Vetyver (1995)

AvailabilityDiscontinued

HouseJo Malone
PerfumerJo Malone

About Vetyver

Vetyver is a shared / unisex perfume by Jo Malone. The scent was launched in 1995 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Jo Malone

Reviews of Vetyver

I originally tried this over a week using a sample from Bloomingdales layered with Amber Lavender. The AL overpowered this and, as a layered scent, the Vetiver faded into the background and was lost in both the top notes and in the dry down. I was unimpressed.

The next day, I tried this by itself and found that this opens with a very light and pleasant, almost imperceptible Vetiver that fades quickly replaced by strong lemon that dries down to a sweet/sugary lemon drop. On the skin, it disappears very quickly and turns into a skin scent though a few sprays on your shirt (personally I prefer the back of the collar and on the top placket) brings out a long lasting candied lemon which makes it exceedingly pleasant and long lasting (4-6 hours). Its pleasant but short lived on skin which gets is a neutral rating from me.
01st September, 2014
Agree with Alhamr. This begins with a bright green Vetiver which momentarily gets you thinking 'Guerlain' but the simplicity of Malone rather than the complexity of Guerlain is there. Al so agree with rogalal. For a brief time it is bright indeed. However, on me, the Vetiver burns away to be replaced by a soap note, possibly my least favourite note in fragrance. From A Guerlain Vetiver wannabe to Mugler Cologne in 30 minutes. Fortunately it doesn't hang around long enough to annoy me too much. Thumbs up for the bright opening. Thumbs down for the dry down. Averages out around a wobbly sideways thumb. Ok.
04th April, 2013
AlHamr Show all reviews
Very like Guerlain Vetiver but less complex and interesting and a little more sweet and creamy. A very green opening with something a little dirty underneath in the dry down, reminiscent of sweat or charcoal.

Perfectly pleasant but underwhelming, as are both its sillage and longevity. I'll stick to my all time favourite Guerlain.
12th November, 2012 (last edited: 13th November, 2012)
Gentle but good clear vetiver note throughout, I later also get nut and gentle spices. Discrete, very modest silage and projection, lasting on me between 1-2 hours. Overall probably neutral, but the cleanness of the vetiver tilts it to a thumbs up.
20th September, 2012
Probably the brightest, sweetest vetiver scent I've tried.

There's a tried and true formula for vetiver scents, which pairs vetiver with nutmeg and lemon verbena on top and a chypre base on the bottom. Most vetivers, from Geurlain to Sycamore, follow this recipe and Jo Malone's is no exception. What she does differently is actually to cut out most of the vetiver. As such, hers is mostly a bright explosion of lemon verbena and nutmeg, further brightened with black pepper and a shot of wintergreen and sweetened with neroli. The vetiver is implied more than upfront (it's actually a fascinating case study - if you smell everything vetiver is usually mixed with, do you think you smell vetiver? I do, and it took me forever to figure out what was going on here).

If this sounds like some sort of put-down, it's not. Jo Malone's Vetyver is one of my favorites and is my go-to bottle when I want something really fresh that smells unique but is unlikely to offend anyone. Is it one of the world's great vetiver perfumes? I doubt it, but it certainly fills a spot in my wardrobe.
19th February, 2012
Not my fav Vetiver but good as an eveing scent and it lasts quite a while. Comme De Garcons much better but the 125ml bbottle makes it difficult to take on a plane as hand luggage so I take this in the small bottle!
26th June, 2011

Add your review of Vetyver

Shop for Vetyver products online

Shop for Vetyver at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Vetyver

Member images of Vetyver

There are no member images of Vetyver yet. Why not be the first?