Average Rating: 4

Based on 936 ratings

Musc Ravageur Fragrance Notes

Musc Ravageur information

Musc Ravageur is a unisex fragrance by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle. The scent was launched in 2000 and the bottle was designed by Frederic Malle

Reviews of Musc Ravageur

Showing 1 to 6 of 168 reviews.

jumpfrog's avatar

What's all the hype about? After an hour, all I get is vanilla with a bit of chocolate. That's it. Very disappointed.

17th August, 2014

tempest moon's avatar

I certainly like this one... very much. I've heard of it as a love/hate type of fragrance but I think that this one is pretty tame and sensual to me. Apparently this was inspired by Shalimar, and I completely see that.

What Musc Ravageur reminds me of, is the old style of perfume classics like Shalimar and Jicky, wonderful rich orientals with civet, labdanum, amber etc. I get cloves, cinnamon and lavender in the opening, with a hint of caramelised mandarin. Fantastic stuff... but the dry down is where this starts to feel really really good. Soft and sensual musk and amber all the way, with sandalwood, tonka bean and guaiac wood. This is absolutely a soft yet spicy oriental, which I love.

It is however all about the musk, and if you've ever smelt pure musk oil, the high quality stuff, you'll find it here. However I would say the fragrance is mostly dominated by the spices over the musk, but it is there nonetheless.

Overall, is it worth it? I think you could get some of the same feeling from vintage Shalimar extrait, or with high quality musk oil. Probably by mixing the two. But really, I have to admit... Maurice Roucel is a genius, because this is one I have really fallen in love with. Yes, I think you should test it out if you can. If you love it then it will be worth the price, because we don't find vintage Jicky or Shalimar everyday now, do we? Still, very well done by Roucel. Sensual stuff!

14th August, 2014

sjg3839's avatar

Initial spray is to medicinal (clove). The base and the drydown is very good. But for the price, you may come out better purchasing Meharres. That way you get MR ' S base and drydown from beginning to end. 8/10

13th June, 2014

blackheart2925's avatar

India India

fantastic vanilla and cinnamon with some lavender and a hint of clove! and a tiny, tiny whiff of animalic note which soon vanishes!

dont know where people are getting the urnial notes or the civet or stink, on my skin this is a lovely vanilla and cinnamon with lavender...maybe i should try overspraying a few times on the same spot on see

maybe those who this smells animalic, maybe should try smelling some really skanky hindi out? :)

still on the fence on whether i want a FB of this or not :(

wondering if shalimar smells similar to this

EDIT: Ok i do get the civet/urinous note but very tame one. and the drydown is killer! Vanilla but not the cupcake type and something really awesome that i have never smelled before! On the old tshirt or pillows or bedsheets, after 24 hrs the scent that is left behind is pure heaven!

Going to be my next FB buy...cant wait to get a 100ml of this in my hands.

04th June, 2014 (Last Edited: 01st July, 2014)

Kain's avatar

Iran Iran

This is a really nice fragrance!
    The opening may shock you and you hate it at the first sniff.
    It's very strong dirty and almost medicinal smell with sharp spicy note and noticeable sweetness in the background.
    There are some green notes too, but very light in the background.
    In the mid, that dirty smell started to decay and sweet smell become much stronger.
    The sweet notes are vanilla mixed with strong cinnamon and while there are no coco and coffee notes in the note break down, I believe it does have coco and coffee notes as well. It's very warm, sweet, sensual and delicious.
    In the base, the smell didn't change that much. you have this strong sweet, spicy, coffee and chocolaty smell till the end.
    Projection and longevity? are you kidding me? it's insane! very strong and long lasting fragrance.

01st June, 2014

G.M.K.'s avatar

Pakistan Pakistan

How curious I was to test this and how disappointed I am after sampling it , I cant say I hate it but One thing I can surely say that I cant stand it even for a few minutes , furthermore, proper blending of CIVET is not every perfumer's thing, I love Civet in Kouros which is blended in honey by One of the greatest perfumer ever.

Musc Ravageur starts from the heavy dose of synthetic notes of Amber and Cloves (eugenol) with a hint of Lavender which makes it sticky sweet and cloying, suddenly Animalic notes of Civet kicks in this is the stage where the problem starts, IMHO it has not been handled properly and it transforms into a play-doh like smell and a very out dated stuff which has a huge silage.

Both thumbs down for this.

20th May, 2014

Add your review of Musc Ravageur

Search for on eBay United States

New Frederic Malle Editions de Parfums MUSC RAVAGEUR 5ml
    • Listing Type: Buy it Now
    • Time Left: 24 days
    Ebay United States
    (Shipping from United States)