L'Eau Trois (1975)

Year of Launch1975

HouseDiptyque
Parent CompanyManzanita

About L'Eau Trois

Based on the scent of shrubs from the mountainous coastline of northern Greece.

L'Eau Trois fragrance notes

Reviews of L'Eau Trois

A balsamic pomander at take-off paves the way to a frankincense flavoured with rosemary and cistus, very pleasant.
02nd January, 2018
Cool, herbal opening with oregano, myrtle, pine, rosemary and camphor. In the past when I've worn this, the slightly too herbal opening would transition to a lovely, holy grail pine straw and sap scent with a quietly smoky resinous base. L'Eau Trois made it on to my wishlist as the perfect scent of sun heating pinestraw on a hot summer day - a nostalgic trip to my childhood in Georgia.

Trying it again after a long haitus, I've found that there's much more of a metallic note and the oregano is dominant. It's not wearably herbal, just reminiscent of pizza sauce. I've changed medications and diets, so maybe L'Eau Trois no longer favors my skin chemistry. Such a shame, but perhaps it's a good thing to no longer pine after a discontinued gem.
14th October, 2017
A beautiful, strange smell but totally unwearable as a personal fragrance. I was entranced with it when I smelled it at the SF Diptyque and bought a bottle but now spray it around the room trying to use it up. Extremely dusty, musty and gray ashy thing similar to a Versailles Pour Homme stripped of its Frenchness. Problem is that it doesn't project or have substantial enough base notes to go anywhere. It lingers close to the skin and lasts a surprising while, but at length it is just too creepy to live with on the body.
22nd January, 2015
I'm in love for Diptyque L'Eau Trois since this naif fragrance plays a powerful evocative effect on me, conjuring me actually (at least for a part of its run) the unique (medicinal-laundry-soapy) aroma you can catch in the Hotel's wiped rooms and along the lobbies (so many feelings and flashbacks about the holidays with family back in my childhood). The typically (classically) soapy-neutral chypre aroma is by soon indeed aldehydic-hesperidic and angular-medicinal, aromatic and herbal, spicy-resinous and slighly soapy. There is an harsh-dry grass (or toasted tobacco) like bitter undertone (a sort of licorice-raw brown sugar feel probably provided by oregano-rosemary in their wonderful connection with laurel, myrtle oil, resins and thyme) which I feel on skin and that cuts (as a bitter breaking point) the main "toiletries-like" mild-aromatic-soapy vibe. I detect by soon aromatic lavender, bergamot, aldehydes, fir resins, cinnamon-cloves, something camphoraceous, oakmoss, jasmine and a sort of subtle animalic presence joined with a waxy-resinous-balmy backbone (with vague conjurations about scents a la Cabochard by Gres, Bogue MAAI, Creed Acier Alluminium and Vero Profumo Mito). All the evolution towards the mossy-resinous-waxy soapiness is escorted by an almost balsamic feel, an heady spicy jasmine and by a constant bitter undertone. The dry down is classically hesperidic-chypre, mossy, minty and divinely retro. Persistent on my skin. High class on skin.
06th January, 2015
Genre: Leather

Well, it's not run-of-the-mill, that's for sure! I get tart citrus and celery in the aromatic opening, soon underpinned by dry woods (perhaps cedar) and a distinct resinous conifer note. There's also a lot of rosemary in this blend, and this gives the herbal accord a decidedly culinary twist.

Unfortunately, I must be seriously anosmic to something in this fragrance, since the next thing I know it's disappeared on me. In fact, I almost have to disqualify myself from reviewing L'Eau Trois since I catch so little of it. A very faint celery note lingers on my skin for an hour or so, and that's as much as I get.
19th June, 2014
Eau Trois opens with a bold, metallic-camphor ultra-spicy accord of cinnamon, cloves, aldehydes, thick aromatic woods, some flowers I can not detect further (perhaps jasmine, lavender), earthy-stale notes like tree moss and an overall dark, dense, animalic and almost indolic feel. Which together with the aldehydes and the camphor-spicy vibe creates a severe, carnal, overwhelming "old dirty chypre" mood. Benzoin, olibanum, a roasty, smoky incense note, a hint of liquorice and resinous, heavy pine tree notes complete the composition. Much balsamic and medicinal with a palpable "doom" all around, threatening and naughty. A bit outdated to be honest, but fascinating - just for the record, I almost never consider scents "outdated", as actually most of the fragrances I use and enjoy are vintage: by "outdated" I simply mean you instantly recognize this was made several years ago, to please a certain target of people which today does not exist anymore, and sadly, it basically has not much to appeal other targets. Still, it's fascinating for the same reason - it's a trip into your old aunt's closet. After a while it emerges more clearly the olibanum-incense accord, resinous, dusty, grey and dense, with several nuances, from medicinal to edible, much spicy too. The complexity of the incense-spicy-balsamic accord reminds me of Casbah by Piguet, just more realistic. Overall a bit cloying and as I said, but interesting and worth a try.

09th June, 2014 (last edited: 08th October, 2014)

Add your review of L'Eau Trois

End Date: Sunday May-12-2019 13:48:29 PDT
Buy It Now for only: $21.99
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Member images of L'Eau Trois

There are no member images of L'Eau Trois yet. Why not be the first?