Chergui (2001)

HouseSerge Lutens
PerfumerChristopher Sheldrake
Parent CompanyShiseido

About Chergui

Chergui is a shared / unisex perfume by Serge Lutens. The scent was launched in 2001 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Christopher Sheldrake

Chergui fragrance notes

Reviews of Chergui

Chergui is certainly the Serge Lutens fragrance that I see mentioned the most, and as a fan of sweet tobacco fragrances, it was the first I wanted to try. I'm not disappointed, but intrigued but its depth.

I get far more spicy than tobacco in the opening, the sweetness being obvious but certainly more subdued than other leading "sweet tobacco" niche favorites (Tobacco Vanille, Herod, Back to Black). The dry down is balanced between honey and tobacco, though I'm reasonably sure there are other spicy aspects to this, and not just the incense listed in the notes breakdown. Clove perhaps? I'm not sure.

Decent to strong on projection, and certainly the type of fragrance that cuts through cold weather effectively (it's pungent but not a projection beast, if that makes sense), Chergui is an obvious cold weather option---I can't see this being the type of tobacco fragrance that transitions well to summer.

Deep and spicy, full of both tobacco and, to some extent, sweet honey, Chergui is certainly a great option at its price (in the $55ish range for 50ml on FragranceNet), and its fifteenth year, has observably been a niche mainstay, given the press it gets. For me, it's another option, an interesting alternative to most sweet tobacco fragrance that I own and have sampled.

7 out of 10
20th December, 2015
Iris, iris, iris, hay, tobacco, and honey. I didn't it at first because it smelled too powdery--almost like a mature woman in a stuffy outfit. After the top notes die down a bit, the thick powdery sweetness is quite nice. It's great how this perfume doesn't smell conventional, and it may be off-putting to some people at first, but it grows on you. One of the few ambery scents I like. Excellent sillage and longevity.
09th December, 2015
Starts with a very brief, intensely sweet note. Quickly reveals a rich tobacco leaf and hay chord. The florals (first rose, later iris) are certainly evident.
One blog I read said that it suggested not a dry desert wind but the warm atmosphere of a Victorian gentleman's club. I agree. Tobacco, leathery chairs, and furniture polished by rosewood oil. A very masculine scent. Though once in a while I detect some delicious freshly baked sugar cookies on the sideboard.
Cool and warm as various notes alternate. The resin and incense notes persist. At times the incense suggests oud, but perhaps this is the ghostly iris note. No, I am convinced there is oud here.
Touch of honey but not sweet. Leathery, smoky dry-down.
A very complex scent! A dignified Oriental. I'm not big on Orientals, and this is still little sweeter than I like. But it is an excellent scent.
And worth revisiting.
06th December, 2015
I hate to say this, but after all the good reviews I have read about Chergui, i thought I am going to love it. This was my first sniff of Serge Lutens, and i hated it!

It smells cheaply sweet and a bit too creamy. This might as well be the house's DNA. But I really did not enjoy it, i tried to like it. However after giving my sample many tries i concluded that this smell is just not for me.

It simply reminds me of the cheap oil mixtures you get from local markets around the middle east. Nothing beyond that IMO.

Oh well, i got a lot more to try from the house of Serge Lutens.

20th September, 2015
It really took me a while to like Chergui. People kept recommending it, and I just wouldn't go back to it, as I found it overly feminine. But, I felt the same way about Dior Homme Intense, and now I love it. I think the note in question is iris.. it can either go the route of smelling more like woods, or it can go the route of smelling more like makeup, and here, it goes the makeup route, as it does in DHI. I saw a bottle of this on fragnet for 60 shipped, and I figured ehh why not.. if I dislike it again, I'll sell or swap it easily, since everyone else loves it. Man did this stuff grow on me. Now.. it's easily one of my favorite niche fragrances.

From the top, I get a ton of iris.. and yes the powdery feminine makeup type, but it does so well with honey, amber, and hay, the other main notes I really pick up on. Overtime all of the notes sort of intertwined into one big iris/sweet/woodsy accord, and remains this way for a good 8 hours on me. Projection, is perfect, not too much, not a skin scent. Longevity, great. Quality, outstanding. No cheap alcohol smell anywhere in this.

I also love the simplicity yet elegance of the Serge Lutens bottles. I plan on getting more from this house, as I have tried quite a few and loved them. Chergui is certainly the centerpiece for Serge Lutens, a must have for any connoisseur.
12th September, 2015
Salutation.

CHERGUI is intoxicating and summons your inner passion for love life and intimacy.i would say mysterious because several persons I've talked to can not figure out the notes just smelling it. This is such an awesome oriental scent.it is heavy but such a lovely scent.

Spicy,Strong,Seductive,Sweet,Warm, Gorgeous,Expensive and Rich.strong,spicy and masculine opening but a base of Musk,Amber and sandalwood are Feminine and Immensely Sensual.this is absolutely warm and cozy fragrance,something you want to snuggle into on a cold evening like a big,fluffy cable-knit sweater.

CHERGUI is not for those who prefer soft and inoffensive scent.It is suitable for a Night out on the town.totally if you want to stand out in a crowd by your scent,this is the fragrance to wear.definitely for WINTER.

Sillage?Ok.

Longevity?Good on my skin.

7.5/10
01st June, 2015

Add your review of Chergui

Shop for Chergui products online

Shop for Chergui at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Chergui