Individuel (2003)

PackagingFranzrudolf Lehnert
Parent CompanyInter Parfums
Parent Company at launchProcter & Gamble > P&G Prestige Beaute

About Individuel

Individuel is a masculine fragrance by Montblanc. The scent was launched in 2003 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Pierre Bourdon. The bottle was designed by Franzrudolf Lehnert

Individuel fragrance notes

Reviews of Individuel

Blue raspberry jolly ranchers warmed in the front pocket of freshly laundered slacks. A delightful way to make an entrance, Individuel.

I blind bought this from a guy on Mercari who claimed this was "too formal" for him. With that first blast, this one is as far from formal as you can get. It's so fun! What a great start to my day. As it finds its footing on my skin chemistry, I notice the formality in the form of an interesting metallic note.

I was so upset when I looked on Individuel's page the other day and saw that two people had agreed that it smelled like Sartorial. No explanation in the reviews? Just... smells like Sartorial? Okay, friend. I recently got a sample of Sartorial, so my indignation felt justified. How dare they hurt my precious fluffy laundered candy this way. On my skin, Sartorial felt heavy and metallic and... completely wrong for me.

But wait, on one of my laps around the office, I felt the same dirty honeyed metallic note. Don't get me wrong, I would NOT go so far as to list Sartorial in the "Reminds me of..." section of Individuel, but in that brief moment, there was a small similarity.

The more I think about it, and after a couple years of Sartorial bouncing on and off my want list, and goodness how silly I know it sounds, Individuel is what I'd hoped Sartorial would be. And it's perfect for me.

(For maximum good feels and fun times, I've dressed this scent up with a lavender dress shirt, pastel pink sweater, and light grey slacks. The whole combination lifts my mood in a very real way.)
08th July, 2018
This starts similar to Original Santal, but it is true that OS is creamier, and that MB is sweeter and more synthetic. MB is certainly worth its price tag (I payed 30€ for 75 ml), though.
26th March, 2018
Thought I'd give this one a go after all the hype and was really looking forward to trying it.
Received, and unfortunately it went on eBay the next day.
For me this is far too synthetic and cloying.
I'll admit I purchased this as it is compared so often to Creed's Original Santal. However to me, although there is some similarity, Santal it is not. Far too much of a one note linear scent, being too sickly sweet.
10th March, 2018
There is so much hype over this frag, but I just dont get it. Im probably the least picky when it comes to scents, but one thing I know is, when I sniff xomething, I know right away, "YES, I can work with this!!!" Right away my mind knows when a scent fits my style and flow and this one does not. They say it smells like dryer sheets......and it does! Like literally open a box of dryer sheets and rub it on you and that is this! Sucks imho. Rather grab a diff juice and leave this one for the swaggless. No Huff and Fluff, Just facts Bro!
02nd February, 2018
I feel sorry for Mont Blanc Individuel, it lives in the shadow of Creed Original Santal and this is thanks to fragrance snobs who call it a clone because they smell so similar and OS is more expensive and prestigious. There are obviously similarities but what a lot of people don’t realise is that Individuel was launched in 2003 whereas OS was launched in 2005. Individuel is a very inticing fragrance, very versatile and garners many compliments. The only trouble is that it sometimes gets mistaken for Joop which is sad because when you compare them side by side, Individuel doesn’t have that overbearing adolescent sweetness to it. Can be worn in all climates however it is very easy to go nose blind to this fragrance. Don’t over do it, remember less is more.
Solid 8.5/10
19th January, 2018 (last edited: 11th February, 2018)
A fresh oriental.

Individuel is a cleverly composed (none other than Pierre Bourdon) fresh oriental, moving from candied lavender, to a heart of raspberry laced with cinnamon and juniper berries, to a dry-down of musky vanilla. A few years later Creed came out with Original Santal, which is woodier, and is sort of a high quality clone.

I can't personally warm up to Individuel because of three reasons: 1) It's sometimes a little synthetic, and even a bit crude, and is lacking in smoothness. 2) It's a bit too sweet in the dry down. 3) I feel this works best on young 20-something men, a phase of life I've left behind.

Else, I like the idea of Individuel.

28th December, 2017