Version Originale (1984)

Version Originale information

Year of Launch1984

HouseJean-Marc Sinan

About Version Originale

Version Originale is a masculine fragrance by Jean-Marc Sinan. The scent was launched in 1984

Reviews of Version Originale

Got a mini of this 80s forgotten fragrance just to see if It really deserved the high prices on ebay. If 84 was its release date, I'd say Boucheron copied it all the way. Their drydowns are pretty close, both full of a powdery and rich accord, slightly sweet (I see both share some notes as jasmine, carnation and ylang). The main difference is that VO opens super harsh/sour (perhaps Lavender+neroli?), with a citrusy old school smell. I didn't see patchouli listed, but It's as if It was mixed at the top notes. It's a love-hate opening. If you don't like this kind of smell, you have to wait patiently 10 min to let it go. boucheron, on the other way, starts pleasantly lemony and bright and although moves to the powdery level quickly, you can always smell It fighting with the smooth and sweet powder accord. That's why I think VO is powerful than Boucheron, It lacks some refreshing notes and can be a bit cloying. Longevity and sillage are great on my skin. In the same vein, but fresher, I also recommend Van Gils (classic).
To sum it up, if you already have Boucheron, you don't need to pay almost US$ 200 on VO.
24th December, 2014
There are actually two versions of this fragrance. They both come in a black plastic casing but one has polished black metal trim and the other has gold trim. It has been noted that the gold version has a slightly darker coloration and is a little "deeper", but supposedly not a significant difference.

This is a rather green, musky woody/floral. While vintage Gianfranco Ferre for Men is similar, also touching on a rich earthy kind of accord, VO is more potent and floral. It's dark enough to almost impart a mossy character, yet there is no moss in this. There is also a semi-sweet side to it as well, that helps brighten it a bit. Very good sillage and longevity.

The flacon is housed inside a double rhombus shaped plastic casing that one might mistaken for a miniature garbage container. Very odd. One could purchase just the flacon as a "recharger" to swap into the casing.

There always seems to be some of this fragrance up for sale on that auction site, with prices generally up towards $200 per 100ml, but you can at times get it for half that if you wait long enough for a better priced auction to come along. A little patience netted me two of them. Fairly often there are mini bottles available for reasonable prices too.
06th January, 2014 (last edited: 27th April, 2014)
This is a sillage monster. I won't wear it if I'm commuting on the train in the morning. It can easily overwhelm. To me, this smells like Calvin on steroids with potent incense and resins. Dated? For sure. Beautiful and unique? You bet! Someone elses review mentioned an abundance of florals, which I don't get. There is definitely a very salty animalic base to this, and possibly even a touch of aldehyde and rosewood in the heart. Pepper is cranked up in this as well. This is truly a unique and potent piece of fragrance history worth seeking out. It is nearly extinct, so bag this on sight.
10th January, 2012
Having been a fan of the original JMS for Women for many years, I decided this was worth a sampling. I just received a vintage bottle of this courtesy of eBay, an edt tester with natural spray.

Aside from some deteriorated topnotes and a huge whiff of alcohol, due to the bottle's age, this has to be one of the more exemplary men's scents I have tried. It is quite 80s, a rich floral chypre with a masculine twist. The first thing that I noticed was an overripe lemon, then Ylang-Ylang, and lots of it. Luckily, the potential black banana tendency of Y-Y is balanced out very quickly by a classic rose/jasmine heart, accented by spicy carnation. It immediately brought to mind the iconic l'Arte de Gucci, which I enjoy in the edp. This is all wrapped in an incense/resin (maybe the Benjamin I love in Caron's Pour un Femme?) and plopped atop a warm patchouli base. There is also a an animalic salty note which makes this a very sexy scent as well. The drydown is a warm, dry sandalwood. Sillage is outrageous and longevity excellent. The quality of the ingredients is superb, and many are natural, is my guess. The transition from 70s patchouli to this is not so far...

The thing I appreciate most about V.O. is the unabashed use of florals in a masculine. Although V.O. is not particularly mossy, the patchouli allows it *technically* to be classified as a Chypre...although in my mind, it is more of a masculine Floriental. Easily worn by either sex, this is a beautiful scent.

Compare to l'Arte de Gucci, by Gucci Pour un Femme by Caron, Jean Patou 1000, and Boss Spirit by Hugo Boss. Notes per FragranceX are:

".... a mixture of lemon, pepper, lavender, jasmine, rose, carnation, lily of the valley, cedar, tonka, musk, and sandal."

V.O. is discontinued but has not been counterfeited, and can easily be found on eBay and other auction sites. Given the age, though, the potential for a damaged notes must be weighed against the cost of approximately $2/ml.
08th May, 2011
I was lucky enough to get a mini of this on E-Bay. I truly love this stuff!
02nd August, 2010
The fragrance is an obsession for me since the 80's when I started wearing it. A BIG fragrance with killer sillage and a very 80's smell: but I'm sticking with it. So much more THERE than more modern fragrances. A lot of people take a step back when I get close; but they will just have to deal. Once it became unavailable I stopped wearing it and hoarded my last few spritzes but thanks to ebay, I'm swimming in it again!

Another reviewer asked about the notes and since I just got a pristine sampler with a list of notes, here they are for posterity: "Famille: Boisé moderne; Notes de Tête: Absolu lavandin, Géranium bourbon, Mandarine; Notes de Cœur: Essence de poivre. Ylang-Ylang; Notes de Fond: Boisé agreste, Animalisé.

I'd be very curious to hear some comments about this fragrance from more informed folks and would also love to know why this fragrance (and Jean-Marc Sinan himself) seem to have disappeared so completely....
21st December, 2009

Add your review of Version Originale

Shop for Version Originale products online

Search Amazon for Version Originale

Member images of Version Originale

There are no member images of Version Originale yet. Why not be the first?