Aqua Velva New Musk
    by Williams

Average Rating: 3.5

Based on 17 ratings

Aqua Velva New Musk information

Aqua Velva New Musk is a men's fragrance by Williams.

Reviews of Aqua Velva New Musk

Showing 1 to 6 of 8 reviews.
    positive 7 Positive Reviewsneutral No Neutral Reviews • negative 1 Negative Reviews

Zenwannabee's avatar

This scent--though under $4.00--punches far above its weight. And the only reason I think that some might shy away from it is that they can't believe something on a drugstore shelf could smell this good. As has been mentioned, it's a true musk, and the initial sweetness quickly gives way to a rich, robust tobacco leather that I love. It's like a nap on a vintage leather couch, or riding in my grandfather's old Lincoln. Retro and yet masculine. This is a winner.

16 April, 2014

nutsaboutclara's avatar

I've been using this scent since the 80s, when I was a teenager, and still do! Great scent, great spice, and great power, too! A definite 5 stars out of 5!

06 December, 2013

ortho123's avatar

I've become a fan of soapy scents, and this one qualifies as a keeper and one to wear frequently.

Sweet musk indeed but for me there's a defined coolness to the floral aspect of this aftershave/cologne that prevents it from veering towards a too insistent "warm" or heavy. It doesn't take refuge in an easy spice or a supplied sharpness...a present scent but also an after image...

02 October, 2012

colormechris's avatar

I was a total Aqua Velva snob once. To me, this and Brut were the equivalent of a knuckle dragging mouth breather in a pleather burgundy jacket. Knuckle dragging mouth breathers do have their charms, but you'd never take one seriously outside of a birthday suit party. So imagine my surprise when one day I found myself in CVS sampling the neon bottles of this brand. I don't remember the others, but the musk took me by surprise and it was so doggone cheap I bought it immediately. The more I wore it, the more I liked it. It's a sweet musk, bordering on girlish. But so what? It's really pleasant. Shamu's take on this juice is a bullseye. It's great for layering and a great stand alone.
    You know what it reminds me of? The little curio shops in Boston's Chinatown. One in particular. It smells exactly like it. Maybe that's what attracted me to the scent. It's mysterious, contemplative and a little sad...it takes me back to a time when I was beyond melancholy, shopping for Christmas gifts the day after Christmas; the ancient floorboards squeaking as I bought Asian novelties for everyone. A pretty, silent woman behind the counter, pretending not to watch me. Looking down at her Mao shoes whenever I glanced at her.

11th August, 2012

shamu1's avatar

I am really impressed with this $3.99 US bottle of cologne. It smells really good, and does actually smell musky. This is a very simple and linear scent, but it does not smell cheap at all.

What I especially like about Aqua Velva New Musk is that it can be used as an aftershave with so many other fragrances. Though it is a long lasting scent, it does not clash at all with so many fragrances I own, and in fact it actually complements many of them. L'Instant de Guerlain, Lapidus Pour Homme, Jovan Musk, Kouros, etc. all layer remarkably well with this aftershave. Of course, due to its excellent longevity, New Musk also makes a very good standalone fragrance. This is a basic sweet musk with a slight floral note, very clean and very manly.

If you poured this juice into another bottle, slapped on a new label that says something like "Smythe's of Taylor St., London" or whatever, and claim that it's been used in London barbershops since the days of Beau Brummell, people would pay $50 for this.

29 March, 2010

Cbalducc's avatar

This is the aftershave equivalent of a vintage muscle car - dated, but lots of raw power and fun. This is hairy-chested masculinity at a cheap price. Use with restraint. R U Man Enough? God bless.

04 February, 2010