Passage d'Enfer (1999)

HouseL'Artisan Parfumeur
PerfumerOlivia Giacobetti
Parent CompanyPuig Beauty & Fashion Group

About Passage d'Enfer

Passage d'Enfer is a shared / unisex perfume by L'Artisan Parfumeur. The scent was launched in 1999 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Olivia Giacobetti

Passage d'Enfer fragrance notes

Reviews of Passage d'Enfer

I am not sure what formaldehyde smells like or if it even has a scent but with passage d'enfor I imagine myself laid out in a coffin after some dastardly deed being perpetrated upon my soul(whether deserving or not) and the mortician's assistant has sought to compensate for whatever ghastly aromas my decomposed body might be giving off by pumping me full of this funeral home chemically smelling substance which is now oozing out my pours as those who weep over me cover their noses. (A little too dark for me).
26th September, 2017
It's a bit odd - sometimes it seems like a floral with some incense , others it's all incense and woods, and others it's like a little sister to Dzongkha - with that incense/wood mixed with a creamy almost meaty smell.

I never particularly like the opening notes, but when it settles I get wafts during the day of something intriguing and complex, which makes me pause.
19th July, 2017
Passage D'enfer is a private, indwelling drama. It feels like being borne underwater by the sheer weight of lilies heaped upon your body by a mass of unfeeling mourners on the riverbank. From despair, hope: amidst the morbid holy white flowers, the motionless incense, the reservoir of salt that gathers on the verge of crying, and a thick veil of musk. From all of these comes, at last, a sense of strength and solace. It feels like looking your demons in the face and yawning. It feels like moving through the grime invisibly, bearing your sorrows with a light step.
18th March, 2017
There's nothing I dislike about this, just not in love with it. That being said, I find it to be refreshing and unique. I haven't smelled any other fragrances like this. It reminds me of the effervescence you smell after opening a can of lemon-lime soda. Very light, airy and bubbly like that, with some citrus. I also smell the incense and florals, but its not heavy. Projection is okay, won't fill a room, but should be detectable when walking past others. Drydown lasts into the 6-8 hour range and feels clean and woody, with just a little of the citrus still there.
24th February, 2017
Chilly little incense number that I must admit I can’t warm to, much as I admire Olivia Giacobetti’s delicate palette. This is like the suggestion of the sun through a fog. The fog here being some very sweet musk.
Much of the excitement seems to be in the opening minutes where a limpid lily combines pepper and that cool incense and a suggestion of pine. But soon it narrows to that peppery incense caught in billows of musk. Incense, however faint, is a tenacious note on my skin, so I don’t have any projection or longevity issues, it’s just that Passage d’Enfer bores me – it seems to have very little to say and says it in a little voice. The later stages are more satisfying as the sweetness and pepper subsides and it morphs to mainly a conifers and light incense theme with a creamy, silky aura.
A more transporting and satisfying embodiment of some of the notes present here is to be found in Oriza’s Relique d’Amour where the lily is placed on the altar of a pine-ringed mountain chapel, with the frankincense wafting through the door that’s just been opened.

25th August, 2016
Dry, peppery, cold incense...

This fragrance is a typical <i>Olivia Giacobetti</i> composition. She has the ability to do an incense fragrance extremely well. This one is no exception.

The name alternatively means <i>Gateway to Hell</i> or <i>Rite of Passage</i>. I think the second name is more fitting as it also is the name of the street in which the original <i>L'Artisan Parfumeur</i> boutique was located.

What we get here is a very dry, cold incense that has musk, lilly, and dry frankincense. It is extremely wearable, but very light. I would recommend it for lovers of incense.
26th October, 2015

Add your review of Passage d'Enfer

Shop for Passage d'Enfer products online

Shop for Passage d'Enfer at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Passage d'Enfer

Member images of Passage d'Enfer

There are no member images of Passage d'Enfer yet. Why not be the first?

Features relating to Passage d'Enfer