Angéliques Sous La Pluie (2000)
by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Angéliques Sous La Pluie information

Year of Launch2000

HouseEditions de Parfums Frederic Malle
PerfumerJean-Claude Ellena
PackagingFrederic Malle
Parent CompanyEstee Lauder Companies

About Angéliques Sous La Pluie

A fresh composition based on angelicas after the rain has fallen.

Angéliques Sous La Pluie fragrance notes

Reviews of Angéliques Sous La Pluie

Stunningly beautiful opening, gives me a smile every time. Associations: precipitation, humidity, green vegetation or freshness. Can give the impression of a winter morning where you open the window and feel the dry cold, but something much more sensual and warm is in the mix. That warm sensual thing could be cosmetic products, bodylotions and hairspray, as someone has taken a warm bath (juniper is fairly strong in the opening, common in many shower products) steaming through from behind you in the window you are standing. Or maybe there is something cooking in the kitchen for Christmas, perhaps some peculiar alcoholic brew that is heating up on the stove and some cake in the oven.

Or perhaps the warmth rather is the green vegetation and earth outside and it is not winter we are talking about but spring, yet the humidity in the air and the early hour makes it feel colder than the temperature and season would indicate, the plants that have become damp are now giving off their odor in unexpected strength as the rain has calmed down and sunshine is on its way.

ASLP right away does smell a bit dirty and significantly woody and musky. I do think this is one of the more inoffensive scents you could wear, but I mention this to highlight the fact that this isn't a sterile clean opening (geranium pour monsieur on the other hand does smell 100% clean throughout in my opinion).

After about 40 minutes and onwards it is much closer to the skin and the tone is much less vibrant, at this stage it does remind me somewhat of wormwood alcoholic beverages. I used to be into absinthe from Switzerland and France, as well there was a local variety here in Sweden I tried. Those drinks have some amazing aroma to them, and can differ quite a bit. This fragrance does have some of that vibe to it, although it does not remind me of any particular type of alcohol. The fresh and green does last throughout the fragrance.

I would highly recommend anyone use plenty of sprays for this one, 10 sprays or more (for others normally I use 1-3). Applying it to clothing and hair also does help with longevity and spreading the scent around. I base my review on having used up over 5ml in total. With a total of 10 sprays on hair clothes and arms from the official 3.5ml vial I get 2-3 hours where it has some noticeable presence around me, then another 3 hours where it surely still is there but much harder to detect (unless I smell my wrist).

Dsquared He Rocky Mountain Wood is somewhat similar to this, very natural outdoors-smell.
I would say Angeliques sous la pluie and Geranium pour monsieur are great alternatives as "fresh summer fragrances" etc. However I think both would work great for any season.

Someone brought up Gucci Pour Homme. I used to own the heavy square glass bottle with brown liquid (2003 edition, discontinued). The drydowns are indeed similar, but Gucci PH was just a monster in terms of woody smells, a very masculine fragrance that I did not think would suit a woman nor a 20 year old male (me at the time). ASLP is certainly unisex.
19th July, 2017 (last edited: 08th August, 2017)
Cool, chalky iris and chilled vetiver made icy with ambrette seed, under the watchful eye of Elena's signature mix of peppery chemical brightness and sweaty cumin. I have no idea what angelica flowers actually smell like, but this is clearly a dirty, peppery iris.

Sous La Pluie exists at a point midway between Chanel No. 18's icy outer-space ambrette and peppery ambrette iris/vetiver mixes like Bulgari's Eau Parfumée au Thé Blanc, or Elena's own Eau de Gentiane Blanche for Hermes, though I'd pick any of those three over it, largely because I just don't like cumin that much and simply find them more pleasant.
18th July, 2017
rbaker Show all reviews
The angelica is in the opening blast indeed; terse, quite bitter, fresh, with a green touch. It lasts longer than the juniper; the latter is pleasant but nothing special indeed; this is no Baie de Genièvre. Touches of gin are present and there are moments of a very restrained booziness.

The drydown introduces the coriander, that is done pleasantly and combines with the concurrently emerging gently spicy undertone. The crisp angelica from the top notes has receded at that state.

The base adds a generally woodsy aroma, with white musks adding another angle to the final hours.

The sillage is moderate, at least initially, and soft in the second half; the projection is adequate and the longevity is seven hours on my skin.

An agreeable spring daytime creation that lives by the lovely angelica-driven initial impression. The later phases are somewhat unexciting, and hence it scores only just in the positive range. 3/5.

17th July, 2017
"tall trees" - Paul Cezanne
Akira Kurosawa's Dreams - part 1
26th October, 2016
I find this to be a good, if rather restrained scent. I had to apply more than usual in order to get a distinct impression of it. Dry, flinty, peppery spice. Nutty coriander and also a hint of cumin. Woody, very low-key. Hint of a mineral note -- presumably the scent after a rain.
Doesn't make a big impression on me but there is nothing wrong with it.
27th July, 2015
Here's an example of how it was and how it is!

These two perfumes are profoundly similar, not so much the result as the approach. The time between one and the other is the real difference!

Angéliques Sous La Pluie (2000) and Voyage d'Hermes Parfum (2012).

The concept is very similar in some ways, a grassy smell while walking in the rain is certainly a memory for a traveler!

The difference, I said, is the time! A clear example of how ambroxan replaces a building of musk and cedar! The fragrance design then is the same: on the one hand juniper and coriander and juniper and cardamom to the other one!
It is the style of the Nose? I can definitely say it was not (in this case) the need of the market!
They're both easy jobs, a bit 'too entrusted to the power of juniper that however vanishes! They do not smell of any drink or of gin, but a lot of alcohol!
One thing that is new in Ellena’s style is a very dirty green note that in the history of his perfumes is unique!

This reviewer may have conflicts of interest

18th June, 2015

Add your review of Angéliques Sous La Pluie

Shop for Angéliques Sous La Pluie products online

Search Amazon for Angéliques Sous La Pluie

Member images of Angéliques Sous La Pluie

There are no member images of Angéliques Sous La Pluie yet. Why not be the first?

Angéliques Sous La Pluie News