Olène (1988)

Olène is a shared / unisex perfume by Diptyque. The scent was launched in 1988

Olène fragrance notes

Reviews of Olène

rbaker Show all reviews
This is floral galore. Opening with a jasmin as the core component throughout, I get an interesting set of additional floral undertones. At times a crisper and nigh steely-bitter intensive indolic aroma, intermixed with notes narcissus and at times even touches of tuberose with hyacinth. Otherwise this is a fairly linear composition.

The performance is excellent, with moderate sillage, very good projection and a magnificent thirteen hours of longevity on my skin.

A nice floral for the jasmine-lover, never cloying or too sweet, with great performance. 3.25/5.
25th September, 2017
Stardate 20170824:

Smells like a good quality soap. No indoles. No richness. Fabric softner type smell. I will pass. Maybe they need to come out with EDP for this one.
Neutral to thumbs down.
Edit:
This may be a victim of reformulation. My review is for what is out there now. Seems that vintage juice was better.
24th August, 2017
A jasmine soliflore of great sillage and longetivity.

My favorite jasmine scent thus far has been Serge Lutens' A La Nuit (2000). Olene predates that scent by twelve years and was perhaps a challenge Lutens decided he would meet by making a better version.

Turin in his Perfume Guide gives a long paragraph description of indoles and skatoles, which makes these terms perfectly clear and understandable. He praises Olene for being a near perfect jasmine, while his spouse, Tania Sanchez, describes A La Nuit as "death by jasmine."

I am of the opposite opinion. I find the Lutens to be the truer scent, with its fresh greenness. Olene is excellent, but to its discredit there is the nose-tingling effect of mothballs (not the scent of them, mind you, but the olfactory response) that intrudes upon the pure jasmine effect.

Odd that every reviewer here notes it as a jasmine, while the note tree lists two scents (wisteria, narcissus) which I do not perceive and leaves jasmine out of the picture.

If you are looking for a jasmine soliflore, do try both Olene and A La Nuit and make up your own mind.
12th February, 2016
If you love Jasmine, and are looking for a JASMINE scent, you've found it! Yes, it is linear, but sometimes, that is what you are searching for!

I have many jasmine scents, and I love them all. Some have many complex notes along with them, and they are brilliantly done. Every now and then, though, I just want to smell the jasmine, so that is the void Olene fills.

Get the square bottle if you can find it.
09th February, 2016
Like a garden full of flowers...

You know, it's not easy to review perfumes sometimes... I get lost in the description and everything, and I don't always find the right words, but this one is just such a natural, peaceful smell for me. It's like standing in a summer garden full of beautiful flowers. I can't really describe it any better than that (but of course I'll try)!

Diptyque - Olène is inspired by gardens in the city of Venice, where jasmine grows along walled gardens. Personally, this strikes me more as a garden surrounded by nature, not buildings. The notes work together in such harmony that it feels like you're really there! Jasmine is the main note, but green, and supported by more "green" notes, but also some very intense florals (which I'm not good at describing), like Narcissus, Wisteria, Honeysuckle etc. But like I said, this just reminds me of sitting or standing in a garden absolutely full of all the heady, intoxicating flowers you can think of. It's very floral, but also green and sheer, and I have no problem wearing it in summer or in winter.

I think if you are someone who likes very natural smelling floral notes, or enjoy the smell of being in a garden, and working with plants, then you may fall in love with this one. How they managed to put all this in one bottle I have no idea... but it smells wonderful! Really lovely.
08th December, 2014
Genre: Floral

Olène is a big, heady, indolic jasmine, and whether or not it contains the night-scented species, it creates a profoundly nocturnal ambience. It’s a touch clearer, cooler, and drier that Serge Lutens’s À la Nuit, but it is a similarly weighty fragrance. As it ages on the skin Olène's indoles grow even more potent and prominent, without the honey and spice that season the jasmine in À la Nuit’s floral oriental context. In this regard Olène comes close to being a true soliflore, one of relatively few in modern perfumery.

As so many other Diptyque compositions, Olène is a relatively linear scent, sustaining its bold jasmine accord for hours before drying down to a musky, woody base. Olène is a potent fragrance: it projects well and leaves an ample cloud of sillage behind it. If you’re looking for a straightforward jasmine scent, I recommend you give Olène a try.

21st June, 2014

Add your review of Olène

Shop for Olène products online

Shop for Olène at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Olène

Member images of Olène

There are no member images of Olène yet. Why not be the first?