Cologne Bigarade (2001)

PerfumerJean-Claude Ellena
PackagingFrederic Malle
Parent CompanyEstee Lauder Companies

About Cologne Bigarade

A bold variation of the traditional cologne. This composition contains a new type of bitter orange essence which gives this fragrance an extra-fresh unique quality.

Cologne Bigarade fragrance notes

Reviews of Cologne Bigarade

rbaker Show all reviews
The bitter orange hits me right from the first moment on, and it is very well executed. Very tangy, bitter and quite fresh. It is orangey and hence a bit darker than those bigarade impression found in the ultra bright and zesty lemon-based bigarrades like Creed's brilliant benchmark Citrus Bigarrade. The latter somewhat toned down and layered with Roger & Gallet's Bois d'Orange would come closer to this Cologne Bigarade.

Additional freshness is provided by a very judiciously applied set of aldehydes that blend in smoothly with the citrus core.

After the first half hour the orange zest is gone, a woody background is revealed. Towards the end whiffs of the orange return transiently, paired with a minimally spicy undertone - the latter is very discrete and well-integrated into the whole blend, and much weaker than in, for instance, Creed's Orange Spice.

I get moderate sillage, adequate projection and a longevity of about four hours on my skin - not a great performance but very good for a summery fresh daytime citrus Cologne. 3.5/5.
15th June, 2017
Genre: Citrus

A "dirty" citrus, not unlike Creed's Orange Spice in general concept, but with a much brighter, rounder orange opening and an altogether different drydown. I very much like the juxtaposition of deep bitter orange with cumin, just as I like the cumin-leather counterpoint in Eau d'Hermes. The cumin note introduces some animal warmth to the compositon. In fact, it manages to humanize what might otherwise have been an very "clinical" fragrance.

The orange actually holds up rather well on me - a good two or three hours. That's about as good as it gets for citrus notes (Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier's remarkable Bahiana and Fraicheur Muskissime excepted). Once the orange peels away (ouch!) I'm left with a gentle, woody skin scent. This is Cologne Bigarade's least distinctive aspect, but I forgive it since it is, in fact, a cologne, and hence not expected to go out with complexity. A strong entry in a genre I don't usually care for all that much.
11th June, 2014
I tend to sway with my opinion on this one, but contrary to it's marketed 'freshness' I always find it very dry and dusty. It's probably the spices going a bit bonkers on me; a bit like smelling 20 year old spices from a spice rack you find at a car boot sale.

I have to absolutely slather myself in it if I'm in a odd enough mood to wear it. Longevity is very poor, but it is a cologne. On the plus side, unlike a lot of colognes it doesn't have that 'dipped in vodka' undertone - it is all scent - and if you want a light but dry and spicy orange it may be good for you.
07th September, 2008
This is a beautiful sweet sensuous fragrance that makes me think of Joan Collins in her hay-day. It is floral and flirtatious and a bit provocative. This is a scent for men? I don't think so, unless the bloke does a great Joan Collins impression.
06th May, 2007
Well, this one is a definite hit. It is a very luminous and optimistic fragance without being sickening floral or sweet. It has a very nice opening and then it dries down gently and lasts quite some time on me, despite the warnings of previous contributers that it is short lived. It is a very elegant and one af a kind fragrance without being bizarre. It reminds me of nothing, which to me means that it's not one for the crowd but one for the lover of individuality:) I haven't fall in love like this since 'discovering' Un jardin sur le Nil, by the same Jean Claude Ellena who created Cologne Bigarade.
24th October, 2006
Bigrade Concentree:
This starts out sharp and bitter,almost a peppery citrus. 30 minutes later, it begins to mellow. The citrus sharpness begins to give way to more floral almost vanilla like sweetness. By the end of the day it is faint,clean, pleasant. I think one of the above reviews characterizes it as eccentric. This is accurate, and part of its appeal. If Bigrade Concentree were architecture, it would be Le Corbusier's Villa Savoy -bright, slightly eccentric, but elegant in its straightforward geometry.
02nd October, 2006

Add your review of Cologne Bigarade

Shop for Cologne Bigarade products online

Search Amazon for Cologne Bigarade

Member images of Cologne Bigarade

There are no member images of Cologne Bigarade yet. Why not be the first?

Features relating to Cologne Bigarade