1776 Russian Leather
by Elsha

1776 Russian Leather information

HouseElsha

About 1776 Russian Leather

1776 Russian Leather is a masculine fragrance by Elsha.

Reviews of 1776 Russian Leather

When I first found Elsha 1776, I was impressed. I found it to have echoes of CHANEL's Cuir de Russie. I've got an older bottle, but I'm not sure what year... because the Elsha people are notoriously inept at their bottling practices (no batch code). It's a light leather, if there's anything to be said about leather here. It does have a "barbershop" vibe as well. I like it and I'm glad to have a bottle, but I would not say it's "repeat buy worthy." Longevity is lacking, but because it's so cheap you can liberally apply and layer.

From what I've read, Elsha 1776 had better days. There may have been a reformulation or different sourcing of ingredients. It's a shame, as I can see how this fragrance could've been terrific if they only tweaked the formulation a bit.
06th September, 2017
This is probably a thumbs down for me, but I need to give it a few more wears before I determine that. My father wore Elsha many years ago, and this is not my father's Elsha. At least it sure seems different to me. Does anyone know if this is a reformulation? I seem to remember this actually smelling something like leather, but as mentioned, there is no leather to be found here. I'm smelling spice and as vipersinthefield said, an almost "root beer" note. The other note I'm smelling is something I picked up in Serge Lutens L'Incendiaire. It's a smell that reminds me of pancake make-up. Not my favorite smell. It's off putting. I'll try it a couple more times to see if I can find any ambiance with this fragrance or not...so far, it's a "not".
28th June, 2017
Regardless if this cologne touts itself as the former creation known as Russian Leather?...there's no leather in Elsha's 1776 cologne.On the bright side this scent projects very well...and it does last.It's so potent that I scrubbed my hands twice and still couldn't get the scent off.

Scent wise I just didn't like it...and I generally like the classic scents.I get a semi sassafras or birch/root beer kind of sweetness from this.More of a sawdust character than a hunk of wood in this stuff. but I also get a stale kind of rubber band note from the 'wood' that surfaces through.Hours later it becomes really powdery and cloyingly root beer sweet.It does smell old-school and not to the likes of some fizzy aquatic or grapefruit ridden gym scent...it is masculine.I had no hesitation in pouring Elsha's 1776 down the toilet.
12th January, 2017
A truly wonderful scent, very embracing when first splashing it on. This is one of my standby fragrances. It is a very comfortable & friendly leather Cologne that opens with a cinnamon and birch top that stays along even after the dry down. The fragrance has pleasant, warm and ambery, the birch remains & mixes with leathery earthy musk. Always light for a leather & smooth, I recommend it to anyone looking for something different. Very reasonably priced & a long standing tradition make this a perfect scent. Would the younger crowd be engaged with it, probably not as it is a bit dated, but anyone over 35+ don't over-look this one...
02nd May, 2015
I have Pinaud Bay Rum and Ogallala Bay Rum. Also, Knize ten, some other leather types. I get no leather from this one. It's all Bay Rum. I like bay rum, but I'm not keen on false advertising. It's a subdued Bay Rum. Very close to the skin, not overpowering and lasts a long time. It's good quality, just can't see why its considered a leather.
03rd July, 2014
Not Russian Leather, really

This is not Russian Leather, no way, no siree Bob.

It is a barbershop scent, oozing masculinity and testosterone galore, but there are better barbershop scents than this.

I get mainly spices (cloves and cinnamon) and woods (but not birch), and if there is any leather, is way, way in the back, and I really had to try harder, and even then, I am not sure that is leather what I get.

I am planning to layer this scent with Pinaud Special Reserve, which is leather, only leather and nothing else but leather. So maybe out of two regular scents I get a great one.

Barely 3 stars because after all, is not a bad scent for the price.

Pros: Price, masculine
Cons: Weak

27th May, 2013

Add your review of 1776 Russian Leather

Shop for 1776 Russian Leather products online

Search Amazon for 1776 Russian Leather

Member images of 1776 Russian Leather

There are no member images of 1776 Russian Leather yet. Why not be the first?