Wellington Cologne (1876)
    by Geo F Trumper

Average Rating: 3.5

Based on 42 ratings

Wellington Cologne information

Wellington Cologne is a men's fragrance by Geo F Trumper. The scent was launched in 1876

Reviews of Wellington Cologne

Showing 1 to 6 of 18 reviews.
    positive 14 Positive Reviewsneutral4 Neutral Reviewsnegative No Negative Reviews

Marais's avatar

No sex please, we're British

A rather strait-laced affair of clean lemon, on a background of herbs (mainly verbena and rosemary) and woods. Overall, it is quite dry and somewhat antiseptic. There is a definite similarity to Blenheim Bouquet but Wellington predates it by over 25 years. Despite its mid-Victorian origins, this isn't just for wearers of starched clerical and Gladstone collars; it seems to fit today's sterile sensibilities well. More specifically, I see this suiting physiotherapists, gynaecologists and anyone else keen to avoid intimations of sexuality.

It comes in a glass shaker bottle; the opening is small enough to make over-application difficult by even the clumsiest klutz. Sillage is restrained but longevity is quite good at about 6 hours from a vigorous spattering.

Pros: Composed
    Cons: Staid"

13 October, 2013

rbaker's avatar

A longevity monster amongst Colognes

That bright summery top note combines a restrained lemon, a full-on neroli and a rosemary note, that in the drydown turns greener. This transforms into a mint aroma with a hint of eucalyptus, and after an aldehydic phase a strong pine note develops that I find indeed convincing. This is more that a traditional summer cologne; more complex and interesting by far. Additionally, on my skin it has great projection and excellent silage - and they last! Even more surprising, a - for a Cologne on me the longevity is a crazy seven hours. Being used to respray Colognes and most Creeds every hour or two - my annual bill for Hermes' EdOV is shameful - this is the most long-lasting Cologne I can recall for years. A Cologne of seminal characteristics and quality.

Pros: Longevity
    Cons:

18 June, 2013

rogalal's avatar

Wow, I'm just not enjoying Wellington very much. Candied lemon and bergamot on top mix with a mentholated pine-ish note to smell like some sort of over-sweetened lemon cough drop. Eventually, the lemon candy fades to a scratchy, dusty verbena that just sort of sits next to a weird, slightly "off" piney wood smell.

And that's about it. I'm not getting any magic or depth, just dusty old wood and lemon cleaner and sweet cough drops. Perhaps a much-needed reminder that not every surviving classic is a masterpiece...

22 March, 2013

Jack Hunter's avatar

Wooohh this one comes out swinging with a lovely lemony neroli orange. I can also detect a floral rosemary accord. The lemon in this instantly reminded me of when I was in Thailand having a drink in a outside bar. One hot night one of those exotic maidens of that land placed a cool towel fragranced with lemon onto my hot brow. Lol

I like this one a lot as it is so well blended. I love the way the lemon, orange, neroli and rosemary pine go well together.

15 January, 2012

Harvitz81's avatar

This is very, very similar to Pen’s BB. Has a very nice lemon opening that I find not too strong ala BB. As with most citrus based scents, this fades over time and a nice green pine note emerges with subtle lemon in the background. I may not be into this type of scent in general, but find this more enjoyable than BB as that has a “BO” type of note that doesn’t agree with me. Longevity is average.

24 September, 2011

Redbeard's avatar

After my recent physical and mental abuse by Blenheim Bouquet, I recalled this brew being a bit warmer and friendlier. It opens as a clean, slightly soapy but dry lemon, a bit like their excellent GFT. The lemon gets lemonier and more bitter, almost to the point of smelling like sweaty BO. This is the phase where I'd almost question the validity of the scent overall. But we patiently press on past the acrid herbs, and a new light green grassiness appears, deepened with a trace of rubbery anise. By the end, an amazing facet has revealed itself...the reedy, bamboo/grass type of note that I've come to love in the base of the new Guerlain Vetiver, new Eau Sauvage, Allure Edition Blanche, and perhaps even Encre Noire. It's sweeter and weaker here, with the rubber persisting, drawing me into a spotlessly clean, heavenly shoe store until it starts to fade leaving only the grassy reed/leaf scent with some florals. I'm really glad I gave this one another chance.

11th April, 2011