Vetiver (2000)

About Vetiver

Vetiver is a masculine fragrance by Floris. The scent was launched in 2000

Vetiver fragrance notes

Reviews of Vetiver

Very dull boring vetiver. I'm not sure why people like it so much.
23rd November, 2014
drseid Show all reviews
Vetiver opens with hints of bergamot and lavender, with some of the cinnamon, clove and rooty vetiver peeping through. It is just a tad on the sweet side, maybe a hair less sweet than Coeur de Vetiver Sacre from L'Artisan. In the heart, the relatively clean and semi-refined vetiver takes the fore, joined by the cinnamon and clove combo that is much more pronounced, slightly dirtied up with a smidgen of cardamom and coriander spice. The scent's base is comprised of the remnants of the spiced vetiver, sweetened up a bit more by sandalwood, tonka bean and patchouli. The vetiver, while always co-staring with other notes is never obscured from start to finish. Projection and longevity are both average.

I am so disappointed in Floris for discontinuing this gem. Floris Vetiver is one of the best vetiver scents I have smelled to date, and after No. 89 and Santal, it was the best the house had to offer, IMO. Vetiver by Floris may be a bit too polished and refined for some Vetiver purists, but folks that enjoy semi-sweet vetiver scents that feature other supporting notes prominently like Coeur de Vetiver Sacre should consider this one a mandatory sample if you can find it. As for myself, Vetiver is a definite buy and gets a rating of 4 to 4.5 stars out of 5. Shame on you Floris!
09th May, 2012 (last edited: 10th May, 2012)
This starts out as a relatively dusty, brownish vetiver, with a little of the sweet nuttiness of the older versions of Guerlain Vetiver. More woodiness enters later in the top notes, but also an earthiness, like a more natural version of the synthetic violetty dirt that I recently found in He Wood and Rocky Mtn Wood. There's anise hiding in there as well, which slightly works to dispel the dirt aura. FV isn't really what I had in mind in exploring vetiver frags, and I think if you want the sweet woodiness, you should go for Fat Electrician or better yet L'Occitane. I agree that its crude, rustic vibe is an interesting change, but I think it's too much geranium and cedar for me, based on OdysseusM's pyramid. I'm not well-versed in the really dirty, earthy vetivers, but I can certainly say that this is a strong, sturdy scent, and as others have described it, a wild beast which has been carefully restrained.
26th September, 2011
A classy take on vetiver with a powdery vibe reminiscent to No. 89. I get primarily sandalwood and tonka in the base. I prefer Creed’s 1948 offering, but this is certainly a suitable selection.
28th February, 2010
Floris Vetiver is a wonderful combination of natural rustic vetiver with sophisticated smooth notes. An amazingly unique fragrance, this has much of the suave elegance of Creed (1948) with orders of magnitude more staying power. How can something be this suave and yet so raw and (at times) almost as wild as RdeV? Floris Vetiver is a mystery one can wear. This makes me think of Jimmy Cagney, the gangster turned song and dance man. Be enigmatic, try it and wear it and smile that enigmatic smile.

Almost perfect and almost impossible to find, Floris Vetiver is too good to last, its got to be discontinued soon. The golden age is over boys, let's have a drink!
14th October, 2009
bbBD Show all reviews
Whether or not I like a vetiver fragrance is very much dependent on the vetiver's accompanying notes. Too bitter or sour (Goutal), salty (Lalique), or herbal (Villorosi) and it doesn't appeal to me. A few months back I went on a quest to find *the* vetiver that was right for me, and after sampling pretty much every vetiver available I decided on Floris. A pleasant vetiver is joined by mild citrus and geranium on application, as well as some light spices in the background. The strong vetiver note moves to the heart, and the vetiver itself is presented to emphasize the grassier aspects of the note (as opposed to the earthier), and the vetiver joins a very stately sandalwood-heavy woody accord. From there a woody/incense base closes out the fragrance.

Since going on my quest I've come to appreciate other vetivers - Givenchy, LezNez, and Malle, but Floris remains my go-to when I need a crisp vetiver that fits any situation, season, or mood. It's discontinued so stock up before it's gone!
11th August, 2009

Add your review of Vetiver

Shop for Vetiver products online

Search Amazon for Vetiver

Member images of Vetiver

There are no member images of Vetiver yet. Why not be the first?