Eau de Campagne (1974)

Year of Launch1974

HouseSisley
PerfumerJean-Claude Ellena

About Eau de Campagne

Eau de Campagne is a shared / unisex perfume by Sisley. The scent was launched in 1974 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Jean-Claude Ellena

Reviews of Eau de Campagne

In The Forest Of Fontainebleau Carry by Pierre Auguste Renoir
10th June, 2018
I tried this years ago and while I couldn't afford it, I liked it. I tried it again today. Although I can now afford it and the opening is as compelling as I remember it, the dry down is certainly not my favorite. EdC is decent in silage and longevity and quite an interesting green composition. But after extensive sniffing I have realized that oakmoss gives me a kind of headache. Mossy is true for EdC's dry down and therefore I regret to say this classic is not for me. But all considered this is remarkably classic and relevant. If you like green do try EdC.
04th May, 2018
BLUF: A fantastic, uplifting, sharp, absolutely rock-solid green fragrance. Effortlessly unisex. I am surprised there isn't more talk about this one. *Review based on most current formulation.

From what I understand, this is Jean Claude Ellena's first commercial release. It is very, very nice. A refreshing light green scent with a sparkling lemon note in the opening. Seems like it would only get better on a hot day. Soapy fresh, mossy/grassy, herbal, and natural smelling bitter green notes with some vetiver showing up later on.

I can't help but wonder if this partially inspired Christopher Street by Charenton Macerations. This came out in 1974 and Christopher Street smells like it came out in 2074. It's like Eau de Campagne from the future. A surrealist version, if you will.

The vegetal notes in this are quite realistic, so bright and clean that I'd considering carrying some around with me, in the event I find myself in a shitty mood. Perhaps this could take the place of those "sun lamps" for people who get bummed out by Winter gloom. For me, this is a good mood in a bottle.

I would consider getting rid of a half-dozen other fragrances and replacing them with this. Only drawback is longevity, but I don't really expect anything in this genre to last all day on my skin. Easy thumbs-up for me.
09th August, 2016
The first fragrance by J-C Ellena? It is also one of his best, at least for me. I really enjoy the herbal-green-freshness since it suits me perfectly here in the hot, humid climate. It is not very long-lasting, but what is here in the tropics where scents are beaten into submission. Just keep on spraying is a perfectly fine solution.

Completely unisex and a keeper.
13th February, 2015
Genre: Green

Eau de Campagne is perhaps the most uncompromising green scent I’ve worn. It’s also one of the finest. It displays all of the elements that characterize Jean-Claude Elléna’s best work – clean lines, concision, focus, and clarity – without the stinginess, the anorexic pallor, or the penchant for self-repetition he demonstrates when working below his potential. Unlike say, Cologne Bigarade or Terre d’Hermès, it does not smell like something cobbled together from the leftovers of Déclaration. Nor does it follow the overused pseudo-cedar + tomato leaf + froot du jour formula of the Hermès “Jardin” series. For me Eau de Campagne stands with Déclaration, Globe, and Bois d’Iris as one of the most original and appealing of Elléna’s compositions.

In Eau de Campagne Elléna gathers some of the most bitter, sharp, and refreshing green notes, including galbanum, tomato leaf, and basil, spikes them with a very tart lemon, and highlights their herbaceous character with a deeply aromatic geranium leaf. All of this rests upon a bone-dry, chypre-like vetiver and moss foundation, with a resolutely green jasmine as the only remotely sweet element in the entire composition. With so much that is green, herbaceous, and citric in its composition, it will come as no surprise that Eau de Campagne’s middle notes are neither very potent nor enduring. On the other hand, the nutty, spicy, and ever-so-slightly smoky vetiver-based drydown that arrives after about two hours is as hauntingly beautiful an effect as you’re likely to find in modern perfumery.

Like the equally bitter Campari, Eau de Campagne will strike some as pleasantly astringent, and many as unpalatable. Too bad for the many. For lovers of foliar fragrances, Eau de Campagne belongs next to Chanel’s Bel Respiro, Aramis Devin, and Diptyque’s late, lamented Virgilio in the pantheon of green scents.
08th June, 2014
I remember when I first discovered Eau de Campagne as if it were yesterday, though it was likely over 10 years ago. I had been dutifully trying out various designer ‘masculines’ in a shop and having a ‘Is it just me?’ moment, because they all seemed to be blurring into one another. Then the sales assistant picked up a bottle that looked as if it had been designed by the owner of one’s neighbourhood pizzeria and handed me a sprayed card. Oh yes, this was IT! There was no way I was walking out that shop without it. It was singular in a way the others weren’t and – despite my coming to it decades after its creation – free from cliché.
Today it is the perfume I have gone through the most bottles of. I love what it does to me, I love it despite its shortcomings.
There are times when I have been walking in untamed meadows overrun with an abundance of vegetation that the urge to somehow merge into this setting, be wild and natural, a scuttling, slithering thing, comes upon me. Eau de Campagne brings that feeling home.
Its opening salvo of bitter greens – tomato leaves, basil, grasses, glints of mint, and goodness knows what other foliage – makes the lungs expand with pleasure. There are curls of enlivening lemon zest here, a mossy undergrowth keeping things sharp, and a suggestion of flowers hiding under the tall grass. This gorgeous impression remains, though the progression is away from the sap and juice of the opening towards a dryer herbal territory, and several hours later a bit of soapiness and the chemical undergirding becomes a touch more evident. What doesn’t change is the feel of something uncultivated and open – truly a scent of freedom.
It is remarkable that J-C Ellena pulled something so fully formed and with such a marked personality out of the bag right at the start of his perfumer’s career.
One does need to spray liberally, which doesn’t bother me one bit. I think Eau de Campagne is probably the reason I plumped for the name gimmegreen here on Basenotes.
06th November, 2013

SISLEY EAU DE CAMPAGNE EAU DE TOILETTE NATURAL SPRAY 100 ML/3.3 FL.OZ. NIB

End Date: Sunday Oct-21-2018 11:09:38 PDT
Buy It Now for only: $79.50
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

EAU DE CAMPAGNE by Sisley Eau De Toilette Spray 1.6 oz / 50 ml (Men)

End Date: Sunday Oct-21-2018 11:10:14 PDT

perfume hombre EAU DE CAMPAGNE by Sisley Eau De Toilette 1.6 oz 40ml men

End Date: Tuesday Oct-23-2018 0:03:13 PDT
Buy It Now for only: $79.45
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Eau De Campagne By Sisley Eau De Toilette Spray Unisex 100ml/3.3fl.oz.NEW IN BOX

End Date: Tuesday Oct-23-2018 13:53:58 PDT

Eau De Campagne By Sisley For Men. Eau De Toilette Spray 1.6-Ounce

End Date: Thursday Oct-25-2018 9:47:10 PDT
Buy It Now for only: $80.74

Member images of Eau de Campagne

There are no member images of Eau de Campagne yet. Why not be the first?