Vetiver (1961)

HouseGuerlain
PerfumerJean Paul Guerlain
PackagingRobert Granai

About Vetiver

This popular fragrance by Guerlain was relaunched in 2000 with new packaging, a new bottle (designed by Robert Granai) and new colour juice. According to Guerlain, the scent remains unchanged and is as good as it ever was.

Vetiver fragrance notes

Reviews of Vetiver

A favorite that makes me feel very happy whenever I wear it. My father loved Guerlain Vetiver and wore it almost exclusively throughout his life. When he passed away, my mother asked me to take the remaining bottle as it made her meloncholy to smell it or see it any longer. About a year later, I decided to try it myself and found why my dad loved it all those years.

I would describe Guerlain Vetiver as slightly sweeter, slightly fresher and a bit more refined than most of the other vetivers on the market that I have sampled, and there are many good ones that are all quite different. However, the association I have with my father on this will always make it my favorite and bring back fond childhood memories of my dad.

11th February, 2015 (last edited: 13th February, 2015)
One of the better vetiver fragrances but sadly I'm tired of vetiver. It's very balanced and a good choice for vetiver lovers who don't want something too strong like Encre Noire.
23rd November, 2014
I recently purchased two bottles of guerlain vetiver and vetiver extreme, sadly nobody even notices I am wearing it and it has no longevity what so ever , its a shame really as its a lovely fragrance but vanishes in a blink .
17th September, 2014
Genre: Woods

June 2008:
Guerlain’s classic Vetiver introduces itself with a very wet, round citrus accord. It takes some time before the citrus is underpinned by a relatively mellow vetiver note. Later in the course of its development it also reveals a touch of smoke and some crisp green notes that extend the life of the opening citrus accord.

The fragrance cruises along in vetiver-citrus mode for a long time, and I find its uncomplicated structure brisk and refreshing. Guierlain Vetiver is a classical fragrance in the true sense of the word. Like an ionic temple or a Mozart concerto, it exhibits perfect balance, with no extraneous elements to distract from its essential form. If you’re looking for the aggressively earthy, stark, potent vetiver of Route du Vétiver, Vétiver Extraordinaire, or Etro’s Vetiver, you won’t find it here. But if you want a comfortable, civilized approach to the vetiver root, this is it.

August 2009:
I have an odd relationship with Guerlain's Vetiver. I keep thinking that I ought to like it much, much more than I do. With tobacco, nutmeg, coriander and neroli gracing its star note, this stuff should be catnip for me. An yet - it never strikes as much more than "OK."

Why is that? Could it be that I've become accustomed to bolder, more aggressive vetivers, like Encre Noire or Route du Vétiver? No, that can't be it, since I find the more polite and civilized Sycomore and Givenchy Vetyver far more compelling than the Guerlain. Whatever keeps me from loving Guerlain Vetiver dearly lies with the scent itself. As I wear it and study it, I notice a few things:

First, it's very linear on me once the vetiver and cedar emerge.

Second, it's very, very shy on my skin. After fifteen minutes of wear I always have to search for it with my nose to make sure it's still there.

Third, and most disappointing, is that the vetiver and cedar heart smells oddly hollow and emaciated to me, as if the flesh on the accord has been whittled away by some erosive force, and only the skeleton remains.

I still want to like it, but I can't actually find all that much in it to like.
07th July, 2014
My review is based on a vintage '80s bottle of the first EDC formulation of this, although ages ago I bought a couple of vintage EDT minis too and I still sniff them from times to times (and in fact I notice quite a little difference between these two). I do not know the actual formulation of this and to be honest, I am not much interested in it, as I guess how it could smell – not saying it's worse as I don't know it. However, the EDC is simply stunning: unmistakable opening, elegant, fresh, zesty, full of earthy-rooty richness and tasty woods. A milestone for perfumery in general, for masculine "class", for vetiver scents. A totally refined, noble, elegant, cozy freshness rich in citrus, lavender, aldehydes, with an irresistible heart of great, aromatic tobacco, vetiver and cedar. As minutes pass it progressively gets more dry and a darker woody-leather base emerges. Light spices like cumin and nutmeg "fill" the higher notes of vetiver. Refined, versatile, mellow, simple but unique, cozy, pure self-confidence in a bottle. Longevity is discreet but long-lasting. Timeless!

19th June, 2014
divus5 Show all reviews
(I own a bottle, bought this year at Bloomingdales in nyc)

Try before you buy on this one because I think people will either love this or kinda hate it. I think this fragrance is incredible, so unique and just magical as it evolves during the dry-down, from start to finish it makes me happy. Understated AND great, not easy to do. I can see why some wont like it though, without the florals and heavy citrus many will not find it charming.
23rd May, 2014 (last edited: 29th May, 2014)

Add your review of Vetiver

Shop for Vetiver products online

Shop for Vetiver at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Vetiver

Member images of Vetiver

There are no member images of Vetiver yet. Why not be the first?

Fragrances launched in the same year as Vetiver (1961)