Ambra (1989)

About Ambra

Ambra is a shared / unisex perfume by Etro. The scent was launched in 1989

Ambra fragrance notes

Reviews of Ambra

Ambra by Etro, especially in its vintage EDC concentration (paisley box) is another “golden era” Etro worth a try (which of them isn’t?). An austere, evocative and quintessential amber, dusty and elegant, really simple and spartan with a lively and kind of exotic feel of “hippie shop” (due to its simplicity), and a clever, much pleasant subtle citrus-floral breeze that - for a while at the opening - add a sweet-fresh touch to the dusty, golden, warm heart of the amber accord. Besides being rather “simple”, Ambra is also quite dry and dark, with the peculiar and quite unique exoticism of many of the best Etro’s: a sort of mystical austerity with a nostalgic touch, scented with echoes of church incense and aged woods, especially on the (fantastic) drydown. This dusty and sort of “antique” nostalgic feel is reinforced by a vaguely musky-earthy note which I can’t identify precisely, perhaps is just more of a general feel, but it is quite a peculiar and memorable feature of this scent (and other Etro’s actually). Really pleasant to wear for sure: as many amber-based scents it is undoubtedly cozy, warm and effortlessly refined, unpretentious and totally un-challenging, but classy and distinctive in its elegant and warm sophistication. Surely more fascinating than others, if you ask me, even if not that creative - but with such a straightforward name, you wouldn't expect that. Sadly it does not last that long, at least in its vintage EDC concentration, but as long as it lasts it remains rich and vibrant, and quite worth the wear. A (perhaps underrated) must for all amber lovers.

7,5-8/10
30th December, 2014
Smooth, vanillic, golden; this is my holy grail amber. I searched through countless ambers and found it. I have an old, vintage bottle which is very intense and superb. Just beautiful.
29th March, 2014
JDBIII Show all reviews
This is a very odd beast. I like it quite a bit and have worn it often, but it is a rubbery amber, almost as if the resins and gums have been cooked a bit. Don't get me wrong, it's still sweet and rich, but it is also a little playful. The drydown is fairly linear but very warm and comforting, not exotic in the least. I would recommend this for evening wear. It's a bit too rich for the office.
07th February, 2010
Kchild Show all reviews
I love Amber in all sorts of interpretations but this is my favorite by far. I love it's simplicity. I love that it's soft and still androgynous.It layers beautifully and I am one of THOSE people~always layering. I can wear it alone and not feel as if I'm missing something as well. It's light w/out being powdery~which is a nice trick. I have found that to be the exception and not the rule. Did I mention that this is my favorite?
25th March, 2009
Not such a bad amber; however, I wouldn't buy a bottle on the basis of "not bad." Yes, there's something ambery going on here, but something offsets its potential ambery goodness. I may be the odd one out, but I get more of a "custard" or "creme caramel" impression, with amber popping its head up here and there and there and here, without ever actually planting a flag. I would redirect amber-seekers to L'Artisan's Ambre Extreme--one of the nicest ambers I've yet sniffed. Etro's Ambra is nice enough in its opening, but quickly putters out into something less pleasant. (I should end this review now, since every passing minute increases the "meh..." on my skin. The skin of others may be less persnickety, though.)

26th June, 2007 (last edited: 23rd October, 2007)
There is a rather strange sour note in the opening that combines with the otherwise pleasant citrus/ coriander / patchouli. This note runs through the entire progression of the fragrance. It ruins the scent for me, not that the remainder of the scent is anything special. This sour note is not exactly revolting or anything like that, it is discordant—out of place. Besides this disagreeable note, the basic fragrance is rather ordinary. Etro Ambra has good longevity.
09th December, 2006

Add your review of Ambra

Shop for Ambra products online

Shop for Ambra at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Ambra

Member images of Ambra

There are no member images of Ambra yet. Why not be the first?