Scent Intense (2002)

Average Rating: 4

Based on 173 ratings

Scent Intense Fragrance Notes

Scent Intense information

Scent Intense is a unisex fragrance by Costume National. The scent was launched in 2002 and the bottle was designed by Ennio Capasa

Reviews of Scent Intense

Showing 1 to 6 of 42 reviews.

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Oriental

After all the hyperbolic praise heaped upon Scent Intense, I was expecting something controversial and exciting. I imagined a work of blazing originality, something so bold and distinctive that I'd either adore it or despise it. Guess what? It's OK in my book, but just OK, and certainly not some sort of olfactory breakthrough.

Scent Intense goes on as a very sweet, fruity amber. The berry note is very bright and clear in contrast to the rich, dark amber, and the two are almost entirely unblended. I find the resulting accord decidedly synthetic and excessively sweet.

The syrupy opening is very persistent, and it's a solid three or four hours before an exotic floral element (hibiscus, I presume,) distinguishes itself. The floral note is soon followed by some incense and a nicely rendered dry wood, but these are not sufficient to balance out the overwhelming sweetness.

The drydown is amber and woods, still quite sweet and a little bit powdery, and not at all unusual. Yes, there's some incense in Scent Intense, but I still see it as a straightforward ambery oriental, and a rather simple one at that. I'm certainly not going to throw away my Musc Ravageur for this.

02 July, 2014

Colin Maillard's avatar

This fragrance completely got me. I had the same instant "feeling" I had with Cuiron, both the first time I tried it years ago, and when I bought myself a bottle some weeks ago after years of memories. Same "wow" vibe, which reminds me of the difference between loving a scent being totally blown away by it, and just liking it – that's a healthy reminder thanks to which I regularly sell some fragrances I realise I just "like". I thought of Cuiron also for a sort of slight and broad similarity between the two – same era, same "concept", same synthetic approach. I still think Cuiron was and is probably more daring and more "revolutionary", but Scent Intense comes just a tiny step below. Well however, Scent Intense has basically a perfect balance of two winning features: it's done extremely well, and smells terribly good. That kind of good you keep coming back to smell it and run buying a backup bottle. On my skin it's not that dark, though: it opens with a white-luminous, juicy and fruity accord of tea and hibiscus, which has basically a lively and fruity smell too, with a hint of spices (cloves, perhaps), a subtle balsamic vein, and a cozy, mellow, grey-black synthetic amber-woody base (I guess cashmeran, that sort of restrained velvety aromatic base aroma). After a while it also emerges a slight smoky note, and on the drydown, the salty taste of aldehydes gets a prominent role. The result is a nondescript blend which manages to be just a bit dark, dusty, "black" like if a drop of trisamber was used here, but at the same incredibly bright, dense and tasty, with the translucent aspect provided by aldehydes. Utterly sophisticated as well. I must admit it's quite hard to describe the scent, the best I can think of is a tea-amber bone-structure, slightly powdery, surely fruity-floral, with a palpable dose of aldehydes which gives a metallic-salty feeling. All in quite a unique way, let's say "minimalist-avantgarde", with a brilliant, smart and creative use of synthetics: the amber accord is not a classic, dusty, embracing, warm amber, instead it's a sort of black cube of with an ambery fog inside: that's the visual feeling. The smell is somehow that, but it feels restrained and "encapsulated" in an artificial layout. All the scent is actually a sort of geometrical and rather simple structure of synthetic notes, which however manage to smell simply and *terrifically* good, cozy and pleasant. Which is an ultra rare thing: usually such "avantgarde" scents do smell interesting, challenging, smart, fascinating, but in my opinion, they rarely manage to smell at the same time "good" and cozy in a classic, "popular" meaning (as a scent is supposed to smell, in the end: pleasant). For example, I am also a huge fan of Slumberhouse, but I doubt I'll ever get compliments on the subway for Zahd or Vikt – the are unbelievable scents, but they surely don't smell "good"; while instead, Scent Intense is the perfect "good-smelling" scent which may actually get you lots of compliments from "normal people". We are still lucky this unbelievable gem is still on sale, and for quite a decent price. Also, perfect projection (it's one of those scents you can better smell "in the sillage" than on skin) and long persistence. Surely worth a try! To me it was actually worth the blind buy.

13 June, 2014 (Last Edited: 12 October, 2014)

jonnyv's avatar

I can't add anymore to the review by 2nosedtwin.
    This 'scent' is the worst I've ever smelt!
    A blind buy after reading positive reviews.
    Today is my first day of using this fragrance (and last)!
    I can't wait to get home to shower this awful scent
    Off my skin.
    I don't smell amber, no matter how hard I try.

20th May, 2014

2nosedtwin's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Costume National - Scent Intense
    This is clearly a perfume with a schizophrenic personality disorder - it can’t make up its mind on who to behave. It somehow smells like a CdC2, Terre d'Hermes and an Aqua di Gio-on steroids with a touch of Allure p.h, all-in-one, switching from the one to the other, and trying to connect it all with a sort off raw, sweaty-oily cotton tone that fails to bring this perfume home in its vanillin-based dry-out.
    It smells like the end of a road to the beach, meeting the sand of the dunes, on a hot day - where a salty, green seaweedy-breeze meets the smell of congested garbage-bins full off plastic, ice-cream paperwraps, empty soda-cans, half-rotten fruit of apples/oranges and French fries with mayonnaise; for me Scent Intense smells like sticking your head in such a garbage-bin. I bet you attract a lot of wasps when you wear this one - they are probably the only living creatures on this planet who like it... Good job.

17 May, 2014

Tony T's avatar

Strange scent..Starts off an earthy overload of patchouli with slight hints of jasmine..
    Projection and longevity are great.. Almost a darkness appears after an hour or so and then a mild musky amber.. Patch is still their but not as overwhelming.. Very unique even though it's a toughie to wear..

05 February, 2014

aphexacid's avatar

Serbia Serbia

I still can't figure out which way to go on this one. I really wasn't expecting this to smell like it did based on the reviews i saw. I blind bought it a long time ago.

It smelled almost identical in most ways to Versace Man. Which happens to be one of my favorites in the designer category.

However, the opening has much more of a boozy blast. And then calms down into jasmine ambery vibe.

I can't get into it as much as Versace Man. Versace just has some more components that make it a little more complex and interesting. Versace also has a nice tobacco note that takes away a bit of the sometimes cloying sweetness in the composition of Scent Intense.

Scent Intense is an EDP, so the projection isn't great. Versace Man has excellent projection.

Scent Intense has pretty decent longevity, around 8 hours or so. But compared to Versace Man, which is actually better in that department, and is an EDT!

Overall, if you like the overall idea or direction of this type scent, you'd be doing yourself a disservice to choose Scent Intense over Versace Man. VM smells almost the same, is more interesting, long lasting and will get its scent into the noses of more people around you. AND its cheaper!

10th March, 2013

Add your review of Scent Intense

Search for on eBay United States

Costume National Scent Intense by Costume National Deodorant Spray 3.4 oz Unboxe
    • Time Left: 27 days
    • Time Left: 7 days
    Costume National Scent Intense by Costume National Eau de Parfum Spray 3.4 oz
    • Time Left: 20 days
    (Shipping from United States)
    COSTUME NATIONAL SCENT INTENSE by Costume National DEODORANT SPRAY 3.4 OZ (UNBOX
    • Listing Type: eBay Store