Tai Winds (1972)

HouseAvon

About Tai Winds

Tai Winds is a masculine fragrance by Avon. The scent was launched in 1972

Reviews of Tai Winds

Now this is an Avon scent above almost anything and everything they've made in terms of potency outside of maybe Cordovan from 1982. It's what one gets if they take the elements that made Brut by Faberge such a hit and built upon it to something superior (yes, this is better than the iconic Brut, you can hate me later but read on). Imagine if you will, a fresh fougere like the aforementioned Brut with that classic barbershop powdery base and sweet lavender, but then jazzed with some bergamot notes, and amplified into a rich, warm projection beast with vanilla, musk, and something green I can't place.

The stuff is just so strong, yet comforting, it's one of the most dynamic barbershop scents I have ever encountered. I still say Dirty (now by Lush) is the ultimate of this trope, just because the mint makes it the freshest of the fresh among this classic trope, but Avon Tai Winds is a serious contender for 2nd place, outing both Brut and Canoe and knocking them both down a peg. Granted, this is an original NoS bottle actually from 1972 (see picture below), so the richness of the bouquet here might have to do with no restriction on ingredients unlike the other listed fougeres which are all newer by several decades, but even if this were reformulated and re-released by Avon (which never re-releases ANYTHING once discontinued anymore like they used to), it would still be more of a heavyweight than it's more popular competition.

The bottle itself is gorgeous and really reminds me of something from Planet Vulcan, and it most certainly could have been a prop on the set of Star Trek, and maybe in Spock's personal quarters. It has that smooth, steely sense of control that Spock usually has, with the true power it possesses bubbling underneath with the wisps of that green accord and the other herbals that swirl about and climb out of the vanilla/musk/powder mire that has trapped them. It's one of the very rare examples of Avon not just trying to make a "me-too" to a popular designer fragrance or fragrance trope, but actually surpass what it's inspired from in almost every conceivable way. I am dead serious that with the right retro marketing, and bringing back the original bottle design, this could be a real-life "Sex Panther" cologne that would sell in oodles just for it's personification of the genteel and confidant early 70's man.

We're talking about a potential "Pabst Blue-Ribbon Beer" type kind of comeback fragrance, because it's not just the biggest and boldest of the old-school barbershop fougeres I've smelled, but also among the richest and smoothest. It's mystique and bold nature is every bit as delivered as the packaging and box promises. I admit the name "Tai Winds" made me laugh, because I thought to myself "what kind of corny crap do they think they're trying to pull naming a cologne something this ostentatious? It sounds like something out of Kung-Fu movie", but little did I find out until I was actually wearing the stuff (which felt like breaking an ancient seal after having the stuff sit untouched for 45 years), that it wasn't bragging. This stuff literally is like a wind. I will admit that if you hate old-school scents like this, then just as in the movie from which the "Sex Panther" cologne originates, you'd probably want to hose me down in a back alley once I dab this stuff on, but you're gonna have to catch me first.
02nd September, 2017
Very musky with some citrus at the opening and some spiciness at the heart, but basically musk from beginning to end.
Discontinued and practically hard to find nowadays.
My flacon is a Rolls-Royce, but it comes in a variety of flacons.
19th July, 2015
Tai Winds was a lovely man's fragrance, composed of citrus, musk and subtle spice notes. It some ways it was similar to Kouros, but it was more subtle and gentle.

Sad that it's been discontined.
29th March, 2010