Yatagan (1976)
    by Caron

Yatagan Fragrance Notes

Shop for Yatagan products online

Reviews of Yatagan

Showing 1 to 6 of 149 reviews.

Kain's avatar
    Kain
    Iran Iran

I've heard a lot of good things (also bad things!) about this fragrance for years and I didn't have a chance to test it out and see which one is correct until a few days ago that I got a sample.
    After putting it on my skin and smelling it, the opening made me smile.
    This is just outstanding!
    The opening is perfect combination of lots of nots that mixed and balanced together masterfully.
    At the opening I can smell a bitter herbal and piny scent with lots of woods and some spices.
    There is a warm and sensual amber note here too to balance these bitter herbal and woodsy notes and give them more sensual feeling.
    I loved the opening because this fragrance has lots of layers and all the notes are right at their position which makes it very complex.
    In the dry down I can smell almost the same smell but now some incense from the base kicked in and gave the scent slightly smoky aroma.
    It's warm and semi sweet, but bitter herbal and a little smoky at the same time.
    In the base I can feel more changes.
    The scent settles down a little bit and castoreum joined the party.
    The base is a soft dirty animalic smell with a little bit of sweetness and some woods and a good support of earthy patchouli.
    The scent has a mature and classic vibe indeed and also it has a little barber shop feeling that you can find in many classic fragrances back in 70's and 80's, but for me it's still a modern scent and I don't have any problem wearing it because in my opinion it doesn't smell dated.
    Projection is really good and longevity is around 10-12 hours on my skin.

05 April, 2014

JackTwist's avatar
    JackTwist

This so reminds me of Lauder's Aramis, but without the sweetness. This is drier, more herbal and a welcome alternate take on that classic.

Aramis debuted in 1965 and Yatagan in 1976. They share 10 notes: Bergamot and Artemesia in the top notes, Jasmine, Vetiver and Patchouli in the middle; and Leather, Oak Moss, Castoreum, Amber and Musk in the base notes. No surprise that they smell alike.

I much prefer Yatagan to Aramis, which can be at times too sharp or too sweet. The balance in Yatagan is just right.

Top notes: Bergamot, Artemesia (wormwood), Lavender, Petitgrain, Galbanun, Origanum
    Middle notes: Jasmine, Vetiver, Patchouli, Carnation, Pine, Geranium
    Base notes: Olibanum, Leather, Labdanum, Oak Moss, Castoreum, Styrax, Amber, Musk

12 March, 2014

ericrico's avatar
    ericrico

To approach a written review with Yatagan, one must first understand what the Caron house represents...uncompromising, avant-garde, classic and amazing perfumery - creations go back many decades! Yatagan was first released in 1976. If you haven't smelled Vintage - well, then you have not truly smelled the animalic notes that were once in here. It has been tamed - the Yatagan blade has been "dulled and sheathed", to a degree. However, it is still a wonderful (and perhaps) more wearable scent than before in today's world.

Lessened to a good degree is the castoreum and that note, in and of itself, transcended the entire composition. But, I respect what Caron has done here - as their other two main masculine scents have evolved as well. Sure, one can argue that Vintage of ALL 3 are superior...but we are still left with wonderful scents in the current juice of Caron Pour Un Homme, Le Troisieme Homme and...Yatagan. Without a doubt, this is the most difficult of the three to approach - let alone wear, for some. It is, to me, very good, close to excellent (in current formulation). Vintage is excellent.

The boozy opening is comprised of rich and pungent artemisia (wormwood), deep & resinous galbanum, sharp lavender, along with a nice 'tossed herbal salad' blend of basil, mint and watercress (which create the "celery" accord). If you want to minimize the "celery" accord, spray close and rub in. Really 'stack' the scent - it is more potent and longer lasting this way as well, with slower development. People mention other herbs, including rosemary - which I get the bitter earthiness of, however, it could be an accord. The mint on top is not light or 'fresh' - it is mentholated and comes in like a cool mountain breeze after the warm booziness of the galbanum and artemisia/worm wood calm down. Wow. Not for the faint of heart, still. Caron continues to take pride in ALL of their classic bottlings!

