Carlo Corinto Classic (1986)
    by Carlo Corinto

Carlo Corinto Classic Fragrance Notes

Reviews of Carlo Corinto Classic

Showing 1 to 6 of 13 reviews.

Swanky's avatar
    Swanky

I sprayed some of this (the original vintage formula) on a scent strip and got in my car. A lovely floral-spicy-patchouli scent kept beckoning from my console. Several hours later it still smelled great. I returned to the store for the bottle, the last one they had.

Sadly, I can't retain my original joy. On my skin it is way, way too demure. After about an hour I literally cannot smell it. For about 6 hours it's hiding until like a new puppy it sticks its head out a little to see what's going on.

I wish what I smelled on that strip was now on my skin because it was fantastically rich and inviting. What I get now, after the initial stage, is like a eunuchized L'Eau du Navigateur. L'EdN is a favorite of mine and I thought I had found a low-cost alternative. Instead, I have a zero-projection hologram.

28 April, 2012

Darvant's avatar
    Darvant

Mysticman as well as shamu1 write fairly that this great 80's piney hit is not a rough and spicy traditional kind of aromatic fougere but a green-resinous  leathery chypre more similar to Basile Uomo (but less floral) or to the great Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui than to Trussardi Uomo or Azzaro Ph. In my opinion this minty-leathery smell sets in the middle between Paco Rabanne XS and the Classic Faconnable Pour Homme. The strength of the spices, lavender and citrus is not impressive, apart from the first twenty minutes when these notes take the scene to the real  protagonist of the juice, namely the resin of pine, while i smell a fluidy leathery-mossy fragrance with the distinctiveness of patchouli and some smoothness of an averagely creamy amber. The floral notes are astringent and not particularly sweet (geranium and carnation). I love each green and resinous fluid of leather, resins and herbs and this example is a very pleasant one. Unfortunately this kind of scents is no more fashionable nowadays and that is a pity.

07 October, 2011 (Last Edited: 15 June, 2012)

shamu1's avatar
    shamu1

This is a fantastic woody, resinous oriental fragrance where pine is the main attraction. The pine is overshadowed in the opening by sharp lavender and citrus notes, but within 15 minutes or so, the pine notes come to the forefront, and thankfully they remain prominent for hours into the drydown. The pine becomes a bit sweet and spicy as Carlo Corinto evolves, and this is probably due to its blending in with the patchouli (which is also very prominent) and amber in the base.

I own the current formulation of this, and I have to wonder if this version has more prominent pine notes than the vintage version does. Pine is very prominent in this wonderful fragrance, and I am very surprised the other reviews don't make more mention of it. Carlo Corinto is a very resinous scent, and as such the pine notes more resemble sap or pine needles, rather than a Pino Silvestre type smell of warm air blowing through a pine forest. The nice strong patchouli in this adds a welcome earthiness to the scent, and really complements the pine, rather than bludgeoning it.

Despite what other reviewers say, I do not find Carlo Corinto to be particularly strong or a "Power Fragrance" at all. I get moderate sillage and good longevity from this, which is fine with me. I don't smell any leather at all in Carlo Corinto, but the scent doesn't suffer because of it. Carlo Corinto is simply a delight to wear, always managing to lift my spirits when I wear it.

07 April, 2010

Mysticman's avatar
    Mysticman

I must say I'm baffled at the other reviews of this scent. To me it comes across as a very elegant blend of primarily natural ingredients. The citrus and lavender opening quickly gives way to a mellow green and woody accord, with cedarwood more prominent on my skin than the pine or carnation, and the transition to the amber and leather base notes is smoothly done. I don't get the comparisons to Quorum, Jacomo or Azzaro at all --- Corinto has none of the tangy spice notes of the first two, nor the opening dry citrus-green blast of Azzaro. I'd place it in the same family as Basile Uomo or Oscar de la Renta's Pour Lui --- a refined leathery chypre with prominent green notes. It is of a good strength (which to me means simply that one needs to use less), but not overpowering, and it does linger pleasantly.

The image I get is fresh, green, and outdoorsy, but not a pine forest nor a tropical jungle. I'd call it more of a well-tended garden with strategically placed shade trees and shrubs among the fragrant herbs --- a place for a quiet and reflective stroll.

22 March, 2010

jabadiba's avatar
    jabadiba

this fragance created in mexico city by Jean Pierre Duran and Lilia Ritally was a riot and a hit, I wont deny it was the 80's hit in the discos, but it is not a scent for me. the firm has been developing new fragances which will be a hit.

31st December, 2008

Bigsly's avatar
    Bigsly

I've done a "180" on this one and find it quite unpleasant. I think I just don't like the leather, amber, cardamom, and patchouli combination. If you have no idea what this combination is like, then I strongly suggest sampling first. By comparison, Devin by Aramis is an ambery leather as well, but it's smoother and considerably more pleasant. Both are a bit simplistic, compared to something like The Knize Ten, which is the one to try before derivative ones like CC, in my opinion. If you love leather smells in all forms and you have hardly any money, this might be the one for you, however.

My old review:

or me, there is an anisic quality about this one, and the leather comes through loud and clear. But it's also nicely blended, and certainly wearable if you don't apply too much. One spray is enough for me. I couldn't imagine spraying this one three or four times per application. Why complain that this juice is too strong, when it means you can just spray once and save money? There's absolutely nothing "wrong" with this fragrance, though it may not be to your sense of taste, of course. I like it as a "change of pace." It was very inexpensive, and definitely more wearable than Jacomo de Jacomo, Quorom, and some of the other "old school" ones I've tried.

14 November, 2008 (Last Edited: 26 July, 2010)

Add your review of Carlo Corinto Classic