Eau de Santal (2002)

Eau de Santal information

Year of Launch2002

HouseFloris

About Eau de Santal

Eau de Santal is a masculine fragrance by Floris. The scent was launched in 2002

Eau de Santal fragrance notes

Reviews of Eau de Santal

Here is my review of Floris Eau de Santal that I had obtained as a free sample recently:

A really nice opening with gentle bergamot locking arms with cloves, cardamom, and subtle pepper. Lavender soon creeps in and holds sway over all of these notes, and my mind starts to wrack away as to which fragrances I'd experienced in the past that smell like THIS?!

As the crinkly Rolodex spins wildly in my mind, I behold a smooth patchouli emerge with its lovely herb-like powderiness. I then ask myself, which other scents have resembled this classy, powdery oriental?

Ahh, yes...Jaipur pour Homme by Boucheron! Of course.

This scent is dialed down many levels from the intensity of Boucheron. Yet, it ends up like a delicate, spicy powdery oriental that is right up my alley. It is a great daily scent fit for the office or even just casually.

Oh, one more thing: Where's the sandalwood?!

I checked another popular fragrance site, and I obtained this list of notes:

Top - bergamot, amalfi lemon, grass, pepper, cardamom
Heart - clove, lavender, nutmeg
Base - amber, Virginia cedar, olibanum, musk, vetiver, vanilla, *SANDALWOOD* [emphasis mine]

SO there's nutmeg, cedar, musk, vetiver, and SANDALWOOD here as well. Makes sense, and it explains the nooks and crannies of other notes I'd detected but couldn't put my finger on.

Smooth, very wearable, safe in terms of projection.
04th December, 2018
Floris Eau de Santal is a serviceable or everyday office fragrance, but not a true Santal or sandalwood fragrance IMO. Sandalwood isn't listed as a note, but the overall scent slightly conjures a sandalwood scent. The main them is a clove and vanilla, with the woody base supporting underneath. It gives the impression one would get from sandalwood, but since sandalwood is a difficult note to sustain, it works as well without it.

EdS is very soft in sillage and projection and doesn't last more than 3hrs with an additional hour of skin scent, which would keep me from purchasing it. A good scent none the less, but nothing more than Neutral from me.
06th December, 2015
Eau de Santal is the shy, more educated and sophisticated older brother of Gucci Envy.
While Eau de Santal is reading a book in his Oxford study room (Lady Chatterley's Lover, for science), his little more extravert brother is taking a ride in the woods with his dog, after his work as a gardener.
It almost reminds me as the less velvety, less sweet version of Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme.
It is very rounded, smooth, not much sillage, nice drydown.
I get smooth lavender, spices, vanilla, all very smooth, not strong, but delicate and natural.
It can be used in every situation, it is so rounded, fresh, sophisticated.
I wish it was stronger. It can be a signature scent, it's made of good ingredients by the old house of Floris.
I bought it straight from their internet shop, came in a nice wrapped, ribboned package, and a nice sample.
Though, for 99 Euro, I will not buy again, it's just too quiet, nice for me.
I like it more loud.
projection: 7 (out of 10)
longevity: 8/9
overall: 8
01st July, 2015
jcw122 Show all reviews
Reminds me of LIDG

The first time I tried EDS I was underwhelmed, but after trying it again I am pretty impressed. It smells great, kind of reminds me of summer evenings getting ready for an exciting night...like that calm before the storm. It actually reminds me of LIDG without the lipstick note.

Smells: Soft, flowery, powdery, yet with an undertone of aggression. I can't really describe the notes beyond the powdery sweetness.

Unfortunately, I don't think it's something that I would like to wear, nor is it something I'd like to smell on a woman, unless it is a much more mature or older woman.

Pros: Soft and subtle
Cons: Lacks sillage"

09th July, 2013
Marais Show all reviews
Spicy vanilla

A smooth, lightly-spiced vanilla. Unlike many vanilla-dominant scents it isn't heavy, cloying, nor too sweet for non-teenagers. I don't know where the name 'Santal' comes from, I can't detect any. As others have noted, there's a resemblance to Gucci Envy for Men but Envy is much denser and Santal lacks amber and ginger. A heavily-diluted Jaipur Homme might be nearer the mark. Dubious comparisons aside, it's a versatile, office-safe, affable oriental, light enough to wear year round, with appropriate dosing. Longevity is good but sillage is low. I get 8 subdued hours from 5 sprays. P.S. this layers well with the inexpensive Crabtree and Evelyn Sandalwood, which amplifies the spice notes.

Pros: Versatile, good longevity
Cons: No sandalwood

23rd May, 2013
Too masculine for me to wear, but I love this on my boyfriend: a classic pairing of vanilla and lavender, a male version of Patou's classic feminine, Moment Supreme.
01st October, 2012

Floris Santal EDT Eau De Toilette Spray 100ml/3.4oz Mens Cologne

End Date: Thursday Dec-27-2018 19:50:18 PST
Buy It Now for only: $89.65

Member images of Eau de Santal

There are no member images of Eau de Santal yet. Why not be the first?