parfums*PARFUMS Series 3 Incense: Avignon (2002)
by Comme des Garçons

parfums*PARFUMS Series 3 Incense: Avignon information

Year of Launch2002

HouseComme des Garçons
PerfumerBertrand Duchaufour

About parfums*PARFUMS Series 3 Incense: Avignon

parfums*PARFUMS Series 3 Incense: Avignon is a shared / unisex perfume by Comme des Garçons. The scent was launched in 2002 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Bertrand Duchaufour

parfums*PARFUMS Series 3 Incense: Avignon fragrance notes

Reviews of parfums*PARFUMS Series 3 Incense: Avignon

I had to chuckle about 20 minutes into the drydown of Avignon, because it smells exactly like the dry cracked church pews of my youth, permeated with decades of incense and the smell of old prayerbooks and hymnals. I love it! And I also understand why some people would not appreciate it, in the absence of a similar personal history. It does smell musty, dusty, etc. Avignon is an experience, and the evocation of ages past - it is exactly what it purports to be, and I think it's wonderful.
02nd October, 2015
Behold the olfactory equivalent of a Gregorian chant! Inspired by a 14th Century Gothic cathedral in Avignon, France. Wafting like catholic church incense, clouds of frankincense and myrrh, drifting smoky and resinous. Incense Avignon unfolds into a high mass or peaceful meditation, depending on mood. Captured in all its stark beauty by master perfumer Bertrand Duchaufour. Like his best scents, it is capable of transporting the wearer to another time and place. Perhaps the holy grail of incense fragrances.
04th September, 2015
Wonderful austere Frankincense scent.
Smells like the unburnt resin, but slightly softened and rounded, very linear on my skin.
Great pure, dry incense scent.
23rd August, 2015
Notes: roman chamomile, cistus oil, elemi, incense, vanilla, patchouli, palisander, ambrette seeds.

Avignon opens almost as grandiose in stature as the Palasi des Papes of Avignon itself; weaving a whimsical and evocative tapestry of dark smoldering warmth of Gothic-cathedral proportions, attributed to a vividly accurate star accord of smokey ash laden frankincense and myrrh.

With the image of warm sunlight shining through the colorful mosaic glass and those childhood memories of Sunday mass conjured and in full swing, comes the scents swirling and unraveling progressive stage of the opening; akin to the smoke emanating from a swaying thurible of the priest making his way from the vestry. This phase is by far my favorite, as it’s when Avignon’s wonderfully challenging burning and glowing resin is presented in its full glory.

Bertrand Duchaufour cleverly avoids pushing the boundaries to levels of burning and jagged austerity and realism, by taming and softening the edges with a bone dry vanilla and an enchanting and comforting Roman chamomile, which plays its role in setting forth a peaceful and meditative state; leaving a trail of dusty sweetness soothing out the bitter in a manner in which only lavender or chamomile can do.

This crucial step in the blending never creates a dichotomy of contradicting and conflicting elements, but rather strikes that meticulously inventive contrasting (yet harmonious) state, where the stark dry boldness of the heated ash is tempered and complemented with it’s polar opposite of light and warmth (a zesty elemi/vanilla/chamomile) which is key for the scents wearability in my opinion. Avignon remains very linear on my skin for the most part, with iso-e-super playing its role in imparting a rich velvety prominent texture and volume giving the incense accords a much needed lift in carrying the concept through to the very end.

After spending a portion of my childhood in a quaint little Catholic town in Southern Italy called Martina Franca, I became quite accustomed early on to the rich and enigmatic aroma of freshly burnt incense, which naturally was common place in the charming town. Although I’m not Catholic myself and have no religious affinities to the scent, I’m definitely partial to the smell of incense and Avignon is immensely enjoyable and evokes those fond childhood memories in spades.

In closing, I must confess. I really do love this one a lot, highly recommended! Finally I’ll add that after sampling the entire Incense series 3 line up, I can unequivocally attest that this one is the stand out and definitely up there with Zagorsk as having the best longevity and silage in the series.

Rating: 8.5/10
Longevity: 8/10
Projection: 8/10
Occasion: Casual
22nd December, 2014
I had picked the perfect day to review this scent...clod front moving in, chilly winds and grey skies. The fragrance itself is wonderful! With my limited experience in patchoulis, I found Avignon to be exactly as I expected. Not the nag champa smell from college, but a refined church-like accord. The sad disappointment came with the short longevity and minimal sillage. For me, it is a skin scent, and one I have to reapply after 3-4 hours. For these reasons, I cannot give it a thumbs up.
03rd October, 2014
I haven't been in a church before so I don't know how they smell like but if church truly smell like this, I believe I've found my new goal in life. becoming a father! :D
This is a great classic with adding a little bit more dark flavor comparing to the usual classic fragrances.
The opening is a semi fresh, clean and kind of soft soapy aldehydic scent with great support of smoky incense, some resins and a little bit of sweetness in the background. very good balance between light and dark side.
While the opening is really good, the mid is even better and actually I love the mid.
In the mid the semi fresh and aldehydic scent settled down and incense and resinous myrrh notes became stronger. I can feel a soft powdery feeling in the background as well that gives the scent a very elegant and classy feel.
The mid is smoky, resinous and oily, slightly powdery with kick of mellow aldehydic smell in a smooth way that all together creating a beautiful and so elegant classic scent.
The base is a simple semi sweet smell with some smokiness in the background.
Projection is above average and longevity is around 4-5 hours on my skin.
15th June, 2014

Add your review of parfums*PARFUMS Series 3 Incense: Avignon

Shop for parfums*PARFUMS Series 3 Incense: Avignon products online

Search Amazon for parfums*PARFUMS Series 3 Incense: Avignon

Member images of parfums*PARFUMS Series 3 Incense: Avignon

There are no member images of parfums*PARFUMS Series 3 Incense: Avignon yet. Why not be the first?

Features relating to parfums*PARFUMS Series 3 Incense: Avignon