Gold Man (1983)

Year of Launch1983

HouseAmouage
PerfumerGuy Robert

About Gold Man

As mystical as the land its from. Like dark Arabian nights this complex scent captures the moment with a sultry composition of Rock Rose and Civet to create a rich alluring aroma. Top notes of citrus add a sparkle to this otherwise mystical scent. [AN]

Gold Man fragrance notes

Reviews of Gold Man

Musky, soapy, floral, like taking a bath in the clawfoot tub at my grandmotherís cottage in the seventies. Well done but I wouldnít wear it.
03rd January, 2019
Got this with a travel sample set as a present from the wife. Got around to trying this on and am glad I donít have a full bottle to get rid of.

Too many floral notes in the top and middle make this far too feminine for me. It comes across like having washed thoroughly in an old fashioned soap conjuring more of a hygiene, somewhat camp vibe rather than images of opulence.

The previous reviews describing smelling like an old lady are quite apt at best a unisex fragrance, but not one where I would attach the word Man to the name. However, perhaps this one is just too sophisticated for my palate.
01st January, 2019
.I'm gonna sample 2 versions at the same time here...one one hand I'm putting Gold from a sample bottle in the Men's assortment box from a # of years back, so I'm pretty sure it's what was in the old non-magnetic top bottles...on the other hand I'm putting the Khanjar version from the beautiful old crystal bottle...as the years go by I hope my nose gets more and more educated and I can discern more about a fragrance I'm smelling...I happened to run across an old note from the 1st time I smelled Gold, and I was just writing short impressions for myself....for Gold I had " smells like a cat pissed on a flower bouquet and someone tried hiding the smell by dusting it with baby powder "...anyway, here goes with the current sniff-off...sample bottle first - retro aldhyde blast of civet...over my two olfactory/collecting journeys I've grown very fond of animalic fragrances, and this is the bomb!!! This has to be the most animalic men's scent Amouage has,,,I can't really think of another one that even comes close...there's flowers and musk , but the civet rules...doesn't strike me as being as baby powder powdery as the 1st time I smeled it...now it seems more like the pleasant smelling talc that the barber dusts the back of your neck with...Ok...gonna put some of the Khanjar on the other hand...wow...like 2 totally different fragrances...it's like the treble got turned down and the base pumped up...ther's the aldehydic smell and effect, but not the shriek like in the sample...civet is awesome, but much more laid back, and I swear I smell citrus...I trhink I can say this safely without having to smell any further that Khanjar version is the hands down winner...as they dry down they somewhat merge and start smelling a little more like each other, but you would have no problem identifying which is wich...with the sample it just was an overall flower accor to me...in the Khanjar , I can smell a delicate rose...an absolutely grand/opulent/rich/classy fragrance...
09th July, 2018
All I can say, is: I'm glad I didn't explore the Amouage line in chronological order.

I read up on this one and somewhere there was the wisdom "definitely try before you buy" and so I got a sample from Luckyscent. I got through the initial blast of granny's partially-soiled bloomers, tiptoeing around the house trying to avoid my wife. She can be quite critical. The next phase hit around 45 minutes in and it was this Avon rose soap kind of thing, but if you sniff your wrist I'll be damned if it doesn't smell like burning polystyrene. Anybody who, as a boy, lit a plastic model tank on fire knows what I am talking about.

Neutral rating because I didn't hate it. It ain't my cup of tea, mainly because I don't like my tea with cat pee in it.
21st May, 2018
A terribly fussy floral fragrance. Granny's bathroom is about right. I'm actually surprised at the number of neutral votes; I'd expect this to be almost entirely polarising. Another surprise is how far it is from the others in the Amouage lineup I've tried, like Memoir, Figment, Epic Man, Jubilation XXV. For me this one is a hard "no, not at all, thanks".
24th December, 2017
Stardate 20171120:

A floral of bygone era. Lots of white flower and indoles. Aldehydes are the right amount here (not crazy like No 5).
A great solid juice.
Not going to be popular with men for sure.
Reminds me a lot of Joy

Men's Perfume Amouage Gold Man Amouage EDP

End Date: Wednesday Mar-27-2019 11:55:33 PDT
Buy It Now for only: $303.10
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Amouage men all samples 2ml(0.07fl.oz), buy 5 get 1 for free, all samples new!

End Date: Wednesday Mar-27-2019 14:29:43 PDT