Zizanie (1932)

HouseFragonard

About Zizanie

Zizanie is a masculine fragrance by Fragonard. The scent was launched in 1932

Reviews of Zizanie

Brilliant floral oriental, currently available at great prices. Don't think, just buy.
11th November, 2016
AH, ZIZANIE, take me back to my young-man years!

I used to wear this everyday - surprised no one ever said WHAT THE HELL IS THAT?!?

I joined Basenotes because of all the reviews on Zizanie. I found a bottle of it through my perfumer and am wearing again - wanted to see what Dr Turin and his wife said about it - but can't find it in their book. Went on Basenotes to see all the controversy, then went to reviews for Zizanie - many people know alot more about the science of perfume than I do!

So i enjoyed learning about my old friend - the exotic floral..... Even the "thumbs down" reviews were well-written. I can't smell the patchouli people are talking about - but then, I also can't smell the licorice that is apparently part of Yohji pour Homme. All of you reviewers do such good work - makes some of us shy!
14th April, 2013 (last edited: 22nd April, 2013)
I just love this stuff. Similar to Royal Cophenhagen, but much better than RC's current formula.

Very old school, but lacks the stankiness (tangy copper-like note and powderiness without richness) that old-school reformulations often smell of (ie, if neither RC, Lagerfeld, other had been reformulated, I see them as being eternally "classic"). There IS as already said, a sort of gaminess to this fragrance. Hard to pick out the Jasmine and Ylang as individual notes, but its that richness, almost meatiness, that it gives the fragrance. Very classical, very masculine, very nice.
16th August, 2012
shamu1 Show all reviews
Holy cow, this is one of the muskiest fragrances I have ever smelled. There's a gamey, animalic musk all over Zizanie, along with some jasmine for even more raunchiness. Zizanie comes from the Royal Copenhagen, Stetson and Black Suede school of men's fragrances - a floral oriental - and probably was the main inspiration for those, since it came out long before them.

I don't find Zizanie to be as powdery as everyone else describes it. Maybe that's because I have the eau de cologne version, I don't know. What I do know is that this is some pretty strong, old school stuff, and I like it. If you've worn Royal Copenhagen, you'll have some idea of what this is like, though it's less powdery, more animalic, and more aromatic than RC. There's lots of patchouli in this, which also prevents this from turning into some dandified powder pouf.

I like how this exudes silvery-haired class. If you want to smell like old-guard manliness, Zizanie is right up your alley.

MY RATING: 7.5/10
17th March, 2011
A strident fragrance that might have done well in the 1930's when people showered and bathed less frequently than now, or when they were exposed to acrid and rank smelling French cigarette smoke. But for non smokers who shower daily, this excessively potent and almost nauseatingly powdery fragrance is anachronistic.
04th May, 2010 (last edited: 07th August, 2010)
bokaba Show all reviews
One powdery, dusty, musty mess. The opening is a dusky citrus muted by a very prominent powder right away. Synthetic and awful.
23rd November, 2009

Add your review of Zizanie

Shop for Zizanie products online

Oops! Unable to talk to eBay. Let us know if this problem persists

Member images of Zizanie

There are no member images of Zizanie yet. Why not be the first?