Persian Leather

Persian Leather information

HouseCaswell-Massey
Parent CompanyThe Equitium Group

About Persian Leather

Persian Leather is a masculine fragrance by Caswell-Massey.

Reviews of Persian Leather

While there are many scents out there with the moniker "Russian" before its "Leather," and even one with "Spanish," to my knowledge this is the only one labeled "Persian," perhaps to entice the buyer with the promise of exotic and forbidden olfactory indulgences.

Created in the 1920s, the only celebrity I know of who liked it was Cole Porter. However, as another Basenotes reviewer notes here, the original formula was far richer than the later reformulation.

Tonka, sandalwood and vanilla formed the base, but there was a sharp, sometimes acrid vibe that floated on top, a mix of patchouli and birch tar perhaps. There were restrained floral notes in the heart as well. I never liked it, but my partner did and I often bought the soaps, talc and cologne for him.

A decent "leather," but not outstanding in any way.
25th February, 2017
Oviatt Show all reviews
Back in its glory days, there used to be a mural behind the bar at the famous Polo Lounge at the Beverly Hills Hotel--a highly stylized equestrian scene, nodding to the the game's middle eastern origins. This has always been associated in my mind with Persian Leather, a rich leather scent with more than a hint of patchouli and animalic sweat, from Caswell-Massey, sadly long gone now. I used to smell this from a custom sampler tray that they had at the best men's haberdashery in my hometown. I always thought--wow, this is a great, rich scent, redolent of the powerful, wealthy men hanging out at the Polo Lounge. Maybe someday I will grow into this. While not necessarily powerful or wealthy, I have definitely grown into this and it is sadly gone. I have plenty of other great leather fragrances like Knize Ten but wish I could revisit the old Persian Leather--preferably while knocking back a drink at the Polo Lounge!
31st May, 2015
There were two very different formulas for Persian Leather. The first dates back to the 1920's. The old Caswell Massey catalogs used to mention it was a favorite of Cole Porter.
To me, Persian Leather had citrus top notes, tarragon or anise for the middle and oak moss, light patchouli, vertiver and birch tar to make a more Russian Leather type scent. It was a warm, long lasting scent that reeked of happiness and the promise of sex.
In the early 90's, Caswell Massey discontinued the scent. To me, this marked the beginning of C.M.'s continuing downward spiral. Ten or more years later, they reintroduced a pretender. Some of the basics were there, but they added nag champa and something that clawed the back of the throat like grandma's Emeraude. The oakmoss and tarragon were non-existent. It dried down to something more reminiscent of talc and nag champa.
Thankfully, they discontinued this new version around 2005.
If you can get an old(pre-1990) bottle, it's a fine scent.
I'll give a thumbs up only in memory of the old version.
10th January, 2011 (last edited: 26th January, 2011)
bbBD Show all reviews
Not leather.... unless Persian Leather is a variety that doesn't smell like any other leather on earth. I found this to be watery and a light smoky fragrance at best. It's somewhat bitter and totally linear. This isn't in the same league as Knize Ten - or any other well established leather - not even close. If you're a leather fan don't even bother because it's not worth it, which is unfortunate because usually C-M puts out good stuff.
22nd January, 2009
Linear leather with a touch of bittersweet citrus to it. I find this leather scent bearable. This smells like a good leather to me.
18th January, 2009
Aiona Show all reviews
I agree with tvlampboy, that there's a bit of Mitsouko-likeness in here. Maybe because in the opening, I smell peanuts, just as I do with Guerlain's Mitsouko and L'Heure Bleue. Then it calms down into an aromatic with leather, reminiscent of Caron's Yatagan, to me. So, in summary, peanuts + aromatic + leather. Nice!
18th October, 2008