Musk (1968)

Musk information

Year of Launch1968

HouseAlyssa Ashley

About Musk

Musk is a shared / unisex perfume by Alyssa Ashley. The scent was launched in 1968

Reviews of Musk

Citrus, Jasmine, Musk, Rose, Carnation, Coumarin, Amber, Vanilla, Orris Root.

I suppose the first things I noticed after applying Musk Extreme was that it immediately performed like a conventional Eau de Toilette and it possessed a slight hairspray accord. Does that mean it was an instantaneous deal breaker? No, it wasn't off putting because the hairspray aura wasn't sharp like some can be, yet is it evident.

Am I saying that I like it? I can't say that I do, but I don't hate it. I have a few fragrances by Alyssa Ashley that I wear, but this particular one leans far too feminine for me and it's also one I cannot generate any love for. It goes on oily as well, so expect some topical residue for awhile. This may well be one that interacts better with some sort of base, but I have neither the time or inclination to experiment.

When I wear "musk", I guess I expect a sensuality to be present or at least some type of animalic aspect augmenting the surrounding notes. Unfortunately, I don't realize that with Musk Extreme. There's a warm, herbaceous and spicy quality present, along with some sharper, floral elements that create the hairspray comparison. I cannot help but mentally correlate the aroma to "drugstore".

Normally, I enjoy breaking a scent down to explain what notes are doing what for me as I wear it. I won't do that here since the above is basically what I experience through the life of the scent, with the exception of a mild vanilla peeking through in the base and beyond. Sillage is average with longevity approximately 4 hours on my skin with heavy sprays. It does last longer as a skin scent. Neutral rating from SS for Alyssa Ashley's Musk Extreme and as always, a sample wear is highly recommended.
08th March, 2015
According to Barbara Herman this was originally a Houbigant joint release with Ashley.
She found it "floral, bright, baby powder," the scent of "freshly washed hair.

It is that, more floral than musk, very light - almost a non-scent. Reminds me of the light scents in the Elizabeth Arden line. The Musk for Men is more redolent of the amber/vanilla quality of real musk. Still it's an extremely low concentration of musk oil compared to a Lutens Muscs de Kublai Khan, which is pure musk oil and quite strong.

If you are a fan of musk, go for the Lutens and pass this one by.
15th July, 2014
simple, plain powder from the super market probably makes better than that.. i guess a no no for me, all i smell is powder, and not for so long..
14th March, 2013
Pleasant but, like fake snow, utterly devoid of character.
The ‘cleanness’ of white musk with its laundry room air is mainly to blame, here paired with body lotion florals (mainly a powdery rose) and, if you try really hard, a minuscule amount of something that reads as a green citrus. Sweet and bland, would be just fine as a deodorant, but is something of a disgrace to the idea of a perfume.
14th December, 2012
Fabulous liquid musk to make a perfume lover feel in paradise...

This review is of the perfume oil...x
23rd July, 2011 (last edited: 06th August, 2011)
I tried a little bottle of the new stuff, and it was nothing. Then I found a bottle of the original Houbigant, probably vintage 1980, and it was very good.

One squirt filled the room with the intoxicating aroma of sunshine and teenage exuberange. Delightful!
14th December, 2010

Add your review of Musk

Shop for Musk products online

Shop for Musk at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Musk

Member images of Musk

There are no member images of Musk yet. Why not be the first?