Dzing! (1999)

HouseL'Artisan Parfumeur
PerfumerOlivia Giacobetti
Parent CompanyPuig Beauty & Fashion Group

About Dzing!

Dzing! is a shared / unisex perfume by L'Artisan Parfumeur. The scent was launched in 1999 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Olivia Giacobetti

Dzing! fragrance notes

Reviews of Dzing!

The Mona Lisa by Leonardo da Vinci
11th September, 2017
Dzing! is a perfume I came to very late. For the longest time, I thought it was a clumsy slamming together of two different perfumes: a fecal Cuir de Russie-type leather on top, a Bvlgari Black rubber-vanilla on the bottom – something that, if you already owned either of those perfumes, was a bit redundant.

But with time, I’ve come to appreciate and even love Dzing! as an animal in its own right. There is an abstraction to Dzing! that isn’t present in either the Chanel or the Bvlgari, a sort of sweet, musky haze that rearranges the furniture of the scent each time, rendering the familiar unfamiliar.

Sometimes Dzing! wears as a sweet, bready musk with a tinge of caramel apples; other times, it smells of saddle soap and soft horse shit. On occasion, I smell the sensual scent of grimy skin trapped under a rubber watch strap, as well as Rich Tea biscuits, soggy cardboard, and Communion wafers.

If books are themselves an amalgamation of complex, abstract aromas and molecules, then Dzing! is just that in scent form. Like a book, Dzing! is predominantly sweet and vanillic (biscuity), but there is the unmistakable whiff of something that reminds you of its ruder animal origins – the fecal smell of just cured leather bindings, perhaps, or the moistly grimy finger imprints of previous readers. Delicious, if you can stand the sheer second-hand intimacy of the smell.

29th August, 2017
I received Dzing! as part a collection of L'Artisan Parfumeur samples. I knew nothing about this fragrance, except that I love Timbuktu and Fou D'Absinthe. Upon spraying, I was immediately hit with "petting zoo on a hot, summer day." It has it all: sweaty barnyard animals, muddy hay, and even a few toddlers running around with dirty diapers. Awful! Wondering if my sample was bad, I read through the reviews and found that many others had the same experience. I decided to stick it out until dry-down and, even though it lightens, it never really smelled good. I enjoy taking my kids to the petting zoo, but I definitely don't want to smell like it.
19th May, 2017
Castoreum and coumarin with a very brief waft of coconut(?!). Hay, honey, cedar, tack room leather, damp sawdust, musk. It reminds me of being 15 years old and having a crush on one of the older boys at the stables where I used to ride. The animalic notes are sweet, supple, and somewhat...*charged*. I've had a very similar experience with this to afartherroom (see below) and I don't feel I can really add anything to his gorgeous description except to say, yup - my nose buried in the fur of a happy cat sunning itself in the stable yard, surrounded by the smell of horses, tack and the crackling expectation of youth.
This is an absolute must-have for me. Love.
14th March, 2017 (last edited: 24th March, 2017)
Dzing! is a weirdo. First, it was presented to me as a feminine gourmand I should try. I think it's gourmand, but only in the beginning, and very masculine. At first spray, I got cinnamon and nutmeg, which I loved, and disappeared soon into musk and leather. You're left (for a long time) with black pepper and leather, and then vanilla and chocolate.

It's not my taste, but it's really well done. It's warm, but doesn't project far.
24th January, 2017 (last edited: 15th September, 2017)
bokaba Show all reviews
Type: Gourmand Leather

Dzing is a gourmand/leather type fragrance. It is a good effort, but the fragrance has little development and is only two-faceted.

First, there is an initial blast of a rather animalic musk/civet/castoreum that sadly has a rather harsh, synthetic edge. This is coupled with cedar, hay, and a gourmand caramel type note that is a bit to "foody" for me.

After about 45 minutes, the animalics wear off leaving only a faint sweet gourmand candy that quickly fades away.

This fragrance was originally called Desir du Cirque I believe (Desire of the Circus?). It supposedly captures the hay, concessions, performers, and animals that are part of the circus. I think it captures this a bit but for the synthetic edge.

Many complain Dzing smells of cardboard, but this a good sign that some amount of natural castoreum is being used because castoereum is preserved in a chemical that smells like wet cardboard.
12th November, 2016

Add your review of Dzing!

Shop for Dzing! products online

Shop for Dzing! at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Dzing!

Member images of Dzing!

There are no member images of Dzing! yet. Why not be the first?