Average Rating: 4

Based on 936 ratings

Chergui information

Chergui is a unisex fragrance by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido. The scent was launched in 2001

Shop for Chergui products online

$115.42*
    50ml EdP
    (*converted from GBP 69.00)

Reviews of Chergui

Showing 1 to 6 of 157 reviews.

pman's avatar

Chergui is my first from the lutens,I get hay and talcum/nose powder smell, I have yet not had the opportunity to try in winter/cooler months, but I feel it will be much better for winter months, as I can detect a strange warmth in it.

16 June, 2014

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Oriental

Chergui's opening is all spices, woods, and sweet resins. The spices in Chergui are so well blended that the individual notes are hard to distinguish, but I'm pretty sure I catch coriander, clove, and black pepper in the mix. However, an immense wave of syrup crashes over the arrangement to wash away the woods and carry Chergui through its drydown, though the final stage is lent some counterpoint by the faint cries of the drowning cloves and black pepper.

To my sorry nose, Chergui shares a base that's very similar to several other Lutens scents, including Arabie, Fumerie Turque, and Ambre Sultan. It starts out as a rich and interesting spicy oriental, but winds up overwhelmed by the out-of-balance and overly sweetened base notes.

11th June, 2014

JackTwist's avatar

Turin describes this as a tobacco oriental, but I disagree. I would call it a woody oriental (I am getting Aoud and Cedar) with the pungent spices (Cinnamon, Clove and Nutmeg) that are in Boucheron's Jaipur Homme, all rounded out by Amber, Vanilla and Tonka.

I got the tobacco and honey on my first application spray, but these notes have not emerged since and I've sprayed many times. The Aoud is there in the dry down, but just short of being harsh, tempered by the Cedar.

It is excellent and although copying a great deal the Jaipur, which preceded it by four years, can still stand on its own.

26 March, 2014

broguesforsir's avatar

I do appreciate the sheer talent of Monsieur Lutens and Chergui is probably my favourite fragrance of all time. This is not a fragrance I wear to be noticed, or to project some kind of image or identity; this is a fragrance I wear for me and me only.

Almost gourmand in nature, it envelopes me with its beautiful, warming, and unique oriental self. There isn't much more I can say. Absolutely incredible.

23 March, 2014

Kain's avatar

Iran Iran

Finally I had a chance to sniff this guy and see what's all these exciting reviews about it.
    Honestly I was expecting something much darker, but still it's a great fragrance.
    The opening is warm and sweet honey smell mixed very natural and beautiful and strong cinnamon note plus tobacco and some herbal note in the background.
    The herbal smell which is the hay note, give the tobacco note a dry and herbal feeling.
    The tobacco note isn't that strong and potent.
    It's there with enough power to give the sweet scent a good masculine aroma.
    The ingredients quality is stunning. really high quality fragrance.
    In the dry down the tobacco note start to fade away slowly and you can smell a little stronger herbal hay note and smoother cinnamon.
    It's really warm and sweet and yummy!
    In the base the tobacco and hay notes are really weak and they are completely in the background and now you can smell that warm honey sweet smell with some cinnamon. very sensual smell!
    It's really interesting that the cinnamon isn't in the notes but you can smell it from the minute one to the last minutes on your skin!
    A great quality fragrance and definitely unisex.
    Projection is OK (not that strong) but longevity is good. around 6-7 hours on my skin and that's OK for me.

07 February, 2014

Colin Maillard's avatar

Chergui opens with a superb powdery-fruity balsamic and resinous accord on a beautiful base comprising sandalwood and tobacco notes. The Lutensian "syrupiness" is toned down by the powdery notes of violet/orris, the woody notes, and a subtle mossy/earthy vibe of hay and the "humid side" of tobacco. A sophisticated Oriental opulence, quite understated and not as "rich" as other Lutens' scents. As minutes pass it slowly dries turning into an orris-sandalwood accord with cinnamon, balsamic-ambery-benzoin notes, and an utterly elegant tobacco base, so dense and humid it almost smells like leather. A really refined scent, more simple and dry than other Lutens. The evolution is equally great and pleasant, and it slowly goes from Oriental to Mediterranean, as the mossy-earthy "pine forest" accord comes in blending with the Oriental bouquet of flowers and resins. All beautifully surrounded and supported by tobacco. Distinctive but "wearable" and versatile, refined and just gorgeous to smell from the beginning to the end, slightly more feminine and resinous than what it may look from the composition.

28 January, 2014 (Last Edited: 23 May, 2014)

Add your review of Chergui