Basenotes needs your help!

If you have found this site valuable, useful or entertaining, would you be willing to support us? Our current goal is to upgrade our ageing forum system and bring it to the modern age! Find out More here

X for Men (2001)
by Clive Christian

X for Men information

Year of Launch2001

HouseClive Christian
PerfumerGeza Schoen

About X for Men

X for Men is a masculine fragrance by Clive Christian. The scent was launched in 2001 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Geza Schoen

X for Men fragrance notes

Reviews of X for Men

X For Men is one of my absolute favorite smells in perfumery. That being said, it suffers from a rather drastic design flaw.

Its smell is complex, blended in such a way that individual notes are hard to pinpoint, except for cardamom, which is the primary smell. I smell a pinch of ginger, but it's more of a "lift" than a direct smell. And there's a familiar mix of clove and cinnamon, but they combine with the cardamom to just smell spicy and masculine instead of like Christmas potpourri or Spicebomb. There's iris, but it comes across as a luxurious richness rather than a specific smell. And there's what I'm guessing is clary sage and coriander, giving additional spiciness as well as the effect of fruity tea.

The whole thing is enchanting. Soft of like tea, sort of spicy, sort of green, sort of fruity, sort of like chai (but not really), and bright but grounded in a luxurious richness.

The problem is that it has no base. Theoretically, it's a temperamental ambergris and some sort of skin musk, but it's pretty much undetectable, so X basically just lasts a few hours and then disappears. I'm so deeply in love with the topnotes that I don't mind, but I wouldn't be doing my job as a critic if I didn't point out that short longevity and missing basenotes in a perfume of this price will likely be an issue for many people.
30th January, 2018
As a woman, I could wear this. It's a bright and lively scent. I can smell most of the ingredients. The longevity leaves something to be desired. I swear, after a half an hour, it's gone!

Unless I received a freebie somewhere, I certainly would not seek out any more samples of this house. I have cheap, celebrity-endorsed perfumes, that smell just as good for far less bank.
10th December, 2017
X gets a thumbs up but there is nothing here that warrants the price. I like the cinnamon cardamom and cedar combination, but something is missing. Like a song with all bass notes, this is missing a treble chord. Something like orange oil or even bergamot would balance this better. Nice fragrance but at $400/bottle, it falls short. Dry-down is MUCH nicer, after 15 min. the cedar comes out more, giving some "treble notes" to the otherwise bass note frag.
UPDATE:
Projection/Sillage is horrible. I spritzed 3, couldn't smell unless I lifted my collar. Spritzed 2 more, Now I catch thin whisps of it. My wife had to bury her nose in my neck to smell. Even at a discount price of $250/50mls, I'd go through a bottle in a week trying to get some projection. Not worth the price.
26th July, 2017 (last edited: 31st July, 2017)
Starts off with balsamic cardamom with sourness, then starts fading pretty quickly. Not for me at this price.
21st April, 2017
Stardate 20161005:

I dislike this house and its SAs. Pretentious and stretching truth - more so than the others.
But this one is a good fragrance. Kinda like Ormonde Jayne man.
Does not last long but it is good while it lasts. The pepper and cardamom play very well together.
Pretty linear and expensive.
05th October, 2016
X for Men is my favorite of the Clive Christian perfumes from testing at their fragrance counters. The overall accord strikes me as just ok, a little sour, but up close the individual ingredients smell interesting.
24th July, 2016