Lys Méditerranée (2000)

PerfumerEdouard Flechier
PackagingFrederic Malle
Parent CompanyEstee Lauder Companies

About Lys Méditerranée

Lys Méditerranée is a shared / unisex perfume by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle. The scent was launched in 2000 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Edouard Flechier. The bottle was designed by Frederic Malle

Lys Méditerranée fragrance notes

Reviews of Lys Méditerranée

I like the scent of lilies in perfume, if done well, but not so much lily of the valley which I find a bit harsh and soapy.

When I first tried Lys Mediterranee I feared it was a bit clean and LotV rather than lily. But on further wear I grew to love it. I wore it generously when out for a dressy evening party in winter, which is not when you'd imagine this perfume should be worn since it suggests summer. But actually it was just right for a dressy event.

It has an Audrey Hepburn-like elegance and charm - graceful, not very fleshy but pretty. Also, just like Hepburn, it has a grounded personality underlying the creamy clean lily. I tend to think its the note of ambergris which gives this a skin-scent saltiness and something that vaguely reminds me of labdanum, slightly sweaty though not indolic (makes me think of the scent of horse-hair). The animalic part is very subtle though. (Having said that, when I last wore this a handsome Japanese cellist kept sniffing my neck!)

I'm trying, and failing, to imagine this on the average man. For men who don't require a perfume to smell 'manly' (whatever that may be) it's lovely, it's not sweet and I think would suit a man wearing a light summer suit or shirt

If anything I'm reminded of a 1960s Dolce Vita aura - white/cream couture elegance - as opposed to a garden or the outdoors, but our impressions and associations are bound to differ.
12th February, 2015
Sadly I do not know flowers as much as I would like to, therefore I can really not “judge” the quality of the notes here – lily and muguet, or more in general this perfume as a whole from the point of view of its objective quality. What I can say though is that it opens with a breathtakingly vibrant and realistic feel which threw me right into a greenhouse: the smell not only of petals and leaves but also soil, stagnant water, dust, freshly-cut branches, humidity, and an almost perceivable and really fascinating rendition of that peculiar feel of “humid warmth” there’s often in greenhouses and florist shops – almost stale, opalescent, suspended. All of this with a fresher, brighter, zesty citrus-floral breeze coming from outside, to bring in also a more radiant “outdoor” feel (I guess the “Mediterranée” part of the concept). This perfume seems so simple, yet so deep and complex, carrying a powerful and romantic feel of nostalgia, slightly gloomy too, at the same time lively and relaxed – almost sleepy. It smells apparently clean and elegantly understated, but if you “listen” to it carefully, it has a lot of images and stories to narrate, with some unpredictable darker shades (the dust, the soil, the archaic rawness, the dreamy feel of warmth). As I was saying, I don’t know if the materials are objectively good here (they definitely seem to me though), but all of this I noted above is more than enough for me to consider Lys Mediterranée a fantastic, deep, sincere scent, absolutely worthy a sniff for any fan of flowers (and of perfumes in general, actually).

8-8,5/10
11th February, 2015
The top notes are nicely floral (without overdoing it) and it's unmistakenly Lily. It stays this way for a while and the Neroli appears but doesn't overpower the lily (finally!). Very balanced. The musk keeps this from being only feminine but I expect women would be more interested in it. Guys who love florals will love this due to the green quality of the florals. This is the best lily fragrance I've smelled.
23rd November, 2014
Genre: Floral

I worried that Lys Méditerranée might be too sweet and heady for me, but I needn’t have. It actually opens with a volley of astringent green notes that put lily in a whole new perspective. The lily has real presence, but the green notes keep the scent from ever getting cloying. A gentle squeeze of citrus keeps things crisp for a truly “Mediterranean” olfactory picture. Simple, well executed, and very easy to wear.
19th June, 2014
There is a predominant green note that smells more chemical than natural. The lily scent is not strong and also has an artificial quality to it.

It lacks depth and complexity - for the best lily scent on the market, try Penhaligon's Lily and Spice, deep, true and rounded by the subtle spices.

This is another of the modern acquatic scents, thin and wispy. If you like this sort of scent, this may please. For me, it's okay, but nothing special.
04th February, 2014
If someone asked me if this fragrance smells like lily, I would say no. To me it smells lily-of-the valley which is a quite different scent. There seems to be jasmine in it, and musk that comes to prominence during dry down. It is a nice floral, and I quite like it. But since the name indicates 'lily', I wouldn't give it a thumbs up.

It is pleasant, long lasting and feminine. I like unisex florals, but this one would be too much on the feminine side for me.

The real lily has a deep spicy scent which is lacking in this fragrance. For a natural lily scent, I would rather go for Tom Ford's Lys Fume.

Edit (Feb14): I like it better now. After having tried many more fragrances, perhaps my nose has 'developed'. I feel this one is unisex and men can pull it off as well, especially on a hot tropical evening. There are elements of lily-of-the-valley and jasmine, but at times quite a good lily smell can be detected as well. So I've changed to thumbs-up.
29th January, 2013 (last edited: 18th February, 2014)

Add your review of Lys Méditerranée

Shop for Lys Méditerranée products online

Search Amazon for Lys Méditerranée

Member images of Lys Méditerranée

There are no member images of Lys Méditerranée yet. Why not be the first?