Vetyver / Vétiver (1959)

Year of Launch1959

HouseGivenchy
Parent CompanyLVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton

About Vetyver / Vétiver

Discontinued for many years but reintroduced in 2007 to celebrate 50 years of Givenchy

Reviews of Vetyver / Vétiver

The current formulation in Gray/Silver/White Box is a poor representation of the original Vetyver up until 2007. If you can find a bottle from 2007 or earlier I highly suggest this one, otherwise plan on re-applying every couple of hours. Those of us who experienced Givenchy circa 1970's will know how great they once were.
23rd June, 2017
I used to wear as my favorite cologne since 1978 until i couldn´t find it any more the last bottlle i can get was in Mexicali Baja Mexico in 1996 i love to wear that aroma .....and when i read here the cologne were back i search the internet and find it on Fragance X ...i ask for it and finaly today i open the bottel and what a dissapointed ...the smell is to far from the oeriginal so i don´t know now ..if this is not original or the Givenchy House change the original scent
09th February, 2015
This is powerful from the start. It's a little like Guerlain's sweet vetiver but with more woods and herbs. It's very pungent. The tarragon pungent smell mixes with the bergamot to give off an "herby" floor cleaner smell (not as bad as described) and the leather gives off a stately quality and helps to contrast the greenness of the herbs. In terms of strength, this is stonger than Guerlain but a bit less then Encre Noire. If you like an "herby" pungent scent that lasts long then I think it's for you. For me it's just above average.
22nd November, 2014
Genre: Woods

July 2009:
The reissued Vetyver from Givenchy features a very spare, nutty vetiver accord that sweetens gently through something vaguely suggestive of licorice to a very suave woody-mossy base. This is not the sort of raw, aggressively earthy vetiver you get from Route du Vétiver, Vétiver Extraordinaire, or Etro's Vetiver, but rather a comfortable men's club vetiver your well-dressed uncle might have worn while lounging in a leather chair. Among the best of its classical, sophisticated, "Old World" breed, even if it's not terribly exiting.

September 2009:
A couple of months, many wearings, and one full bottle purchase later, and I realize I’ve given short shrift to this outstanding, if highly understated, fragrance. With growing familiarity I have become more and more impressed and enamored of Vetyver’s fine qualities. My affection for this scent has come to focus on the “nutty,” almost buttery, quality that distinguishes its vetiver and which comes to dominate its drydown. No, it does not break any olfactory boundaries, explore new territory, or offer any structural novelty. But Givenchy’s Vetyver deserves better than to be defined by what it isn’t. It is the smoothest, the most suave, and the most comforting vetiver scent I have encountered. (And that includes Chanel’s resurrected Sycomore.) It is also the warmest, richest, and most rounded treatment of the vetiver note that I can recall right now. In fact, it is everything that Guerlain’s much-vaunted Vetiver should be (perhaps was?) and isn’t. A personal benchmark.
15th June, 2014 (last edited: 16th August, 2017)
I have loved four Vetivers in my life - Guerlain, Etro, Caswell-Massey, and now Givenchy.

The Givenchy is closest to the Guerlain - green, leafy, dry, pungent - but with the added delight of a burnt caramel sugary undercurrent that manages to "not" be sticky sweet as it tends to be in the Caswell-Massey.

Givenchy takes the essence of these two fine vetivers and blends them in an artistic and natural manner, giving me the best of both worlds. [For the record, the Etro is pure root, harsh and pungent, though unfortunately poor on silage and longevity.

I have tried over 30 vetivers over the years and must agree that Givenchy is the best, with Guerlain running a very close race as second.

Bravo! [For once Turin under-starred. He gives this 4 - it should have 5.]

First Edit: On closer relationship over the past few years, I find that there ares subtle and superbly nuanced note of celery seed and immortelle in this combination - fleeting, but there. Wafting in and out. It continues to be my reference vetiver.
20th February, 2014 (last edited: 22nd August, 2016)
I am not a salad! I am a free man!

I can't possibly give this one a thumbs down, though I understand the one negative reviewer who wrote that he didn't want to smell like stuffed Thanksgiving Turkey dressing.
Our most prolific reviewer, the worthy foetidus, put it more delicately when he observed that he found himself respecting the frag but not thoroughly enjoying it, so he gave it a "non-enthusiastic thumbs up... "

I have to give this wonderful revived classic a neutral and advise all to get it before it vanishes again--I believe that's already started--and if you can, get a sample vial for a test drive.
No, I got the full bottle and I have to say that the I find the cilantro/coriander note not to my taste. In my defense, I recall a reporter asking Luca Turin if his personal preferences influenced his reviews; to which Dr. T replied that he had no impersonal preferences.

And, since you're dying to know, cilantro refers to the whole plant but sometimes specifically to the leafy part, whereas coriander refers to the seeds.

Now, there's been some discussion of poor sillage/projection (true) and poor longevity (Wrong! It's an illusion. Spray it before you go to sleep, have sweet dreams for 8+ hours and I guarantee you'll still smell it in the morning. )

Whether poor projection/sillage is viewed as restrained elegance or as a damn shame, depends on whether you're an optimist or a pessimist.

Moreover, what smelling like Mexican parsley in a salad is something every vetiver lover also has to decide if he opts for this particular fragrance.

You may very well love this juice. Look at the reviews. Most do, and some go so far as to pronounce this one their Holy Grail. It is very well constructed, indeed.

Besides. how can one not cheer when a classic is resurrected? Perhaps one day Patou pour Homme, Macassar, Royal English Leather, Vintage Tabarome, Versailles pour Homme? --I live in hope . . .

15th December, 2013 (last edited: 03rd January, 2014)

Add your review of Vetyver / Vétiver

Shop for Vetyver / Vétiver products online

Shop for Vetyver / Vétiver at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Vetyver / Vétiver

Member images of Vetyver / Vétiver

There are no member images of Vetyver / Vétiver yet. Why not be the first?