Yatagan (1976)

PerfumerVincent Marcello
Parent CompanyAles Group
Parent Company at launchA.H. Robins

About Yatagan

Yatagan is a masculine fragrance by Caron. The scent was launched in 1976 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Vincent Marcello

Yatagan fragrance notes

Reviews of Yatagan

There's quite a lot of nonsense written about this scent. It is not some unwearable monster with unspeakable scents of animal nether regions. What there is the most warm, enveloping, and frankly unique mixture of pine forests, warm leather, and bitter aromatic herbs that stick fairly close to your skin. To date I've not found a single person who hasn't loved smelling it. It gives me as the wearer a feeling of a second skin, something leather or fur. There are definite overtones of saddle leather, and feel of having just dismounted after a hard gallop on the finest steed. A scent to be treasured, and one I hope never goes out of production in my lifetime.
11th July, 2017
Zowiee Show all reviews
Fabulous scent, just fabulous! The whole is much more than the sum of the individual notes, and there are notes aplenty! The fragrance seems to continually revolve around the heart and basenotes. Top notes do stay for a long time, which is a plus! Quite an alchemy of scents, a fragrance elixir I adore!
05th May, 2017 (last edited: 11th May, 2017)
Love this. It took me years to find this. I had always passed it over - the low price point led me to intuit that it couldn't be anything special. I can say that this is as complex and high in quality as any $200 bottle that I've ever purchased. The dry-down is the best I've encountered.

The smell of Yatagan reminds me of a specific scent memory from before I discovered Yatagan:
Skiing in the Alps with friends, staying in a small, old log cabin with a fireplace. Wood smoke, alcohol, incense, and a little sweat.
19th March, 2017
Not nearly as remarkable as others claim it to be.. I like this fragrance a lot, but it's basically
Polo Green. Or, perhaps polo green is yatagan. I don't find this perfume too remarkable but it's a safe scent to wear on any occasion. I like it a lot. I smell polo green personally ..... and polo green is in every store from Walgreens to sephora. I don't consider this cologne to be a male powerhouse in any way, shape, or form. Taking away all the hype, reviews, and claims, i adore this fragrance because it has notes of incense and pine. It's really quite unobjectionable in every way and I don't quite understand people asserting how yatagan is so polarizing or even original. It's a safe green scent that I could wear daily, anywhere, on all occasions. I think if you want a powerhouse scent, stick with creed bois du Portugal or Santa Maria novella peau de espana..... or even Knize ten. Yatagan is mild by comparison, but pleasant, fresh, and green.
05th February, 2017
I have the vintage version with the red label and would not recommend buying the new version. I don't think anyone would produce this scent these days, it's not sweet, aquatic, fresh, or has oud.

This is dry, intensely herbal with pine, woodworm and concentrated celery notes. I get none of the musky, dirty or animalistic aromas just mostly wood and herbs.

If I were to blind smell this I think I could pick this out of a large crowd it is very different. It might not appeal to many and it's a mature, outdoorsy scent with sillage and projection that is outstanding depending on your environment.

Very polarizing and a must for serious collector.

09th January, 2017 (last edited: 29th January, 2017)
Vincent Marcello was a very busy boy in the mid-late 70's and early 80's! The genetic fingerprint in his work is clearly apparent with Caron Yatagan, Halston Z-14 and Phileas by Nina Ricci. Of the three, the Halston is the easiest to wear, but the Yatagan is the most unique. All are well crafted with excellent projection and longevity.

Pine needles, woodworm, castoreum and tons of styrax set this into a frenzy of carnal delight. *Visions of ticked-off lumberjacks tying you naked to a tree in a damp, cold pine forest come to mind. Sorta exposed for the world to see (and smell)!

Yatagan is exceedingly strange and oddly exhilarating both at once. Just don't wear this one to church!
28th December, 2016

Add your review of Yatagan

Shop for Yatagan products online

Shop for Yatagan at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Yatagan

Member images of Yatagan

There are no member images of Yatagan yet. Why not be the first?