Ambra / Amber (1828)

• Bottle Designer: Unknown - Let us know

Average Rating: 3

Based on 13 ratings

Ambra / Amber information

Ambra / Amber is a unisex fragrance by Santa Maria Novella. The scent was launched in 1828

Reviews of Ambra / Amber

Showing 1 to of 6 reviews.

danielremy's avatar

France France

I think Ambra is misunderstood by the reviewers. Forget about Shalimar or Ambre114, Ambra is amber in the 19th century way, which is also the original way as we can see it with Eau des Merveilles: something salty. In Ambra this marine base is mixed with birch tar in an amazing way not very gothic but not modern either. Really worth a try for those who look for something original.

31st January, 2012

Don’t expect much from SMN’s Amber (Ambra) if you don’t care for birch tar. This one is typically SMN in the opening – harsh but bearable and charmingly rustic... and then it goes to what to me is a very disagreeable birch note, and that note pretty much continues through the run of the fragrance. The amber, shows up later, but is weak, arid, and not especially an adequate representative of the concept of “amber.” Luckily the fragrance doesn’t last. I love the Santa Maria Novella fragrances… they have a rustic charm and admirable dedication to Italian tradition. Unfortunately, in addition to its charm and dedication, this one also has birch tar. SMN has many, many fragrances better than this one…

24 January, 2011

Don’t expect much from SMN’s Ambra (Amber) if you don’t care for birch tar. This one is typically SMN in the opening – harsh but bearable and charmingly rustic... and then it goes to what to me is a very disagreeable birch note, and that note pretty much continues through the run of the fragrance. The amber, shows up later, but is weak, arid, and not especially an adequate representative of the concept of “amber.” Luckily the fragrance doesn’t last. I love the Santa Maria Novella fragrances… they have a rustic charm and admirable dedication to Italian tradition. Unfortunately, in addition to its charm and dedication, this one also has birch tar. SMN has many, many fragrances better than this one…

20th January, 2011 (Last Edited: 24 January, 2011)

bbBD's avatar

I've tried quite a few SMNs by now, and this is the only clunker I've yet to come across from this house. Instead of a robust amber, this fragrance is transparent and feels very synthetic. Nearly any other niche amber would be better, which is surprising because SMN's own Amber/Lavender is quite good, and very rich.

If you want something sweet from SMN, go with the Vaniglia.

12 January, 2009

robyogi's avatar

For some reason, Basenotes has both "Amber" and "Ambra" listed in the Directory as SMN fragrances. I think they are the same, with "Ambra" being the Italian word for "Amber."

Anyway, I think this fragrant is a bit misleadingly named. It's really got more birch tar than amber. It opens loud and harsh, as many SMN frags are wont to do; think herbal and bitter, and a little off-kilter, possibly "gothic" (though to be honest, I'm not sure what that means when it comes to fragrance). As it dries down, the amber comes into play, but it is light at that point, more a powdery, semi-sweet skin scent than the voluptuous amber I am used to smelling in other fragrances. My main complaint is that on me it doesn't last.

04 March, 2007

Santa Maria S M Novella AMBRA AMBER Perfume 3 ML COLOGNE UNISEX BIRCH LEATHER
    • Listing Type: eBay Store
    • Time Left: 9 days
    Ebay United States
    (Shipping from United States)
    Santa Maria Novella Estratto Triplo Extract Ambra Amber 8ml RARE Discontinued
    • Listing Type: eBay Store
    • Time Left: 5 days
    Ebay United States
    (Shipping from United States)