Cologne Bigarade (2001)

PerfumerJean-Claude Ellena
PackagingFrederic Malle
Parent CompanyEstee Lauder Companies

About Cologne Bigarade

A bold variation of the traditional cologne. This composition contains a new type of bitter orange essence which gives this fragrance an extra-fresh unique quality.

Cologne Bigarade fragrance notes

Reviews of Cologne Bigarade

Genre: Citrus

A "dirty" citrus, not unlike Creed's Orange Spice in general concept, but with a much brighter, rounder orange opening and an altogether different drydown. I very much like the juxtaposition of deep bitter orange with cumin, just as I like the cumin-leather counterpoint in Eau d'Hermes. The cumin note introduces some animal warmth to the compositon. In fact, it manages to humanize what might otherwise have been an very "clinical" fragrance.

The orange actually holds up rather well on me - a good two or three hours. That's about as good as it gets for citrus notes (Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier's remarkable Bahiana and Fraicheur Muskissime excepted). Once the orange peels away (ouch!) I'm left with a gentle, woody skin scent. This is Cologne Bigarade's least distinctive aspect, but I forgive it since it is, in fact, a cologne, and hence not expected to go out with complexity. A strong entry in a genre I don't usually care for all that much.
11th June, 2014
I tend to sway with my opinion on this one, but contrary to it's marketed 'freshness' I always find it very dry and dusty. It's probably the spices going a bit bonkers on me; a bit like smelling 20 year old spices from a spice rack you find at a car boot sale.

I have to absolutely slather myself in it if I'm in a odd enough mood to wear it. Longevity is very poor, but it is a cologne. On the plus side, unlike a lot of colognes it doesn't have that 'dipped in vodka' undertone - it is all scent - and if you want a light but dry and spicy orange it may be good for you.
07th September, 2008
This is a beautiful sweet sensuous fragrance that makes me think of Joan Collins in her hay-day. It is floral and flirtatious and a bit provocative. This is a scent for men? I don't think so, unless the bloke does a great Joan Collins impression.
06th May, 2007
Well, this one is a definite hit. It is a very luminous and optimistic fragance without being sickening floral or sweet. It has a very nice opening and then it dries down gently and lasts quite some time on me, despite the warnings of previous contributers that it is short lived. It is a very elegant and one af a kind fragrance without being bizarre. It reminds me of nothing, which to me means that it's not one for the crowd but one for the lover of individuality:) I haven't fall in love like this since 'discovering' Un jardin sur le Nil, by the same Jean Claude Ellena who created Cologne Bigarade.
24th October, 2006
Bigrade Concentree:
This starts out sharp and bitter,almost a peppery citrus. 30 minutes later, it begins to mellow. The citrus sharpness begins to give way to more floral almost vanilla like sweetness. By the end of the day it is faint,clean, pleasant. I think one of the above reviews characterizes it as eccentric. This is accurate, and part of its appeal. If Bigrade Concentree were architecture, it would be Le Corbusier's Villa Savoy -bright, slightly eccentric, but elegant in its straightforward geometry.
02nd October, 2006
I'm commenting on Cologne Bigarade, not the concentrated version. It starts off incredibly well: a very nice, rich, non-bitter yet sparkling, almost steely, refreshing citrus scent. Then, like magic, it disappears. I mean completely, utterly gone in less than an hour. It's probably the shortest duration scent I've ever tried on. I have to give it a thumbs-down because I can't even comment on the "dry-down," since it wasn't really there long enough to dry down. I'd love to try the Concentree version, as it has the potential to be a go-to summer scent if it can last long enough.
18th March, 2006

Add your review of Cologne Bigarade

Shop for Cologne Bigarade products online

Search Amazon for Cologne Bigarade

Member images of Cologne Bigarade

There are no member images of Cologne Bigarade yet. Why not be the first?

Features relating to Cologne Bigarade