Cuba (2002)

Year of Launch2002

HouseCzech & Speake
PerfumerJohn Stephen

About Cuba

Cuba is a shared / unisex perfume by Czech & Speake. The scent was launched in 2002 and the fragrance was created by perfumer John Stephen

Cuba fragrance notes

Reviews of Cuba

Now that I've worked my way through the Czeck & Speake line, I feel like their perfumes often start out a bit awkward, with occasional questionable topnotes, but they tend to melt together after about an hour into something quite well put together. Cuba is a perfect example of this. It goes on with burst of toothpaste mint that awkwardly smothers a weirdly meaty and medicinal fougere fern. But somehow, given time, it melts into that leathery sweaty old man smell that Le Labo uses a lot, but with a dash of pie spices for warmth and a rather nice sweet musk drydown that quietly hints at Musc Ravageur.

All in all, I really wanted to like Cuba, and I enjoy the musky basenotes, but I think the mint is a mess, so I'm just going to vote neutral.
17th September, 2017
The 'fecal' note some of the reviewers are moaning about is the tonka. No need to elaborate on this further, because it's silly enough to mistake it for ass. I mean, I wish my ass smelled like this, but no.
Ok, back to the scent. It's manly, rummy, minty, a tad sweet, distinctive and animalic, in a good way. Good longevity and sillage, at least enough to enjoy it for a good couple of hours. If you don't overspray it (5 sprays is more than enough) you'll like it just as much as the people around you. Best worn on the chest, but that's my opinion.
30th May, 2017
gimpy Show all reviews
Olfactory heroin. Completely intoxicating, while still being manly. Green, floral, and spices, with a huge minty bay rum undercurrent.
30th June, 2016
C&S's Cuba is one of my top-shelf favs. Unlike most, however, I think a rose or geranium floral adds a great deal to this mix. No doubt, the floral is tempered by a whole lot - vetiver, cedar, clove, a cooling mint, resin - making it one of the best warm-weather, handsome, masculine scents I know. A bit of 'gnarl' is present throughout the heart making it that much more interesting but, in no way, does that define the scent; rather, it's remindful of sun-baked skin.

Does all the above represent tobacco? Is it like Havana? Bay Rhum? Not to me, no... but that doesn't matter. Above average longevity. I wear a good 10+ sprays under clothing.

I'm 50+, for reference. 5/5

p.s. Apply to chest after a cold shower after getting your heart up for awhile on a 90-degree-day... and the camphor/mint will take your breath away. Summer standout.
15th February, 2016 (last edited: 04th June, 2017)
Genre: Leather

November 2008:
Juniper berries, bay leaf, and booze: that’s bay rhum, and that’s Czech and Speake’s Cuba. Some tobacco, leather, and a touch of smoke round out the structure until a somewhat abrasive woody drydown sets in. I like Cuba’s starting point better than its destination, so when I’m in the mood for booze and tobacco I’ll still turn to the richer, more complex Havana.

August 2009:
The more time I spend with Cuba, the more I like it. The drydown is indeed angular, but warm weather also brings out a stupendous fecal-animalic component (civet and castoreum I think,) that makes it paradoxically frightening and irresistible. Ideal for people who, like me, occasionally enjoy rolling in their own filth!
11th June, 2014 (last edited: 12th June, 2014)
A masculine majesty, austere, warm like a Cuban evening, with humid tobacco leaves, rhum, benzoin, amber, a fresh touch of zesty citrus and a few culinary herbs. A wet, shady floral heart emerges soon, notes of dry flowers left under the rain, bringing a slight camphor note as in classic masculine chypres. On the base, a stout, refined and cozy woody concoction. As minutes pass it emerges a beautiful rose note slightly fruity too, sensual and juicy, almost carnal, really aromatic and perfectly blended with the overall austere, elegant mood given by tobacco and herbal notes. Dry, almost gloomy, distinguished and exotic, powerful but noble, with a gentle side of more delicate and airy notes. Rose-ambery-woody-smoky drydown, silky and discreet, quite long-lasting and slightly balsamic too. A great, versatile gentlemanly scent.

24th January, 2014 (last edited: 27th June, 2014)

Add your review of Cuba

Shop for Cuba products online

Member images of Cuba

There are no member images of Cuba yet. Why not be the first?

Features relating to Cuba