Gold Man (1983)

Year of Launch1983

HouseAmouage
PerfumerGuy Robert

About Gold Man

As mystical as the land its from. Like dark Arabian nights this complex scent captures the moment with a sultry composition of Rock Rose and Civet to create a rich alluring aroma. Top notes of citrus add a sparkle to this otherwise mystical scent. [AN]

Gold Man fragrance notes

Reviews of Gold Man

Stardate 20171120:

A floral of bygone era. Lots of white flower and indoles. Aldehydes are the right amount here (not crazy like No 5).
A great solid juice.
Not going to be popular with men for sure.
Reminds me a lot of Joy
20th November, 2017
I only read the reviews for this one after testing it, and they had me laughing out loud; so many of you poor boys were horrified and insulted by this fragrance! I kind of understand the shocked reactions, but I definitely don't agree.

So on to the scent: The resemblance to Gold woman (which I own and love) is clear from the get go. There's a similarity in the bright, floral opening, which is dominated by a strong lily of the valley note. However, there's also a darker undertone present that I don't get in Gold woman: incense and civet are lurking around the corner.

The combined effect is properly stunning and for me both familiar and unfamiliar, which keeps me on my toes. Going forward, the scent seems to have two faces, alternating between Gold man: the floral-powdery-soapy-with-an-incense-twist-twin-of-Gold-woman, and Gold man: a reincarnation of a deeply animalic vintage floral.

The former is quite comfortable and familiar to me, while latter is a remarkable experience. In those moments I feel like I'm wearing something of bygone days that should come in a tiny crystal bottle with a hefty IFRA warning. It's probably the civet, which can't possibly be the real thing, but it's extremely convincing. It actually smells a little like Bal a Versailles, but with a more exotic undertone due to the strong incense base.

I think this stage especially fantastic, and it makes me want to try all the animalic vintage florals. My credit card is crying foul already.

So in conclusion: this is probably not for everyone, but do try it, it's quite the experience. It's also very potent, so handle with care!
19th October, 2017
This is, without a doubt, the thickest, most regal scent I have ever encountered. It smells like Arpege, but irradiated and then pee-ed upon by a roomful of civet cats. It is truly glorious. Rosey incense with pristine lily of the valley, all infused with the most unctuous of animalic civet. It is powdery, yes, but powder with a purpose--the purpose being to drug or stupefy the florals into the most heady, languorous repose. This is the scent of someone who does not work or toil, but merely exists in a glorified state while others scramble to do his or her bidding. Wow.
02nd October, 2017
I have sampled this on a number of occasions, and I still love it! I have tried to look for the 'too feminine' or 'too floral for men' element, but haven't found it. Yes, it is aldehydic, floral and with civet, but it also has frankincense, resins and possibly other more 'masculine' elements.

It is regal, unique and not for young boys. The right woman can surely also pull it off.

One spray is sufficient - you don't want to overwhelm your lover.

02nd October, 2017
Hmm. Yes, this is an outgrowth of Hermes Equipage with a Robe weaved in threads of Gold Thread. As it is worn the Hem is rubbed by my pet Civet. There is a vague urinous funk.

This is certainly the Cat's ass. I want some.
15th September, 2017
bokaba Show all reviews
I certainly respect the Amouage line and its focus on high quality ingredients in the tradition of oriental perfumery. Gold has likely been reformulated for the worse in recent years (though I have not smelled the original). Gold opens with a light citric blast followed by white flowers, a pink rose accord (perhaps Turkish or Rose de Mai), followed by a light civiet/powdery base. The white florals are too strong and make the fragrance to feminine overall especially in the opening and heart. The drydown is much more pleasant.

At this price, one could do better with Rose d'Homme, Creed Fleur de Bulgarie, No. 88, etc. The rose note, which here is fabled by Amouage, is not the dark, brooding Bulgarian Rose absolute it is made out to be.

Amouage Gold is probably better than 95% of current perfumes, but still doesn't excite me.
14th October, 2016

Add your review of Gold Man

Shop for Gold Man products online

Shop for Gold Man at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Gold Man

Member images of Gold Man

There are no member images of Gold Man yet. Why not be the first?