Gold Man (1983)

Year of Launch1983

HouseAmouage
PerfumerGuy Robert

About Gold Man

As mystical as the land its from. Like dark Arabian nights this complex scent captures the moment with a sultry composition of Rock Rose and Civet to create a rich alluring aroma. Top notes of citrus add a sparkle to this otherwise mystical scent. [AN]

Gold Man fragrance notes

Reviews of Gold Man

.I'm gonna sample 2 versions at the same time here...one one hand I'm putting Gold from a sample bottle in the Men's assortment box from a # of years back, so I'm pretty sure it's what was in the old non-magnetic top bottles...on the other hand I'm putting the Khanjar version from the beautiful old crystal bottle...as the years go by I hope my nose gets more and more educated and I can discern more about a fragrance I'm smelling...I happened to run across an old note from the 1st time I smelled Gold, and I was just writing short impressions for myself....for Gold I had " smells like a cat pissed on a flower bouquet and someone tried hiding the smell by dusting it with baby powder "...anyway, here goes with the current sniff-off...sample bottle first - retro aldhyde blast of civet...over my two olfactory/collecting journeys I've grown very fond of animalic fragrances, and this is the bomb!!! This has to be the most animalic men's scent Amouage has,,,I can't really think of another one that even comes close...there's flowers and musk , but the civet rules...doesn't strike me as being as baby powder powdery as the 1st time I smeled it...now it seems more like the pleasant smelling talc that the barber dusts the back of your neck with...Ok...gonna put some of the Khanjar on the other hand...wow...like 2 totally different fragrances...it's like the treble got turned down and the base pumped up...ther's the aldehydic smell and effect, but not the shriek like in the sample...civet is awesome, but much more laid back, and I swear I smell citrus...I trhink I can say this safely without having to smell any further that Khanjar version is the hands down winner...as they dry down they somewhat merge and start smelling a little more like each other, but you would have no problem identifying which is wich...with the sample it just was an overall flower accor to me...in the Khanjar , I can smell a delicate rose...an absolutely grand/opulent/rich/classy fragrance...
09th July, 2018
All I can say, is: I'm glad I didn't explore the Amouage line in chronological order.

I read up on this one and somewhere there was the wisdom "definitely try before you buy" and so I got a sample from Luckyscent. I got through the initial blast of granny's partially-soiled bloomers, tiptoeing around the house trying to avoid my wife. She can be quite critical. The next phase hit around 45 minutes in and it was this Avon rose soap kind of thing, but if you sniff your wrist I'll be damned if it doesn't smell like burning polystyrene. Anybody who, as a boy, lit a plastic model tank on fire knows what I am talking about.

Neutral rating because I didn't hate it. It ain't my cup of tea, mainly because I don't like my tea with cat pee in it.
21st May, 2018
A terribly fussy floral fragrance. Granny's bathroom is about right. I'm actually surprised at the number of neutral votes; I'd expect this to be almost entirely polarising. Another surprise is how far it is from the others in the Amouage lineup I've tried, like Memoir, Figment, Epic Man, Jubilation XXV. For me this one is a hard "no, not at all, thanks".
24th December, 2017
Stardate 20171120:

A floral of bygone era. Lots of white flower and indoles. Aldehydes are the right amount here (not crazy like No 5).
A great solid juice.
Not going to be popular with men for sure.
Reminds me a lot of Joy
20th November, 2017
I only read the reviews for this one after testing it, and they had me laughing out loud; so many of you poor boys were horrified and insulted by this fragrance! I kind of understand the shocked reactions, but I definitely don't agree.

So on to the scent: The resemblance to Gold woman (which I own and love) is clear from the get go. There's a similarity in the bright, floral opening, which is dominated by a strong lily of the valley note. However, there's also a darker undertone present that I don't get in Gold woman: incense and civet are lurking around the corner.

The combined effect is properly stunning and for me both familiar and unfamiliar, which keeps me on my toes. Going forward, the scent seems to have two faces, alternating between Gold man: the floral-powdery-soapy-with-an-incense-twist-twin-of-Gold-woman, and Gold man: a reincarnation of a deeply animalic vintage floral.

The former is quite comfortable and familiar to me, while latter is a remarkable experience. In those moments I feel like I'm wearing something of bygone days that should come in a tiny crystal bottle with a hefty IFRA warning. It's probably the civet, which can't possibly be the real thing, but it's extremely convincing. It actually smells a little like Bal a Versailles, but with a more exotic undertone due to the strong incense base.

I think this stage especially fantastic, and it makes me want to try all the animalic vintage florals. My credit card is crying foul already.

So in conclusion: this is probably not for everyone, but do try it, it's quite the experience. It's also very potent, so handle with care!
19th October, 2017
This is, without a doubt, the thickest, most regal scent I have ever encountered. It smells like Arpege, but irradiated and then pee-ed upon by a roomful of civet cats. It is truly glorious. Rosey incense with pristine lily of the valley, all infused with the most unctuous of animalic civet. It is powdery, yes, but powder with a purpose--the purpose being to drug or stupefy the florals into the most heady, languorous repose. This is the scent of someone who does not work or toil, but merely exists in a glorified state while others scramble to do his or her bidding. Wow.
02nd October, 2017

10 Niche Amouage samples Gold Man, Opus VI, Epic, Beloved, Opus 1 and more

• USD $27.99
  • Time Left: 27 days
  • Shipping from: United States

3x Amouage Mens Man Sample Lot Set 2mL/0.06oZ ea Epic Gold Sunshine New in Cards

• USD $14.99
  • Listing Type: Auction with Buy it Now – 0 Bid(s)
  • Time Left: 1 day
  • Shipping from: United States

6 x Amouage Mens Man Sample Lot Set 2mL Honour Epic Gold Sunshine Silver Figment

• USD $39.99
  • Listing Type: Auction with Buy it Now – 0 Bid(s)
  • Time Left: 1 day