Musc Ravageur (2000)

PerfumerMaurice Roucel
PackagingFrederic Malle
Parent CompanyEstee Lauder Companies

About Musc Ravageur

Musc Ravageur is a shared / unisex perfume by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle. The scent was launched in 2000 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Maurice Roucel. The bottle was designed by Frederic Malle

Musc Ravageur fragrance notes

Reviews of Musc Ravageur

It's impressive what perfumers can do. They don't always bottle what they say they are or they can create an effect, an accord.

One such example is Musc Ravageur. You'd be forgiven for thinking this has musk in it, or even any of the dodgy associations some have suggested the opening of this scent contains.

Ultimately, the effect the lavender/bergamot combo creates in the opening, combined with the spices of cinnamon and clove (in true Malle style) from the heart, it's very easy to mistake Musc Ravageur for a musk or animalic powerhouse. Yet it is what it is. And to the untrained nose it's easy to be fooled into thinking there is nothing there.

This is a true gourmand. Slightly powdery, ambery (vanilla & tonka bean dry down), spicy and long-lasting projection monster. Fans of Egoiste should take note as this has a structure that's surprisingly similar. It isn't a replica by any means, but the similarities are hard to ignore.

It definitely projects but doesn't get cloying if you know how much to use. Less is clearly more with Musc Ravageur. Don't be tempted to over spray unless you want to head for the shower later on.

All in all the fougere comparison is also justified as it ticks all the boxes, but the added spice and 'harsher' smelling opening make it far from a traditional aromatic fougere.

Expect this to last for weeks on clothes and fabrics from any version. So be sure not to wear the same clothes with another scent the next day as you'll still smell of Musc Ravageur!
18th October, 2017
Because I am not a fan of gourmands or of sickly sweet fragrances, I cannot like Musc Ravageur, and believe me, I have tried. The top notes always fool me into thinking I can wear and enjoy this scent, but nope, the dry down gets more and more cloying and claustrophobia-inducing, and soon the cinnamon and syrup and stickiness becomes too, too much, and off I go to the washroom. I love the lavender and I love the actual musk, it's the cloves and vanilla that kill me in this one. I have occasionally smelled this on a person standing a ways away from me and then I can enjoy this cinnamon bun of a fragrance, but if it is anywhere closer, I cringe.
01st October, 2017
In its current state, Musc Ravageur smells to me mostly like a classic fougere, lavender over powdery tonka, with some poopy, plasticky musk underneath and a touch of cinnamon and sawdusty sandalwood in the background and a shot of vanilla for sweetness. It's perfectly nice, like Caron's Pour Un Homme with some gourmand elements thrown in.

It should be said that, when I compare my new sample with one from about 10 years ago, there's a rather striking difference. While the current version is fine, the old formula has everything the new has, but is also resplendent with warm honey, funky rum, burnished woods, and pie spices, and has the animalics turned up to match their richer surroundings. I think the old version is required sniffing if you can find an old sample, the kind in the red card.
24th August, 2017
rbaker Show all reviews
The musc I get from beginning to. Initially freshened up by a traditional-style bergamot, but soon the sweeter stages commence, with a pleasant cinnamon that has a slightly spicy undertone.

The base denotes the complete surrender to the sweeter desires, when rhe musk is enveloped in a shell of sweet tonka richness, with, at times somewhat generic, woodsy undertones - mainly cedar on me - in the background.

The sillage is strong, the projection superb and the longevity a sensational fifteen hours on my skin.

Whilst no longer the wild beauty of yesteryear's original version, this remains to be a deliciously scrumptious wintery gourmand musc creation. There is no pretense of delicacy here. With thick and heavy brushstrokes a voluptuous and velvety fragrance is born, an unpretentious and direct, and at times full-on, vivid olfactory desert is served. This product displays sensationally stellar performance. 3.25/5.
10th December, 2016
I would say only one thing if you are among the lucky persons owning a vintage bottle: forget the new reformulation.
And if your old bottle contains some drops, or more, of the vibrant almost living dense masterpiece it was, please keep it in a safe: Musc Ravageur has changed and there is no hope of smelling its primitive form anymore. My neutral review is due to this. So, in detail:

Thumbs Up (and more!) for the vintage
Thumbs Down for the new
29th November, 2016
I have a good-sized sample of this that should last me a lifetime, synthetic-smelling musk and vanilla, similar to Coromandel, although not as good. It lasts a long time, and the longer it lasts, the better it smells; somewhat of a Frederic Malle house trait.
18th November, 2016 (last edited: 20th November, 2016)

Add your review of Musc Ravageur