Chergui (2001)

HouseSerge Lutens
PerfumerChristopher Sheldrake
Parent CompanyShiseido

About Chergui

Chergui is a shared / unisex perfume by Serge Lutens. The scent was launched in 2001 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Christopher Sheldrake

Chergui fragrance notes

Reviews of Chergui

This is a pretty good sweet, powdery and somewhat masculine fragrance. If you've ever smelled Fleur du Male from JpG, then you've essentially smelled this one as well. The notes are different in each, but they smell alike after drying down.

Projection: 7
Longevity: 7
Overall: 8
04th July, 2016
Like most fragrances I hated this on the blotter but on the skin it's another story entirely. As a woman I feel it is slightly on the feminine side of unisex. I can see ow this fragrance could be quite divisive as it's very heavy and rich, not the most wearable and definitely more winter appropriate. It would be a great Christmas scent as it is warm and spicy with a hint of sweetness. On me it smells like warm woody amber-y incense, like a Cathedral or a Catholic church in winter, which I love. Fantastic silage and projection, lasts and lasts, powerful stuff!

08th June, 2016 (last edited: 14th June, 2016)
poor performer and overrated!
26th April, 2016
As a matter of personal preference, I do not quite like Chergui, but I understand its popularity, a sweet and sour wood fragrance.

Update: I have changed my rating from neutral to positive. Wearing a heavy dose and having it last all day won me over.
28th February, 2016 (last edited: 20th May, 2016)
A scrubber.
Too sweet and too tobacco-y.
And given the hype this was a bigger disappointment.
Get Herod or Varvatos Vintage instead if you want tobacco.
25th February, 2016
Chergui is certainly the Serge Lutens fragrance that I see mentioned the most, and as a fan of sweet tobacco fragrances, it was the first I wanted to try. I'm not disappointed, but intrigued but its depth.

I get far more spicy than tobacco in the opening, the sweetness being obvious but certainly more subdued than other leading "sweet tobacco" niche favorites (Tobacco Vanille, Herod, Back to Black). The dry down is balanced between honey and tobacco, though I'm reasonably sure there are other spicy aspects to this, and not just the incense listed in the notes breakdown. Clove perhaps? I'm not sure.

Decent to strong on projection, and certainly the type of fragrance that cuts through cold weather effectively (it's pungent but not a projection beast, if that makes sense), Chergui is an obvious cold weather option---I can't see this being the type of tobacco fragrance that transitions well to summer.

Deep and spicy, full of both tobacco and, to some extent, sweet honey, Chergui is certainly a great option at its price (in the $55ish range for 50ml on FragranceNet), and its fifteenth year, has observably been a niche mainstay, given the press it gets. For me, it's another option, an interesting alternative to most sweet tobacco fragrance that I own and have sampled.

7 out of 10
20th December, 2015

Add your review of Chergui

Shop for Chergui products online

Shop for Chergui at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Chergui