Baladin (1994)

Year of Launch1994

HouseNicolaï
PerfumerPatricia de Nicolaï

About Baladin

Baladin is a masculine fragrance by Nicolaï. The scent was launched in 1994 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Patricia de Nicolaï

Baladin fragrance notes

Reviews of Baladin

A mild, subtle note with a vaguely woody character. What wood? I would have said teak and cedar, certainly not vetiver, and there is no obvious leather either, or any of the other listed notes. You could say that signifies expert blending, but the result is too nondescript for my taste.
30th July, 2018
I'm less excited for this Nicolai fragrance than I have been about the last couple I tried, Odalisque and Musc Intense, especially Odalisque.

This is interesting. It's interesting to see leather listed as a note. I'm not thinking of a better way to describe it - upholstery, maybe, some newly-manufactured product - and a box of crayons. I get visions of an elementary school with recent refurbishments.
20th April, 2018
Aromatic herbal opening – very nice accord of mint, grapefruit, tarragon and thyme, citrus and three herbs I wouldn’t have thought would work together –. It’s remarkable how fresh it is and yet warm remains warm. I guess the warmth comes from both the tarragon and leather notes. The accord is enjoyable, nondramatic, grounding.

When the leather and vetiver take over, I pretty much begin losing the fragrance. The accord becomes quite reticent to my nose, searching deeply for it, I find the accord pleasant, but I would find the accord more interesting if it came through a little more strongly for me. As a skin scent, I don’t think it’s compelling enough – a soap or moisturizing lotion could accomplish the same thing. Baladin started out well, but ends in a fizzle.
28th August, 2015
Genre: Leather

Old school, but not necessarily in a bad way. Baladin exits the bottle with conventional citrus and lavender top notes, followed almost immediately by soft, fruity leather. The sweet fruit and leather accord at Baladin's heart reminds me of Daim Blond and Cuir Ottoman, though a bit darker and more smoky. A potent but very smooth aromatic/herbal accord gradually moves in from behind the leather to darken the scent and sharpen its edge. The leather seems to vanish altogether after just a few hours to leave a spicy, woody drydown touched with a hint of dry herbs.

I think of Baladin as a well-made scent, but not one that is terribly distinctive. It would make a good, safe, and appealing office scent, but I doubt it's something that will turn a lot of heads.
10th June, 2014
I liked it for a while, appreciated it for a while, then finally became discontent with it and washed it off.
For me, the leather came to dominate -- and I don't care for leather as a note.
The scent starts with some good citrus and mint notes. These are very refreshing and bright. Nothing sweet or heavy here. The leather at this point smoothes out some of the acidity in the citrus.
Then, the leather takes center stage. Actually, it is quite interesting at this point, and certainly distinctive. Obviously leather, still not sweet nor heavy. Reminds me of a well-worn pair of leather gloves which have been sitting in the sun.
But then the leather note takes on a somewhat odd character -- cool, vaguely aquatic. That combination doesn't appeal to me at all and I said farewell.
At least the vanilla never made an appearance.
23rd February, 2013
While I can't count Baladin among the most distinctive releases in perfumery I surely can classify it as an honest and dignified masculine fragrance. A nice concoction of culinary herbs (mainly thyme) introduced by a very classic citrus-lavender opening. Birch tar and vetiver add some edge and a pleasant twist to this subtle composition.

Discreet, easy to wear but not banal. A perfect office fragrance that's still head and shoulders ahead of today's masculines. Reasonably priced and honestly crafted. Very nice.
28th July, 2011 (last edited: 05th August, 2011)

Add your review of Baladin

Shop for Baladin products online

NEW LISTINGS!!!! Niche Perfume Bottles! *EMPTY* Guerlain, Chanel, Dior MORE!

End Date: Tuesday Nov-20-2018 20:33:19 PST
Buy It Now for only: $4.50
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Member images of Baladin

There are no member images of Baladin yet. Why not be the first?

Features relating to Baladin