Piper Nigrum (1999)

Average Rating: 4

Based on 235 ratings

Piper Nigrum Fragrance Notes

Piper Nigrum information

Piper Nigrum is a unisex fragrance by Lorenzo Villoresi. The scent was launched in 1999

Reviews of Piper Nigrum

Showing 1 to 6 of 66 reviews.

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Oriental

Unlike some previous reviewers, I have no problem finding the black pepper in this one. It jumps out of the topnotes and grabs me by the short hairs. The development is stupendously complex and surprising, and the rich, ever so slightly sweet drydown is a comfort and a joy. The brisk minty note and the peppery kick make this oriental easy to wear in warmer weather. A “real kick,” as far as I'm concerned.

23 June, 2014

Darvant's avatar

The infamous Piper Nigrum's (mint/pepper/rosemay centered) opening is undoubtedly compelling and decidedly balsamic with its powerful fist in your face of aromatic patterns running along the insidious territory located in the middle beween an "O'driu'-esque" aromatic modern compositions and several renowned balsamic lotions/foams a la Vicks VapoRub-Tiger Balm-Tea Tree Oil. I detect for sure the juxtaposed vegetal (vegetal in to a cosmetic balsamic way and not in to a culinary mode) duo prickly pepper-mentholated patterns (mint, anise, fennel, rosemary, cloves may be oregano etc) but there is by soon detectable in the air something soothing, smoother and more appealing which I perceive as a combination of grapefruit, spicy lemon-orange (citrus plus cloves and mostly cinnamon) and mild amber (supported by woodsy and balmy resins) extending a smoother bed over which the "confrontation" dry sparkling spices-aromatic elements holds on longly to perform its valzer. Frankly I appreciate a lot the soothing intervenction which manages to transform a medicinal forbidding opening in to a more accessible real fragrance which along the dry down keeps surprisingly morphing towards something actually exotic, almost smooth, classy and wearable. A great final sleight of hand by the master perfumer Lorenzo Villoresi, a real guru for the new generation perfumers today operating. In this final phase I still detect the aromatic background but the aroma appears mostly centered over cinnamon, citrus, woods and resins (amber, benzoin, myrrh, resins from the forest). The resemblance to Heeley Esprit du Tigre (anyway less complex, more camphoraceous but finally lighter and more on a "fluidy" vetiver centered) appears in this stage absolutely plain and undeniable but I catch a lot several O' Driu's aromatic references as for instance to Linfedele Haiku and Laltrove 1001. The final still aromatic aroma appears woody, ambery, hesperidic and with a just subtle cool/aromatic/spicy vibe. Not my cup of tea but undoubtedly a well appointed renowned (and largely imitated) experiment.

08 June, 2014

Colin Maillard's avatar

Explosive opening, a bomb of spices, flavours and herbs, mainly cloves, pepper, cinnamon and cumin. Still not in a traditional Oriental meaning – this is more in a dry, organic sense, like opening a bag of spices walking in a vegetable garden. There is a base of green aromatic herbs which actually makes me feel like wandering my dad's garden – oregano and fennels, he has them both (actually this scents reminds me of my father for some more intimate reasons I still can not get). As a counterpart, a pungent, bitter lemon/lime note, which to be honest does not much "fit" in there (pungent on pungent, kind of cloying). As minutes pass you feel a warmer, softer base emerging, mostly comprising a sweet balsamic-resinous accord and amber. The most prominent smell for the whole cycle will however remain the accord of cloves (eugenol), lemon, cinnamon and pepper. You also feel a mentholated/balsamic vibe emerging, which gradually makes the whole scent more and more closer to a medicinal/herbal feel, which is how it ends – I mean that the drydown is in fact undoubtably medicinal, as in Diptyque's Eau Lente or Esprit du Tigre by Heeley. Cloves, balsamic notes, a debris of pepper, dry vetiver and dry resins again. Which in turn gradually developes a kind of gingerbread note. Overall is a peculiar, powerful, challenging scent, with a really complex texture and and elusive personality; all is vibrant, naturally "alive" and dynamic, but still it is also a bit messy for me. There is some accords just layering on others and that creates weird, cloying and noisy superimpositions. Surely unique and interesting to smell, but really challenging to wear – if you manage to do it, it can probably turn into either a disaster or a total win. Strong projection and persistence.

23 April, 2014 (Last Edited: 25 April, 2014)

hedonist222's avatar

Abu Dhabi Abu Dhabi

latest formulation watered down

when I tried this a few years ago, it barely lasted a couple of hours.

I thought the boutique tester was somehow damaged.

then yesterday at the boutique I saw they had s brand new tester.

same thing though, barely lasted a couple of hours.

as had been mentioned on the forums, yes it's been watered down.

tsk tsk Lorenzo.

Pros: excellent composition
    Cons: but latest formulation watered down"

20th July, 2013

AlHamr's avatar

Ew is the first word that comes into my head. Unoriginal, but unavoidable.

I get an initial waft of pepper, anise, peppermint and powder with a potpourri spice-rose feel.

Then I get a more sweet wood accord coming out. Still powdery. The whole makes for a choking, headache-precipitating, greeny-purple, fuggy haze.

Then I get in the shower.

Black pepper - such a nice idea in principle, so almost universally objectionable in execution. Really, how do you do this note without screaming "young buck on a night out"?

14 February, 2013

HackerX's avatar

Piper Nigrum, a scent that took a complete 180 for me. I tried this scent 10 years ago when I just came into the fragrance scene. I found it too medicinal and repulsive. 10 years later I tried this in a vial didn't realize the writing on the card, I thought this smells really good and unique, a few days later i found "Piper Nigrum" on the vial card and I was shocked. A scent that I really disliked 10 years ago had become one of my favorites.

From the first blast to the drydown, everything is just perfect about this fragrance. I can clearly detect the black pepper for the first hour, it is very true to life and very hypnotic. The first blast hits you with full spice assault, it's like opening a spice cabinet first time in years, it's actually rather soothing with this first stage. Then it becomes a little balmy, somewhat sweeter but still with the black pepper in the background. At this stage the sweetness gives off a little cinnamon vibe. Many hours later, it becomes a little ambery but still retains its spicy vibe, this sweet and spicy combo is absolutely breathtaking, I cannot stop smelling this fragrance. It just smells so 'Pure'. This surely has one of the top 3 drydowns among thousands of fragrances I've tried.

Is it groundbreaking? Yes, it was very much ahead of its time. It sounds like something that would nauseate you, but it's the other way around, it's very comforting and relaxing. They say it's a fragrance full of contrasts, and it's absolutely true, contradicting ingredients are at play and the result is daring, fascinating and hypnotizing, a true masterpiece.

01st December, 2012

Add your review of Piper Nigrum

Search for on eBay United States

Piper Nigrum Eau de Toilette - Lorenzo Villoresi - 50ml
    • Time Left: 18 days
    Ebay United States
    (Shipping from United States)
    Piper Nigrum Eau de Toilette - Lorenzo Villoresi
    • Time Left: 3 days
    Ebay United States
    (Shipping from United States)
    Piper Nigrum By Lorenzo Villoresi EDT SPRAY 3.4 OZ 100 ML UNISEX NEW IN BOX