Dzing! (1999)

HouseL'Artisan Parfumeur
PerfumerOlivia Giacobetti
Parent CompanyPuig Beauty & Fashion Group

About Dzing!

Dzing! is a shared / unisex perfume by L'Artisan Parfumeur. The scent was launched in 1999 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Olivia Giacobetti

Dzing! fragrance notes

Reviews of Dzing!

Castoreum and coumarin with a very brief waft of coconut(?!). Hay, honey, cedar, tack room leather, damp sawdust, musk. It reminds me of being 15 years old and having a crush on one of the older boys at the stables where I used to ride. The animalic notes are sweet, supple, and somewhat...*charged*. I've had a very similar experience with this to afartherroom (see below) and I don't feel I can really add anything to his gorgeous description except to say, yup - my nose buried in the fur of a happy cat sunning itself in the stable yard, surrounded by the smell of horses, tack and the crackling expectation of youth.
This is an absolute must-have for me. Love.
14th March, 2017 (last edited: 24th March, 2017)
Dzing! is a weirdo. First, it was presented to me as a feminine gourmand I should try. I think it's gourmand, but only in the beginning, and very masculine. At first spray, I got cinnamon and nutmeg, which I loved, and disappeared soon into musk and leather. You're left (for a long time) with black pepper and leather, and then vanilla and chocolate.

It's not too my taste, but it's really well done. It's warm, but doesn't project far.
24th January, 2017
bokaba Show all reviews
Type: Gourmand Leather

Dzing is a gourmand/leather type fragrance. It is a good effort, but the fragrance has little development and is only two-faceted.

First, there is an initial blast of a rather animalic musk/civet/castoreum that sadly has a rather harsh, synthetic edge. This is coupled with cedar, hay, and a gourmand caramel type note that is a bit to "foody" for me.

After about 45 minutes, the animalics wear off leaving only a faint sweet gourmand candy that quickly fades away.

This fragrance was originally called Desir du Cirque I believe (Desire of the Circus?). It supposedly captures the hay, concessions, performers, and animals that are part of the circus. I think it captures this a bit but for the synthetic edge.

Many complain Dzing smells of cardboard, but this a good sign that some amount of natural castoreum is being used because castoereum is preserved in a chemical that smells like wet cardboard.
12th November, 2016
Quite the marketing weave on this musk predominant. Noticeable castoreum upon the open and a leathery feel through its heart. There's a touch of indolic flower too and it all settles to a slightly sweet satisfying amber musk skin scent at hour 4. References to MKK, Kiehl's, Bvlgari Black are apt. Nice and pleasant. No clowns in sight.
01st March, 2016
I've never been much of a fan of sweet oriental perfumes. It's not that I don't care for the smell of vanilla--who doesn't love the smell of a sticky black vanilla bean?--but that personal fragrances based on those notes have a weird way of making something deep within me recoil and flinch away from them. Perhaps I was simply far too traumatized by the 1980s. I lived in New York City at the height of the loud orientals era, you see, and I commuted to work by subway. By *rush hour* subway. So as hesitant as I am to draw the ire of the perfumistos by admitting this, I was indeed one of those people who heaved a giant sigh of olfactory relief in the 1990s, when all of those new cool quiet "fresh and clean" aquatics finally replaced the deafeningly loud warm-spicy-yet-also-sickly-sweet-and-don't-forget-the-absolutely-*filthy*-come-hither-animalics! melange as the prevailing smell of the crowded morning subway car.

I know, I know. I'm so sorry.

Anyway, the point is that I didn't really expect to care all that much for Dzing! As far as I could tell, it looked to be a warm, spicy, candy-sweet, vanillic gourmandish yet also kinda fecal-filthy oriental. All of the things that I thought I didn't care for in a fragrance.

But then I gave it a sniff.

And then another.

And then another...and another...and another...

And then, only a week after my first whiff of Dzing!, I had somehow managed not only to use up my entire sample, but also to shell out more money than I thought I would ever be willing to pay for 100 mls, just to have a great big stonking bottle of this for my very own. I just couldn't help myself. I simply had to, you see, because this remarkably addictive fragrance smells like so many of the very best things on earth: of well-kept stables and tack rooms and warm sweet hay, of a healthy horse's neck when you nuzzle it after a good day's ride and the way that your palms smell after that same day of riding (the leather of the reins combining with your sweat and the fine fresh horse sweat to make something new and strange out of the once-familiar skin-smell of your own two hands). It smells of fresh-cut pine boards, ancient varnish, the tasty salicylated green inner layer of black birch bark; of sarsaparilla and sealing wax; of the inside of a lacquered Chinese false-bottomed box. It's the smell of schoolbook covers made from brown paper grocery bags and decorated with thick and redolent permanent markers, and of the enormous cardboard refrigerator box your parents let you play in when you were very small. It's all of the good smells of childhood and none of the bad: it's fatwood and toffee and that fried dough with powdered sugar they sell at the state fair. It's that funny brown benzoin your grandmother once dabbed on your scraped knee to make a bandaid stick better -- and it's also the weirdly rubbery old bandaid itself. It's dusty boxes in the attic, a forgotten cake of rosin found inside a velvet-lined antique violin case, shelves upon shelves of old used books, the fur behind the ears of a sun-warmed purring cat...

It's all of these olfactory memories at once, and yet it doesn't...quite...match any one of them perfectly. It somehow manages to be both intensely allusive and profoundly nostalgic, while never quite settling on any single precise referent.

And in the end, of course, like all the best fragrances, Dzing! smells like nothing but its own unique self.

I am absolutely, head-over-heels in love with this fragrance, but the thing is, I can also recognize that many of the reasons others have given for finding it gross are pretty much accurate. There *is* a fecal aspect to the smell of even the best-maintained stable, and while I may find that tang of well-aged horse manure to be not only inoffensive but even actively enjoyable, I can certainly understand why someone else might be violently averse to the idea of deliberately scenting themselves with it. Cat fur, similarly, is not a smell that everyone enjoys, nor is attic dust, and I am sure that there are many for whom the words "horse sweat" do not precisely ring out as a positive endorsement of a perfume. And though I've always loved the turpentinic smell of rosin, I've never heard of anyone rubbing it all over themselves in a futile attempt at budget DIY perfumery -- unlike, say, vanilla extract from the kitchen, which very many young people do try to use in just that way.

So yeah, I get what others might find disgusting about Dzing!. Honestly, I really, really do get it.

But to me, it is just hauntingly beautiful.
09th November, 2015 (last edited: 13th November, 2015)
Loro Show all reviews
An autumn favourite, that always brings a smile to my face.

I don't really get the circus reference - but then I have never been to a circus. What I do get here is a wonderful smokiness, reminiscent (for UK readers) of the chill, damp air of bonfire night and the magic of fireworks crackling in the skies, and toffee apples on sticks and kids' eyes lighting up as the colours fizz and pop above.

Leather, for me, is secondary - it is there if I look for it but not dominant. I feel there might be iris somewhere too, but maybe I'm getting carried away with my November associations....

I love Dzing! because it doesn't really remind me of any other fragrance (although I kind of get the Fahrenheit comparison, now it's been pointed out).

It is interesting and clever and lasts a good 6-7 hours on my skin.
29th October, 2015

Add your review of Dzing!

Shop for Dzing! products online

Shop for Dzing! at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Dzing!

Member images of Dzing!

There are no member images of Dzing! yet. Why not be the first?