L'Ombre dans L'Eau (1983)
by Diptyque

L'Ombre dans L'Eau information

Year of Launch1983

HouseDiptyque
Parent CompanyManzanita

About L'Ombre dans L'Eau

Scented like a green riverside garden.

L'Ombre dans L'Eau fragrance notes

Reviews of L'Ombre dans L'Eau

The Wedding BY Kasimir Malevich 1907
22nd November, 2017
Ehrm, no. Just no. This is unwearable for me.

It opens up very very green, a bitter, wry vegetal green. Green scents are something I'm just getting used to, and this fragrance is too challenging for me. I'd need something fresh or acidic to be able to tolerate this kind of green, like Sisley Eau de Campagne which is just on the threshold of what I can manage. Instead, I get a candy sweet rose, and it just clashes with the greenness like it's nobody's business. The two components then proceed to fight for hours, rolling on the floor snarling and snapping at each other like angry dogs.

It's certainly not boring, but it's definitely not for me.
17th June, 2017
Fresh watery floral that straddles both sweet and green.

It is early in the morning and you are walking through rows of tomato bushes, piquant with lush green leaves, freshly sprayed with water. Next to them are lovely young baby-pink tea roses, also just freshly hosed (by a sensible mature woman who likes gardening and the outdoors.) With its French name being translated into something like "shadows in water", I do now see where the perfumers were going with this....

But before I tested this fragrance I imagined dark, mossy rock pools discovered after a long trek deep into an uncharted rainforest. THAT is what I had hoped for!

The watery-ness of this composition is lovely but allows the sweetness to assert far too much dominance. An 'I've freshly showered' scent for a summer garden party perhaps, but not nearly enough shadowy-ness for me...
29th April, 2016
In January, 2013, alone in a small niche perfumery in Rome and armed with birthday money, which is free money, I made my first niche perfume purchases, among them L’Ombre Dans L’Eau. I ended up selling all but one of those bottles (I kept Borneo 1834), and the first on the chopping block was L’Ombre Dans L’Eau. I always have a moment of hesitation before selling on a perfume, but not this time.

I had, of course, made the rookie mistake of falling in love with the fresh, green topnotes and not waiting for the dry down to arrive before getting my wallet out. The top notes are great though, if you’re into very vivid, naturalistic garden settings – this one is like walking through a lush, wet tomato patch, snapping the leaves as you go. The blackcurrant leaf note is particularly mouth-watering.

But what I discovered when I got home was a luridly pink, neon-lit rose that screeched and screeched in my ear until my last nerve snapped. I read somewhere that people think it would make a better room spray than a personal perfume, so before selling it, I gave it one last spritz around the bedroom. But that just made the room smell of L’Ombre Dans L’Eau, so no, that didn’t work.

Recently, someone sent me a sample in a swap, and I decided to see if my feelings about it have changed. Nope. It’s still pretty awful – that loud pink disco rose waiting in hiding behind the beautiful opening, poised to explode all over the pain receptors in my brain – Jesus, someone get this off of me, please.
13th January, 2016
I do not smell rose or blackcurrant anything.

I smell something burnt on an old stove that really needs cleaning.

How can this be worn with joy?

I tried. I hoped for better in the middle notes. Nope. It was still gross.

I even thought I would give it a chance for the basenotes - there is a faint fruit/berry. But it does not redeem the the entire experience.

I gave it two stars because of the base notes - it had some of the actual notes it claimed. Otherwise, it would have been a one.
12th October, 2015
Messy, acrid cheap synthetic cassis, synthetic rose and synthetic blackcurrant all the way. It may have been better some years ago, now it’s this – and nothing else. It smells halfway a drugstore green-rose cologne from the 1980’s and a contemporary fruity-musky scent right out of a suburban Chinese emporium. As hours pass it becomes more tolerable as it focuses on rose and faint leafy echo, but it’s still nothing more than a cheap insult to “selective” perfumery for me.

10th July, 2015

Add your review of L'Ombre dans L'Eau

Shop for L'Ombre dans L'Eau products online

Shop for L'Ombre dans L'Eau at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for L'Ombre dans L'Eau

Member images of L'Ombre dans L'Eau

There are no member images of L'Ombre dans L'Eau yet. Why not be the first?