Yatagan (1976)

PerfumerVincent Marcello
Parent CompanyAles Group
Parent Company at launchA.H. Robins

About Yatagan

Yatagan is a masculine fragrance by Caron. The scent was launched in 1976 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Vincent Marcello

Yatagan fragrance notes

Reviews of Yatagan

I remember buying this in 1976, when it had just been launched. I was in Selfridges and tried a spay of Yatagan on my wrist. I recoiled in horror, and left the store. I thought it was the most unpleasant fragrance I had ever smelled (Kouros was yet to be released). 20 minutes later I was back and had bought a bottle. I have never experienced such a quick and complete 180 degree change of opinion before, or since.

Such a complex fragrance needs to be learned. I still own some of an old bottle of Yatagan, and, trying to keep it for as long as possible, wear it rarely. I also have a more recent bottle which I wear a lot. Comparing the two shows how this beast has been tamed. The later is a shadowy caricature of the former, and whilst still good is as nothing when smelled side by side with the original. If you like leather and Patchouli, then this is for you. If you hate the smell of Celery (and those that do, hate with a passion) avoid this (especially the vintage version).
12th June, 2016
When I first smelled this it made me smile, because it reminded me of a particular shampoo I knew from my childhood, called Vosene (it may be still around) - I think it was made from coaltar, or at least smelled like it. This scent specifically reminds me not just of the shampoo, but of the smell of hair being washed in that shampoo.
So that's my personal memory. As far as the notes are concerned, I get pine, a strong animalic note (like the one in Chanel Antaeus), and a strong resinous, smoky, medicinal, herbal quality, also with a slight sweetness that comes through later in the dry down, a bit like the strong, bitter, dark, herbal liqueurs popular in Germany and Austria drunk after meals.
It's certainly not a shrinking violet. Yatagan is in your face, masculine, "love it or hate it". In my albeit limited experience, I've never smelled anything quite like it.
I love it. It has the presence of manly greats like Polo, Kouros, Antaeus, Quorum and won't necessarily get compliments from the masses, I imagine, but who cares.
Sillage and longevity both moderate to strong. Sales price very reasonable.
June 2016
11th June, 2016
This has to be the most erotic, narcissistic (in the best way possible--I can't stop smelling my wrist) men's fragrance ever. I'd thought Bvlgari Black held that title--now, I realize it's a mere babe in the woods compared to this irresistible beast.
23rd May, 2016
Among the best 5 frags I've used and owned for the past 30+ years. Luckily still available in Middle East or the odd discount stores in Toronto or Dubai, besides EBay. I still own 2 unopened bottles of the original burgundy & white packaging.

Be warned this is a power punch, delivered without compromise or soft gloves and if you're lucky to have the skin chemistry that goes with it, you'll get hooked forever. Kudos to the perfumer (whose last name matches my first ;-) who could come up with this gem back in the 70's. But then the 70's were the last time we were creative.

Don't know about the celery scent, but the powerful, heavy resin top tone, with humid earth-dry leaves undertones and the bitter wormwood base is something I have been looking for all my life. Goes well with my taste for burning frankincense and other oriental mixtures.

Highly recommended, both for price and intoxicating uniqueness. A keeper for life so stock up.
22nd February, 2016
This is Warpaint. Men use this in Battle to terrorize the enemy and win the hearts of the women.
At least that was the vision evoked. We were teenage, full of the big "T". This was our armour.
Rites of Passage.
Brutal and Necessary!
26th January, 2016
100% Uncompromising !

I guess thats the right word to sum up what Yatagan represents and it is difficult to put it into any specific category.

When applied (carefully please) it starts off with artemisia and wormwood combined with petitgrain and geranium, a quite different combination lacking any sweetness.

I don't get the animalic facet here, neither the often commented cellery note, but rather a scent resulting of a combination of nature in fall, combined with humid earth. Yatagan is like dry leaves, coniferous expanses, a warm gust through evergreens after a rainy day, very calming and conforting.

It's a bit sharp in the opening, yes, and it's a very bold statement compared to popular men's fragrances, but it's not a rude statement. And that's a big difference.

Pine, yes. Geranium, yes. Artemisia must be that bitter slap in the opening. And there are midle notes coming in and fading out like Vetiver, Patchouli, Castoreum and some Styrax. Overall, it's dark green, bitterly comforting, evocative, and, I'm starting to think, quite addictive.

However: Don't blind buy this one, as it is really very, very different, in a very positive way, though. You love it or you hate it and it's probably one of the most polarizing combination of scents I have met up to now.

19th January, 2016

Add your review of Yatagan

Shop for Yatagan products online

Shop for Yatagan at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Yatagan

Member images of Yatagan

There are no member images of Yatagan yet. Why not be the first?