Into the striking heart of fragrant pine needles, woody vetiver, and herbaceous and slight camphorous patchouli...wilderness surrounds you. The aromatics here are wonderful. Oakmoss is listed as a heart note. I do not detect it until a light touch shows (in the reformulation) in the dry down/base notes. This is stark green, dry woodiness and very aromatic throughout most of the wearing in the heart. Possibly my favorite part of the composition as I adore the rich, boozy opening and the segue into this pulsating heart. When you where this, it is best to close your eyes and breathe. It is, like Caron Pour Un Homme and Le Troisieme Homme, truly transcendental and can carry you to a far-away place.

The base notes breathe through as a slightly dirty, warm musk is the key animalic note now. It is done well here - keeping the Yatagan-vibe as castoreum is only a faint note in the current juice as compared to before. Deep, resinous and still very much a green scent throughout. The key note in the base, for me, is a nice warm leather note, that is more 'raw' leather that is distant from a soft suede and more "fresh-cut" than a saddle note, although it does seem to dry down to that after an hour or so.

Final "note" of discussion - and an important one as it really delivers a lot to the composition. A light smokiness enters with the touch of green moss in the base. That 'incense' accord is actually coming from styrax (or benzoin resin) - a wonderful, smoky note that seems to create plumes that weave their way through to nearly the top opening. Brilliant. It does not sweeten the scent - but, instead adds warm depth and a touch of light smoke. Enchanting and wonderful vibe...

So, where does Yatagan take me? If I close my eyes and meditate - I am riding on a mighty steed, in the cool crisp air surrounded by forest on a leather saddle. In another life, an Ottoman Turkish soldier on horseback, my sabre (a sharp Yatagan) held in my hand! I smell the fresh wood of the pine trees in the coniferous forest around me, pungent green notes, fresh-cut herbs and smoky resins from the bushes that grow out of the damp soil. I am alone in the wilderness...far away in a distant time & place.

You cannot possibly over-think this fragrance. To say it is 'masculine' is completely rhetorical and meaningless. The best comment I received while wearing it was from my wife, who said, "...it smells exotic and rich, yet comforting." It is not about 'smelling like celery' at all - in actuality, Yatagan is a work of olfactory art that only some will enjoy wearing. Not for everyone - as no bottle from the timeless and uncompromising house of Caron is. To me, true excellence in composition. You choose when you wear it...

Cheers.

07 January, 2014

lilyboy's avatar
    lilyboy

yatagan experience

just to share my initial experience:

have just received and tried this and honestly the first thing that came to my mind was OMG, this is what i hoped diptyue virgilio would have been.. different but i guess it's the herbal aspect of both that i found was similar somehow.. i love virgilio.. i want to use it.. but there's something in it that sadly makes me nauseous, (i think it's the sweet hay accord)

yup i love 'weird' perfumes.. this.. l'autre.. l'autre i blind bought but sort of expected how it smelled like.. yatagan was a surprise and a good one personally :)

the rest i think have been said by other reviewers and they are all true :))

23 October, 2013

RHINORAY's avatar
    RHINORAY

I'M HOOKED AND IT'S AFFORDABLE GO FIGURE!

GREAT FALL and WINTER FRAGRANCE. DEEP, RICH AND WELL BLENDED, A QUALITY JUICE.

Pros: DEEP & RICH CAN'T GET ENOUGH
    Cons: NOT SEXY TO MY WIFE, BUT WHO CARES I LOVE IT!"

09 August, 2013

fan.of.devin's avatar
    fan.of.devin

Celery seed, and more celery seed... with a hint of fresh celery.
    Only in the tail end of the drydown do some other spices bloom through.

A unique scent no doubt, and not a bad one, but not at all what I was hoping for. IMO Yatagan is not deserving of it's reputation as an uber-masculine powerhouse.

11th May, 2013