Unbound for Men (2002)

Unbound for Men information

Year of Launch2002

HouseHalston

About Unbound for Men

A fresh clean fragrance with floral notes and a marine quality.

Reviews of Unbound for Men

Halston Unbound is an extremely pleasant, cool, refreshing aquatic cologne that works for any occasion, formal or informal, day or night. It's very similar to Armani's Acqua di Gio but the slot occupied in ADG by a citrus accord is held by a cool melon. Perfect for an August afternoon in the dog days of summer.

When I close my eyes and smell this fragrance, it takes me to a green hill overlooking the ocean. Between the hill and the edge of the beach there is a garden filled with the green leaves of lime and tomato plants. The cool ocean breeze lifts the scent of the fresh leaves upwards and blows it on my face as I sit in the shade beneath a fig tree, eating a watermelon. That is where this takes me. Heavenly!

My only gripe is the longevity. I get maybe 4 hours out of this one, which isn't terrible for a hot day but far from stellar. This is the case with many summer fragrances, however. For instance, Creed's highly regarded Green Irish Tweed lasts about as long but costs over ten times as much. I got a 3.4 oz bottle of Unbound for under $20 including shipping. So fill up a decant or carry the bottle itself with you to work. This is one fragrance you don't mind reapplying.
10th December, 2012
I’m kinda surprised that until now there’re not negative reviews about Unbound.
I mean it’s a clone of “Acqua di Gio”, maybe it’s a little better constructed, but it’s too much sweet , common and basically anyone will ask you” hey are you wearing armani Acqua …”
I’m sorry but there are so many other fragrances that I would buy instead of this.
17th November, 2012 (last edited: 18th November, 2012)
This strong aquatic seemed to have such promise from my sample vial, but only after buying two minis did I start to notice its drawbacks; I think the juice was different. From a mini, the comparisons with Acqua di Gio are obvious; even out of the splash bottle I recognize the same salty sharpness of seaweed-plus-flowers. Here, though, there's a lot of that Cucumber Melon Body Wash thing going on, which makes a noticeable difference--not with any sweetness but with a sickly dose of stagnant rubbery vegetables. I remember less harsh sharpness and more pleasant fruitiness (i.e. more accurate melon) from the sample vial, hence everyone's comments about watermelon. The melon is still here in the mini, but as such a thin, metallic caricature of itself that it's just depressing. By the end, the base is such a sour, sappy mess that I can't believe I bought 15 mL of the stuff at less than $1/mL. And if I'm right in thinking that my vial smelled better than my two minis, such a huge inconsistency should not occur in a low-end designer fragrance because it's built from mostly inexpensive synthetics. If you want AdG, just get AdG...hell, I like it and I admit it. If you want more fruit, get Hugh Parsons Traditional or spring for Millesime Imperial. If you want more storms and seaweed, get Bulgari Aqua. All are great aquatics, and none are super expensive.
14th August, 2011
Much more subdued than other inexpensive Halston fragrances such as 1-12 and Z-14, Unbound hugs the skin and shakes off it fleeting and ephemeral top and heart quickly, making it a good choice for office wear. Pleasant woody/amber drydown on the verge of being too boring and short-lived, but refined enough to warrant a neutral ranking.
01st June, 2011
Unbound is a good fragrance for its price. Even if they price it at the same level as Bvlgari I would still feel the same. The opening reminds me of AdG in an instant, but as it progresses, 360 Red comes to mind. There is a spicy accord in Unbound and 360 Red, but none in AdG, making Unbound a little bit more mature. To compare these 3 scents, Unbound is in the middle between the other two and have a good balance of being a fresh and spicy fragrance.

360 Red is sweet, while AdG is all the way fresh and watery.

For longevity, I find Unbound okay. It's a skin scent for me, and I get a whiff of it whenever I move.
06th April, 2011
I think it's a really good fragrance and strongly different from Aqua di Gio..So much better than that. Where ADG is too strong and obtrusive is, there Unbound is smooth and fine.

Unbound lacks that terrible,cloying citrus blast what ADG produces from beginning to the end. The fine fig,the light tomato leaf and white birch notes make Unbound like a fresh,spring wind. That's true it's not a heavy fragrance,you can use more from it to last longer.

But if someone mentions the word "clone"..yes..Unbound's bottle is...a really perfect copy of Ralph Lauren Romance for men..just watch them :-)
22nd March, 2011

Add your review of Unbound for Men

Shop for Unbound for Men products online

Search Amazon for Unbound for Men

Member images of Unbound for Men

There are no member images of Unbound for Men yet. Why not be the first?