buy It Now for only: $57.50
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

GUERLAIN VETIVER EXTREME EAU DE TOILETTE SPRAY 125 ML/4.2 OZ.NO CAP (T)

End Date: Tuesday Aug-4-2020 12:06:08 PDT

VINTAGE CORIOLAN BY GUERLAIN FOR MEN 3.4 OZ / EAU DE TOILETTE Not Spray No📦

End Date: Tuesday Aug-4-2020 13:33:08 PDT
Buy It Now for only: $90.00

Member images of Vetiver

Fragrances launched in the same year as Vetiver (1961)