Mediterraneum (1993)

Year of Launch1993

Parent CompanyEuroitalia
Parent Company at launchGiver Profumi

About Mediterraneum

Created for and promoted by Fabio Lanzoni, an Italian model / actor.

Reviews of Mediterraneum

To my knowledge this is not a Versace product. I bought this and couldn't have been more disappointed. Very heavy opening and it stays that way.
26th July, 2016
rbaker Show all reviews
This opening blast is very well done; a mix of bergamot, orange and tarragon with an aldehydic undercurrent that holds them together very nicely. This is not a full-in-your-face opening blast; it is a tad muted but nonetheless a lovely summery mix of top notes.

The drydown continues the traditional pathway with the emergence a moderately sweet vanilla and never really moves into the foreground on my skin, and is complemented by the addition of a pleasant jasmine. This is mingled with a floral mélange of geranium band carnation, and this floral character defines the heart notes well.

Already gradually developing in the middle phase, woody and ambery styrax notes move into the fore in the base, and entail a shift into the darker and edgier sphere, underlines by a darker but not-too-harsh patchouli impression. At that stage it starts losing intensity and richness, and the base peters out slowly. Nonetheless, this base shift towards the darker region makes this an overall more somber creation; a characteristic it shares with Versus.

I get moderate sillage, very good projection and seven hours of longevity on my skin.

Very nice on cooler summer days, and composed of high-quality ingredients without ever being too generic. 3.5/5.
15th June, 2016
Back when I was a naïf before discovering Basenotes, this was my signature fragrance. I absolutely loved it and wore it nearly every day for a few years. As I discovered frags for real, I came to see this as an embarrassment and abandoned it. Recently, however, I suffered a twinge of nostalgia and picked up an inexpensive copy on eBay. After testing for a couple of weeks, I've come to a new view about this fragrance.

Med opens with lots of orange, rich, sweet, juicy oranges that are done really convincingly. There are floral notes in the background and they quickly overwhelm the orange with aldehydes. The notes just speed through with this fragrance, in moments, even the floral notes are gone, replaced by woodsy notes and very nice geranium.

This fragrance is sweet, not in the sense of a gourmand, but sweet nonetheless, there are no dry or bitter notes to speak of. Even the woods are done sweetly. Despite this, I don't find it cloying. It's not an overwhelming sweetness, but, the notes are not balanced by anything to counter the sweetness. In a way, this is not a very challenging fragrance, perhaps this was what attracted me as a beginner.

The sweetness starts to dial down with the addition of rose and ferns, but the vanilla base appears at about the same time, somewhat blunting what could have been a neat transition. As it continues into the base notes, sandalwood appears and it looks like it's going to end up as a typical comfort fragrance, a warm, sweet mixture of vanilla, sandalwood, amber, and patchouli. It's heading straight for thumbs middle territory.

Then something happens to change all that. The frag suddenly starts turning green and much dirtier. Styrax and benzoin make their appearance along with what smells to me like a dirty musk, though the note is not listed. The sweetness is not gone, and the two sides move back and forth in terms of prominence as the scent continues to dry down. The animalic qualities of the frag make it far sexier than its early notes would suggest. Suddenly, the scent goes from merely comfortable too interesting, and a bit daring and dangerous. The dry down offers a delicate balance between sweet and dirty that I find really charming and compelling.

While I remembered the oranges and the sweetness of the opening, I didn't remember this surprise ending from my earlier wearings, perhaps reflecting my general cluelessness at the time. Old me bought it for the sweetness, present me will continue to wear it from time to time, not out of nostalgia, but for the nifty dry down. Thumbs up.
11th January, 2015
Smells like a light version of Le Male mixed with some bright citrus when you first spray it on. After about 15 minutes, pleasant spices start to develop. This has good projection. I smell the spices from a distance, light Le Male when I put put my nose close. Lasted about 3 hours on me before it faded down. I can see myself wearing this from time to time.
04th August, 2011
Swanky Show all reviews
The amount of follow-the-leader played by the designer fragrance market is disconcerting. At the time, Mediterraneum seemed like a Minotaure ripoff with its featured note of sweet orange. A decade-and-a-half later and this looks like more of an individual compared to the current landscape.

I'm not especially fond of the opening of Med, nor of the orange-heavy center section. Where Mediterraneum shines is in the drydown. Like a well-crafted story that seems a bit scattered until the final sentence ties it all together - the drydown presages, by three years, the drydown of Opium Pour Homme.

I could go with a neutral thumb, but for the cheap price and the solid longevity and nice drydown, I'll give this the benefit of the not quite reluctant thumbs-up.
04th February, 2011
I wanted to say that Mediterraneum isn't a good name for this fragrance, but then I remembered that I've never left the US and perhaps it is a good name. It's great stuff, regardless of whether or not the name is appropriate. Every description here is accurate. This is a big, sweet, spicy orange. There is also some patchouli and light woods underneath, and although the patchouli doesn't seem that noticeable, it really is steering the ship. It's what causes this fragrance to stay out of the "light," so to speak.

So as fantastic as this is, there really is another question at stake here. Due to the fact that this is discontinued, is it worth seeking out and becoming attached? Is it worth the risk of getting a watered down bottle from a scammer on an auction site?

I don't know yet, but I have a listing in my favorites.
10th October, 2010

Add your review of Mediterraneum

Shop for Mediterraneum products online

Search Amazon for Mediterraneum

Member images of Mediterraneum

There are no member images of Mediterraneum yet. Why not be the first?