Vetyver / Vétiver (1959)
    by Givenchy

Average Rating: 4.5

Based on 132 ratings

Vetyver / Vétiver information

Discontinued for many years but reintroduced in 2007 to celebrate 50 years of Givenchy

Shop for Vetyver / Vétiver products online

Reviews of Vetyver / Vétiver

Showing 1 to 6 of 42 reviews.

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Woods

July 2009:
    The reissued Vetyver from Givenchy features a very spare, nutty vetiver accord that sweetens gently through something vaguely suggestive of licorice to a very suave woody-mossy base. This is not the sort of raw, aggressively earthy vetiver you get from Route du Vétiver, Vétiver Extraordinaire, or Etro's Vetiver, but rather a comfortable men's club vetiver your well-dressed uncle might have worn while lounging in a leather chair. Among the best of its classical, sophisticated, "Old World" breed, even if it's not terribly exiting.

September 2009:
    A couple of months, many wearings, and one full bottle purchase later, and I realize I’ve given short shrift to this outstanding, if highly understated, fragrance. With growing familiarity I have become more and more impressed and enamored of Vetyver’s fine qualities. My affection for this scent has come to focus on the “nutty,” almost buttery, quality that distinguishes its vetiver and which comes to dominate its drydown. No, it does not break any olfactory boundaries, explore new territory, or offer any structural novelty. But Givenchy’s Vetyver deserves better than to be defined by what it isn’t. It is the smoothest, the most suave, and the most comforting vetiver scent I have encountered. (And that includes Chanel’s resurrected Sycomore.) It is also the warmest, richest, and most rounded treatment of the vetiver note that I can recall right now. In fact, it is everything that Guerlain’s much-vaunted Vetiver should be (perhaps was?) and isn’t. A personal benchmark.

June 2014:
    Something sad has happened to Givenchy Vetyver. A recent bottle smelled comparatively thin and harsh, without the rich, nutty overtones that made the initial reissue so attractive. In this latest formulation Givnchy Vetyver cedes pride of place to Chanel’s Sycomore, The Different Company’s Sel de Vetiver, and Lush’s Exhale on my list of favorite vetivers.

15 June, 2014 (Last Edited: 14 June, 2014)

JackTwist's avatar

I have loved four Vetivers in my life - Guerlain, Etro, Caswell-Massey, and now Givenchy.

The Givenchy is closest to the Guerlain - green, leafy, dry, pungent - but with the added delight of a burnt caramel sugary undercurrent that manages to "not" be sticky sweet as it tends to be in the Caswell-Massey.

Givenchy takes the essence of these two fine vetivers and blends them in an artistic and natural manner, giving me the best of both worlds. [For the record, the Etro is pure root, harsh and pungent, though unfortunately poor on silage and longevity.

I have tried over 30 vetivers over the years and must agree that Givenchy is the best, with Guerlain running a very close race as second.

Bravo! [For once Turin under-starred. He gives this 4 - it should have 5.]

20th February, 2014

Mario Justiniani's avatar

Cuba Cuba

I am not a salad! I am a free man!

I can't possibly give this one a thumbs down, though I understand the one negative reviewer who wrote that he didn't want to smell like stuffed Thanksgiving Turkey dressing.
    Our most prolific reviewer, the worthy foetidus, put it more delicately when he observed that he found himself respecting the frag but not thoroughly enjoying it, so he gave it a "non-enthusiastic thumbs up... "

I have to give this wonderful revived classic a neutral and advise all to get it before it vanishes again--I believe that's already started--and if you can, get a sample vial for a test drive.
    No, I got the full bottle and I have to say that the I find the cilantro/coriander note not to my taste. In my defense, I recall a reporter asking Luca Turin if his personal preferences influenced his reviews; to which Dr. T replied that he had no impersonal preferences.

And, since you're dying to know, cilantro refers to the whole plant but sometimes specifically to the leafy part, whereas coriander refers to the seeds.

Now, there's been some discussion of poor sillage/projection (true) and poor longevity (Wrong! It's an illusion. Spray it before you go to sleep, have sweet dreams for 8+ hours and I guarantee you'll still smell it in the morning. )

Whether poor projection/sillage is viewed as restrained elegance or as a damn shame, depends on whether you're an optimist or a pessimist.

Moreover, what smelling like Mexican parsley in a salad is something every vetiver lover also has to decide if he opts for this particular fragrance.

You may very well love this juice. Look at the reviews. Most do, and some go so far as to pronounce this one their Holy Grail. It is very well constructed, indeed.

Besides. how can one not cheer when a classic is resurrected? Perhaps one day Patou pour Homme, Macassar, Royal English Leather, Vintage Tabarome, Versailles pour Homme? --I live in hope . . .

15 December, 2013 (Last Edited: 03 January, 2014)

Palmjeff's avatar

Very nice scent.

This cologne could be the one I've been looking for, for a long time. I smelled one while in the high end stores in the 80's that I never considered, until recently. I had no name or brand on it. They stopped selling it in the stores about 1987. I even barely remember the bottle color,shape or rest of packaging on it. I just mainly remember that the cologne had a dryness to it,and also elegant. After reading different reviews on different colognes from years past,I decided to blindly order this cologne without sampling it first. I ordered mine, thru Amazon.com. It's kind of pricey,according to what I usually pay for in colognes. I just received it yesterday and couldn't wait to try it out. It smells very nice. It's dry and then sort of nutty,and then another aromatic note comes to play. Maybe it's the coriander.? That's one of the notes I heard was in it. This cologne lasts on my skin for hours even though it seems like it doesn't project very far(sillage). Also this cologne isn't too overpowering like some others are. I can't tell for sure if this cologne was that certain one from the stores from years ago. I read that this version is the relaunched version. Also my skin or body chemistry has probably changed thru the years so that can alter the scent of the cologne on my skin as well. This is a very different cologne among others out there. I'm new to vetiver colognes or vetiver in general,even though I may have tried some colognes out, not knowing there's vetiver in them. I've tried "Vetiver" by Guerlain. That one is sort of strange and one has to get used to it,the way it smells. For now, I think I like my new cologne "Vetyver" by Givenchy. I need to wear it more often to get a feel if it's for me,but I think it is. So far, this is the only Givenchy cologne I like. I tried Xeryus and Givenchy Gentlman already.

Pros: Nice scent, good longevity
    Cons: doesn't go on strong when first sprayed could seem like it's not hardly there"

14 October, 2013

Andrè Moreau's avatar

Probably the best Vetyver ever produced.

Review for the old version (discontinued in 1995)

I could say a lot of things about this "Eau the Vetyver" made in very small quantities only for pleasing Hubert de Givenchy.... but words are unnecessary.

This is the best vetyver ever created. Period.

Pros: The best one. Period.
    Cons:

06 October, 2013

rbaker's avatar

One of the best bright vetivers

Review of the original vintage version: This is an absolutely delightful bright and sunny vetiver top notes of the highest quality, that has little of the dark earthiness of other vetiver scents. Bergamot adds a refreshing notes, and the drydown adds a nice sandawood component with a hint of coriander. For the first couple of hours silage and projection are good, but after that it is closer to my skin, but definitely present to be enjoyed. The development is limited, but the ingredients are of the highest quality and masterfully blended. One of the best vetivers I know, with an excellent longevity of about six hours on me.

24 June, 2013