Lys Méditerranée (2000)

Average Rating: 3.5

Based on 151 ratings

Lys Méditerranée Fragrance Notes

Lys Méditerranée information

Lys Méditerranée is a unisex fragrance by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle. The scent was launched in 2000 and the bottle was designed by Frederic Malle

Reviews of Lys Méditerranée

Showing 1 to 6 of 27 reviews.

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Floral

I worried that Lys Méditerranée might be too sweet and heady for me, but I needn’t have. It actually opens with a volley of astringent green notes that put lily in a whole new perspective. The lily has real presence, but the green notes keep the scent from ever getting cloying. A gentle squeeze of citrus keeps things crisp for a truly “Mediterranean” olfactory picture. Simple, well executed, and very easy to wear.

19 June, 2014

JackTwist's avatar

There is a predominant green note that smells more chemical than natural. The lily scent is not strong and also has an artificial quality to it.

It lacks depth and complexity - for the best lily scent on the market, try Penhaligon's Lily and Spice, deep, true and rounded by the subtle spices.

This is another of the modern acquatic scents, thin and wispy. If you like this sort of scent, this may please. For me, it's okay, but nothing special.

04 February, 2014

farang's avatar

Thailand Thailand

If someone asked me if this fragrance smells like lily, I would say no. To me it smells lily-of-the valley which is a quite different scent. There seems to be jasmine in it, and musk that comes to prominence during dry down. It is a nice floral, and I quite like it. But since the name indicates 'lily', I wouldn't give it a thumbs up.

It is pleasant, long lasting and feminine. I like unisex florals, but this one would be too much on the feminine side for me.

The real lily has a deep spicy scent which is lacking in this fragrance. For a natural lily scent, I would rather go for Tom Ford's Lys Fume.

Edit (Feb14): I like it better now. After having tried many more fragrances, perhaps my nose has 'developed'. I feel this one is unisex and men can pull it off as well, especially on a hot tropical evening. There are elements of lily-of-the-valley and jasmine, but at times quite a good lily smell can be detected as well. So I've changed to thumbs-up.

29 January, 2013 (Last Edited: 18 February, 2014)

iivanita's avatar

Croatia Croatia

how to make a parfume for the summer?
    either you take some citruses, or some geranium (chic PdN), or take this parfume :)

perfectly salted lily,
    lily is white but this parfume has green smell for me, received my sample from 2009! it smells very natural, ingredients smell like alive!!3dimensional!(this is true for all FM i have tested)

perfect summer scent with a bit herbal tone from angelica, without any citruses! like fresh salted sea air, with strong projection!!

09 October, 2012

drseid's avatar

Lys Mediterranee opens with a brief oceanic mist before a very subtle angelica makes an appearance. The angelica hangs around in the background, just barely perceptible when a gorgeous lily of the valley note emerges and remains through the heart, soon coupling with a co-starring water lily to give a nice presentation of lilies right after a spring rain. Joining the angelica in its supporting role is a very faint orange blossom. The base is a light clean musk that melds with the lily but never calls attention to itself staying true to the linear and subtle nature of the scent. Projection is above average and longevity is excellent.

Lys Mediterranee is a beautiful composition that lily of the valley and lily fans in general should really appreciate. The angelica is so subtle that at first I did not detect it, instead focusing on the lily of the valley, but on my second wearing I not only noticed it, but can now really appreciate the skill in how Flechier uses it to support the muguet. On the whole Lys Mediterranee does not change much once you get past the brief oceanic stage at the top, but it is probably the best lily focused composition I have smelled to date. From a guy's perspective I probably would prefer smelling this on a lady than wearing it myself, but wearable and wonderful it certainly is. Lys Mediterranee is another strong release from the house of Frederic Malle and earns an excellent 4 stars out of 5.

20th August, 2012

teardrop's avatar

England England

l get fresh, green, salty lily in the opening, & my initial impression is of lilies growing by the ocean under a canopy of trees. Then for a few moments l get a strange, green salad-like note, like cucumber skin or green beans. ls this what angelica root smells like? After this, the whole thing sweetens, & l get an impression of lilac, rather than the listed muguet. lt dries down into a deliciously salty, creamy floral, fading out after around six hours.
    The marine vibe in this fragrance induced a feeling of wellbeing in me, rather like one feels after a languid swim in the ocean. And the lily note smells like a true, fresh flower, in the same way that Carnal Flower does on me. Very nice!

12 June, 2012