Vétiver Extraordinaire (2002)

SupplierIFF
PackagingFrederic Malle
Parent CompanyEstee Lauder Companies

About Vétiver Extraordinaire

Vétiver Extraordinaire is a masculine fragrance by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle. The scent was launched in 2002 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Dominique Ropion. The bottle was designed by Frederic Malle

Vétiver Extraordinaire fragrance notes

Reviews of Vétiver Extraordinaire

A good clean, crisp blend of vetiver mixed with sandalwood, orange, and musk, it's a perfect match for rainy days. The blend is professional and spot on and fans of vetiver will love this. Does it warrant such a high price tag though, especially when vetiver grass is such a low cost?
11th June, 2017
Of all the important niche vetiver perfumes, Vétiver Extraordinaire is probably my least favorite.

I do love the smell of vetiver in general - the combination of grassy green, bright lemon, nutmeggy spice, inky undertones, and subtle iodine for depth makes for delicious sniffing. From what I understand, almost all vetiver perfumes use vetiveryl acetate, a derivative of vetiver oil that has all these qualities. Just to be different, Frederick Malle and Dominique Ropion decided to create their own chemical instead, derived from meticulously cleaned vetiver grass, in order to create the "purest" possible vetiver smell. And while I love their audacity and their gamechanging chemistry, I'm afraid I just don't like how it smells.

Somehow, the iodine facet is greatly exaggerated, so there's a very clear metallic twang, like licking a battery or the taste of blood. I find it kind of stomach-churning, actually. The whole thing is searingly sharp, almost surgical. For depth, there's a licorice/geramium element in there, as well as something that smells kind of like toasted bread.

I think this is probably required sniffing if you really want to KNOW vetiver, but I don't really like wearing it. In all, I can't give something this deeply thought out and interesting a full-on thumbs down, even if it makes me kind of sick, so I'll vote neutral.
31st May, 2017
Memories: A pocket of Tasmania, perhaps the botanical gardens there. Energetic and active.

Who should wear this: Andre Agassi. A college sports coach.

Bottom line: Stick with Creed's Original Vetiver instead.
04th March, 2017
Stardate 20170210:

This is a vetiver mixed with cumin, mint and woods. Maybe some other spices.
The vetiver is earthy but the spices throw it off and mint makes it a bit weird.
A little bit unconventional vetiver and not bad if it lasted but not worth more than $40 for what it is

Pass
10th February, 2017 (last edited: 19th June, 2017)
I'm not a huge fan of vetiver, and this one sometimes smells sour and synthetic to me.
10th November, 2016
Super clean and bright vetiver. I get touches of bitter orange peel mingling with the vetiver, hints of pepper and light application of dry cedar in the base peeks through after about an hour. Nothing too sweet, which is nice. Smells very refined and I could see wearing this in casual and formal settings

I only wish the bitter orange were a little bolder. That said, I still love this fragrance and it's one of my new favorites for Spring & Summer.

Projection-moderate
Longevity-I get 6 hours
17th April, 2016

Add your review of Vétiver Extraordinaire

Shop for Vétiver Extraordinaire products online

Search Amazon for Vétiver Extraordinaire

Member images of Vétiver Extraordinaire

There are no member images of Vétiver Extraordinaire yet. Why not be the first?