Vétiver Extraordinaire (2002)

PerfumerDominique Ropion
PackagingFrederic Malle
Parent CompanyEstee Lauder Companies

About Vétiver Extraordinaire

Vétiver Extraordinaire is a masculine fragrance by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle. The scent was launched in 2002 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Dominique Ropion. The bottle was designed by Frederic Malle

Vétiver Extraordinaire fragrance notes

Reviews of Vétiver Extraordinaire

The "Real" Vetiver...

Let me start off first of all by saying that I am a huge fan of vetiver in all forms, and a huge fan of vetiver based fragrances. I find this one very authentic and extremely well made.

The fragrance starts out with a hit of smoky, earthy vetiver and some citrus. I get the cloves and some dark spices (including black pepper) and it really brings out the "dark" aspects of the vetiver root. It is said that perfumer Dominique Ropion, who has done amazing stuff for the Frederic Malle line, used about 25% vetiver absolute when composing this. This makes it the highest concentration of vetiver in a perfume currently available on the market. As a fan of vetiver, this alone made me want to try it.

I am also a huge fan of Guerlain Vetiver, but this one is slightly different. Where that one was a balance between vetiver and citrus (ie lemon), this one is a very dark, earthy, rooty type. It showcases the whole root of the plant, almost as it the earth is still clinging to it. I also compare this one to Lalique Encre Noir, but there are noticable differences. Although they are similar in "feeling" or "tone", the Lalique is sweeter, and less natural. This one is greener and earthier all the way.

Vetiver Extraordinaire hits you with a strong blast of vetiver root and says "here, deal with it". You have no choice but to accept this in-your-face type of vetiver.

As for me, I would consider purchasing, but only because I am a die hard vetiver fan. This one I think is a vetiver fan's vetiver, there is no compromise. But I must admit that if you are concerned about cost and versatility then there are other options, the Guerlain, Tom Ford version and the Lalique are all great choices, so don't feel under pressure to get this. But if you want it done right, then try this out. My only drawback is that it doesn't last the whole length of my day, even though the concentration is high. Still for now, I would only buy this if I had the money to spend on it. Otherwise I can still stick with what I already know.
17th September, 2015
A fragrance that I associate with smell of fresh cut grass. A little spicy in the beginning (cloves and pepper) under a bed of green and grassy vetiver. I am getting some nuances of bitter orange after the initial blast. At this point it smells a little minty and very fresh. After about 30 minutes, the blend settles to a green and bitter, slightly mentholated vetiver. The fragrance is slow to transform and in the dry down, VE meets a slight warmer woodier side.
I was expecting to be blown away, to have a new vetiver reference, but it wasn't the case. Actually I have grown to like it quite a bit since my first wearing , but it's not extraordinary. The reason might be that I prefer the rootier and heavier vetivers. This one is too green, grassy, clean and subtle, but with an undeniable blend quality. I am being overly critic, but it's a very solid scent.
09th September, 2015
Vetiver root has been used in perfumery since day one, but the eponymous masculine Vetivers fixate on it with a particular reverence. Vetiver isn’t simply the masculine equivalent of the feminine white floral. It’s become a ceremonial totem of male toiletry, ranking with the fougère as a masculine olfactory reference. In the late 1950s and early 1960s, the Big Three (Carven, Guerlain, Givenchy) boosted vetiver from a fixative and a basenote material to the center of the discussion.

The Maculine Vetiver became safe harbor in the 1960s-1970s when the underpinnings of masculinity were up for discussion. More vetiver fragrances than you can shake a stick at followed. Some kept close to the scent of the vetiver root itself (eg. Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier Route du Vetiver, Etro Vetiver, Lalique Encre Noire) while others strayed a bit further, riffing on a particular quality of the root (Annick Goutal Vetiver’s salty iodine, Serge Lutens’s chocolate Vetiver Oriental, ELDO Fat Electrician’s plastic and vinyl.)

Vetiver Extraordinaire falls into the conservative camp of Vetiver perfumes and The Big Three are its specific predecessors. All four are sweeping, classical perfumes that balance broad splashes and nuanced choices. Malle and Ropion are too well-versed in composition and history not to have understood the importance of the Big Three, but they chose to rival them rather than to imitate them. Malle also takes advantage of the of the fetishism surrounding the material, and fumies dutifully cite the 25% of vetiver oil used in the composition.

Ropion’s approach is to take vetiver to finishing school. After the dazzling citrus punch of the first sniff, he employs a swirling floral topnote to accentuate vetiver’s inherent thumping bass range. The liveliness of the topenotes have hints of lipstick and makeup and Vetiver Extraordinaire barely skirts the scandalous 'Old Lady Perfume' territory. The topnotes are ‘perfumey’ and remind me that Ropion known for his over-the-top perfumey feminine florals (Givenchy Amarige and Ysatis, Malle’s own Carnal Flower). Vetiver Extraordinaire eventually settles into a more traditionally masculine woody range, albeit with a dandy flourish.

Vetiver Extraordinaire captures the sensibility of the Frédéric Malle line perfectly. It is a superlative contemporary spin on a traditional form. Though not nearly as ubiquitous, Vetiver Extraordinaire rivals Guerlain Vetiver as the standard-bearer of the genre among vetiver enthusiasts.

from scenthurdle.com
17th May, 2015
I find Vetiver Extraordinaire to be good, but nothing extraordinary. It opens up on the skin as a bright fresh fragrance; but not too fresh such as Creed or Tom Ford. The vetiver note in question is clean and bright; not smoky or earthy. The pink pepper accentuates the fresh quality with a shimmering effect; it is almost glowing. The fragrance projects moderately and dries down to a soft base of woods with hints of musk and resin.

My biggest disappointment was in the fact that this just seemed to sit on the skin and was very soft. The performance was sorely lacking. I don't know if it's the fragrance- I'm assuming it is my own skin chemistry.

I'd recommend people to try this one out, and watch out for the performance. I'm sticking with Creed and Tom Ford.
11th April, 2015
repose Show all reviews
Extraordinarily disappointed with this vetiver. Many of the Malle's I've tried seem to possess these unpalatable melange of notes, with one (or two, or three, or four...) notes always "off" and this one is no exception.

No need to really describe transitions as others have already done so, and it's mostly vetiver, but I find either the pink pepper (which I usually like), cloves, or musk in complete disharmony with its eponymous note. It comes across as anything but refreshing, almost rancidly sour, in fact, like smelling something that's turned...

Every time I wear this one I hope to find something I missed or to have it open up differently, but each time I'm left with the same reaction.
01st April, 2015 (last edited: 02nd April, 2015)
The refreshing opening is realistic orange with vetiver. Very nice. As the pepper and cloves enter into the picture the overall effect makes the fragrance greener. The sandalwood, cedar, oakmoss, incense and musk seem to apportion themselves without taking over completely making the wood more tangy than heavy. This is easily one of the best vetivers. For the price Guerlain vetiver is a better overall deal but if you can afford it then I recommend this vetiver.
23rd November, 2014

Add your review of Vétiver Extraordinaire

Shop for Vétiver Extraordinaire products online

Search Amazon for Vétiver Extraordinaire

Member images of Vétiver Extraordinaire

There are no member images of Vétiver Extraordinaire yet. Why not be the first?

Features relating to Vétiver Extraordinaire