What About Adam (1997)

Average Rating: 3.5

Based on 55 ratings

What About Adam Fragrance Notes

What About Adam information

This delightfully fresh fragrance by Wolfgang Joop is the male counterpart to his 'All About Eve'. The grapefruit in the top notes hits you straight away.

Reviews of What About Adam

Showing 1 to 6 of 19 reviews.

rbaker's avatar

A sheer delight of a top note

He top note is quite unique in combining a mixed citrus with fresh tomato leaves and a light mint backdrop. It is wonderfully elegantly fresh and I could smell it for hours with pleasure. Florals, wood and just a smidgeon of a very gentle moss are added, but it never loses that beautifully fresh edge. Silage is poor and the projection limited, and given its characteristics I did not expect it to last, but was pleasantly surprised to get over four hours of longevity. Worth seeking out.

27 July, 2013

voodoodanny's avatar

A tomato and grapefruit powerhouse. This could easily strike someone as a huge synthetic headache in a bottle, but in the right hands (and on the right skin) it is a fairly masterful and utterly unique blend of greens, citrus and light woods. I'm still not entirely sure where I sit on this debate so, for now, it's a sideways pointy thumb in an orange circle from me.

Longevity and projection are really quite decent.

22 January, 2013

Attar's avatar

Scotland Scotland

This is my first review and I wanted to start off writing about one of my all time favorite fragrances. Sadly this one has been discontinued for a long time now and is damn near impossible to find!

Developed by french master perfumer Calice Becker and launched around 1997 back when she worked for a company called Quest International.
    The company soon was bought over by Givaudan who she now works for in New York. Since then she has went on to work with many big brand names such as Christian Dior and Estee Lauder. She has helped create and shape many unique fragrances and her skills and nose are much sought after by people in the perfume industry today.

This was one of her first fragrances that she created and I love how she makes the comparison to her approach in perfume making as a bit like a cook in the kitchen creating recipes for loved ones.

Personally I think "Joop: What about Adam" is a unique fresh and clean masculine fragrance that harmoniously balances fruity and floral tones. This starts off with a very citrus and sparkling mix of grapefruit that has undertones of rich earthy tomato leaves and refreshing minty notes that has a medium sillage on first impressions.

Throughout the day this fragrance looses its zesty punch that it initially delivers and develops into a mixture of dry woody and green herbal middle notes that stay intimatley close to the skin.
    Towards the end of it's life this fragrance still has one more secret to reveal and that is in the form of an ancient old mix of vetiver and labdanum complimented by sweet smelling vanilla and sumptuous tree dwelling oakmoss.

This scent is recommended for office wear perhaps because it's not heavy but instead has a light and airy quality about it, i find that it works just as well on a hot summers day even right through to a cool crisp winter evening. ( another fragrance i find that does this particularly well is "Happy for men" by Clinique with its crisp christmassy orange notes)

For me this "memory fragrance" reminds me of meeting my first love (I was wearing this when we met) and spending the cool spring afternoons alone with her in a garden somewhere. Playful yet innocent and youthful on first encounters then devloping into something more deeper,thoughtful and enduring.
    It encapsulates the more masculine side of the Adam and Eve story and it can clearly be seen in the product name that it was Calice Beckers inspiration for creating this unique mix.

Final thought about this fragrance is that it's unique but not as bold as others out there on the market today that SHOUT "Hey look at me" . This fragrance is more gentle and comforting and does not even come close to any of the Joop fragrances that came before or after it.
    This one is a bit like Joop's unloved child that was out shined and overpowered by others in their fragrance line and has since been disowned by the company.

It's a shame this happens and since then I have been searching for that perfect green scent that reminds me of this but no one i know of has got the composition right yet.

This fragrance is like a personality bottled up and I find that it suits me so well, when i wear it i get compliments from both men and women asking where i got it and what i have on.
    The rarity of this makes it even more unique and just knowing that no one I know has this makes it even more special for me.

Lastly i wanted to add that this fragrance has such a strong personal meaning for me, so much so that i even attempted to recreate it using pure juice extracted from the raw materials listed and i even went out and collected my own oakmoss but to no avail as the mix and balance was all wrong. lol (amateur at best).

Somewhere out there is a girl that adores the female counter part of this as much as i love this one..and if ever we met i would instantly know "All about Eve"

Also i feel sympathy for the guy that wrote the negative review on here about him coming out the shower all crispy fresh after using the full product line only to find out that his wife can't stand it. Sorry to hear that lol ...but my girlfriend loved this on me and coincidentally her favorite perfume is J'adore by Christian Dior also created by Calice Becker!

This woman is an olfactory genius and for this creation her inspiration was Adam and Eve, a timeless but universal story of when boy meets girl.

17 July, 2011

littleprince's avatar

Hungary Hungary

My "memory-perfume"...Wearing it,for me,is a very special feeling..Reminds me some good memories from the "old good times" when I was a child. Who grew up in small town or had own garden with tomato plants knows how I mean.When I was little kid my mother went to the garden and I follow her. Her fine sweet perfume (I don't remember what was that--perhaps Impulse Incognito :-)) mixed in my nose with that weird smell of tomato leaves..was so amazing..
    Joop! Adam captured that feeling.

Unfortunately this is a discontinued fragrance..But I love that smell in the top where smooth vanilla is mixed with tomato leaves and mint..Perfect. Fortunately I had luck to purchase on ebay 5 bottles in the last minute :) Now I have to use them,cause it's not good to store them too long. I tried any other tomato fragrances,but it was the best ( Puma Aqua too spicy,Halston Unbound is too light,but I love,Demeter Tomato is too earthy and heavy,Lacoste Essential sweeter than Adam was).

If anybody has idea what perfume I should have to try which is similar to this one,notice me,please!! ..and I'm waiting for...perhaps there will be a perfume-creator who "catches" again the feeling for me...or Adam will be continued :)

22 March, 2011

PigeonMurderer's avatar

Finland Finland

I like it. I think its quite unique green aromatic scent.

Fresh and very natural smelling; I get a wonderful accord that smells like a sweet ripe grain. Like I was inhaling deep in some mill.
    Tomato leaf with mint adds a subtle tart and very crispy tone to it; reminds me of dry rhubarb leafs use to smell.
    Rounded woods with semi-sweet musky base cuts off the edge from the crisp green citrusy notes very nicely.

Nice, personable fresh earthy green scent that is also right way masculine.

Questionable lasting power drops this down to neutral rating.

I love the name! (All About Eve for Women & What About Adam for Men was a brilliant realizationů)

15 February, 2009

Maddyrain's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Great citrus fragrance! It's kinda funny, but the official Joop! website does not list it anymore, and it became really hard to find it nowadays.
    The beginning is an explosion of grapefruit, evolving to something more comfortable... Great staying power, as well as its sillage. Highly recommended to those looking for a good green scent.

30th July, 2008

Add your review of What About Adam

Search for on eBay United States

Joop - JOOP WHAT ABOUT ADAM Mini Size Bottle Cologne NEW free s/h
    • Time Left: 27 days
    (Shipping from United States)
    WHAT ABOUT ADAM by Joop 2.5 OZ/75ML After Shave Balm for Men-Discontinued!
    • Time Left: 24 days
    • Time Left:
    joop what about adam SET 4 PC 2.5 OZ SPRAY+DEODORANT+BODY WASH+AFTER SHAVE MEN
    • Time Left: 14 days
    (Shipping from United States)
    JOOP WHAT ABOUT ADAM 2.5 OZ / 75 ML EAU DE TOILETTE EDT SPRAY FOR MEN NEW IN BOX
    • Time Left: 22 days