Piper Nigrum (1999)
    by Lorenzo Villoresi

Piper Nigrum Fragrance Notes

Reviews of Piper Nigrum

Showing 1 to 6 of 63 reviews.

hedonist222's avatar
    hedonist222
    Abu Dhabi Abu Dhabi

latest formulation watered down

when I tried this a few years ago, it barely lasted a couple of hours.

I thought the boutique tester was somehow damaged.

then yesterday at the boutique I saw they had s brand new tester.

same thing though, barely lasted a couple of hours.

as had been mentioned on the forums, yes it's been watered down.

tsk tsk Lorenzo.

Pros: excellent composition
    Cons: but latest formulation watered down"

20th July, 2013

AlHamr's avatar
    AlHamr

Ew is the first word that comes into my head. Unoriginal, but unavoidable.

I get an initial waft of pepper, anise, peppermint and powder with a potpourri spice-rose feel.

Then I get a more sweet wood accord coming out. Still powdery. The whole makes for a choking, headache-precipitating, greeny-purple, fuggy haze.

Then I get in the shower.

Black pepper - such a nice idea in principle, so almost universally objectionable in execution. Really, how do you do this note without screaming "young buck on a night out"?

14 February, 2013

HackerX's avatar
    HackerX

Piper Nigrum, a scent that took a complete 180 for me. I tried this scent 10 years ago when I just came into the fragrance scene. I found it too medicinal and repulsive. 10 years later I tried this in a vial didn't realize the writing on the card, I thought this smells really good and unique, a few days later i found "Piper Nigrum" on the vial card and I was shocked. A scent that I really disliked 10 years ago had become one of my favorites.

From the first blast to the drydown, everything is just perfect about this fragrance. I can clearly detect the black pepper for the first hour, it is very true to life and very hypnotic. The first blast hits you with full spice assault, it's like opening a spice cabinet first time in years, it's actually rather soothing with this first stage. Then it becomes a little balmy, somewhat sweeter but still with the black pepper in the background. At this stage the sweetness gives off a little cinnamon vibe. Many hours later, it becomes a little ambery but still retains its spicy vibe, this sweet and spicy combo is absolutely breathtaking, I cannot stop smelling this fragrance. It just smells so 'Pure'. This surely has one of the top 3 drydowns among thousands of fragrances I've tried.

Is it groundbreaking? Yes, it was very much ahead of its time. It sounds like something that would nauseate you, but it's the other way around, it's very comforting and relaxing. They say it's a fragrance full of contrasts, and it's absolutely true, contradicting ingredients are at play and the result is daring, fascinating and hypnotizing, a true masterpiece.

01st December, 2012

Noblesse Oblige's avatar
    Noblesse Oblige

I tried this a few times from a sample. As with all LV offerings, Piper Nigrum is innovative and interesting ... and makes you stop and think:"Wow, this is something. Do I like it?" The spice, mint, and pepper make for a stimulating and unique fragrance ... witty, and happy, absolutely delightful. My problem with Piper Negrum is the dry down to a kind of ambery and clovey base, with some overtones that are not altogether pleasant. My wife noted it and said she didn't like it, which is unusual for her. Two stars out of five.

10th November, 2012 (Last Edited: 06 December, 2012)

Jack Hunter's avatar
    Jack Hunter

Hot spicy medicinal Tiger Balm is what I'm getting from this. It reminds me when I was at school many moons ago and sprained my leg in soccer practice. I applied loads of this deep heat cream and it was giving off the same vibe as Piper Nigrum.

A very strange fragrance it smells like a hospital. I just could not see myself wearing this as a scent.lol

23 March, 2012

Buysblind's avatar
    Buysblind

A very bright, fresh and spicy concoction. I love the way it opens with lots of fresh mint and pepper. In fact the mint is fantastic, and reminds me a lot of the mint opening in Roadster, however it feels even more natural and the volume is turned down on it to allow it to mingle with the spices. This is NOT a dark fragrance as I had expected--it's very much the opposite. Nor is it challenging. The word 'effervescent' comes to mind when describing it. Now, I only put it on 15 minutes ago, so I'm hoping this fresh, lively quality persists for some time. I'll report on that before I review my next sample. Anyway, this is the 3rd Villoresi fragrance I've tried (Uomo--which I own, and Yerbamate, being the other two) and now I can definitely detect a "Villoresi trademark" of some kind that the fragrances share. They have this very natural, alive quality to them which tends to transport you outdoors--whether it be to a field or meadow or garden or forest, etc. If you're into that kind of thing and are looking for something bright and spicy, Piper Nigrum could be an excellent choice. I can imagine I will pick up a bottle of this come Spring, as I can see it blending perfectly with that time of year.

Impressive.