Rochas Lui (2003)

SupplierRobertet
Parent CompanyInter Parfums
Parent Company at launchProcter & Gamble > Wella > Cosmopolitan Cosmetics

About Rochas Lui

This scent is designed to be a mix of old and new. The bottle is made of heavy glass and has a rounded base so that the fragrance rocks.
The perfumer behind the scent also created Joop! Homme

Rochas Lui fragrance notes

Reviews of Rochas Lui

I found a lone bottle of Lui sitting on the shelf of a fragrance kiosk in the mall when I was traveling. The shop keeper said it was $65 CdN for a 100ml bottle, which is a steal considering the prices this goes for on eBay. I decided to blind buy it because of its reputation and reviews.

I haven't spent a ton of time with this but trust me, it's fantastic. As described, it's a clash of two different olfactory genres: vibrant citrus notes meets soft, cozy oriental notes of woods, vanilla, and amber.

The perfumer behind the long loved but gone Gucci Pour Homme (2003) is behind this, so if you like that, you'll likely like this. Think of Lui as a fresh or summer flanker to it.
16th January, 2017
Stardate 20160916:

A well composed cologne. It reminds me of PPH in its subtlety.
Unfortunately, Neroli is something I do not appreciate and hence will not buy Lui.
If you like (or do not mind) Neroli you should give Lui a go. You will not regret it.

I was torn between Neutral and Thumbs Up rating but with the price it demands I cannot recommend it.
16th September, 2016
Thumbs up for being interesting, although it is arguably cloying. The sweetness is balanced, perhaps disguised, with a burnt smell. It is a strong perfume.
06th July, 2016
BLUF: One of my favorite cedars. Simultaneously uplifting & brisk, cosy & warm. Woody/citrus scent supported by a quiet, dry vanilla. Performance is admirable for the genre, easily lasting 8-10 hours on my skin.

Rochas Lui rocks! Literally. It's curved base allows it to. Hilarious banter aside, this is a brilliant and unique way to present cedar, and a fine cedar it is.

I agree with Way Off Scenter that the opening is a little clumsy, although I don't find the amount of alcohol too off-putting; it's the neroli and cedar butting heads that produces a bit of a sour note. It's fleeting and doesn't deter me too much. I struggle to find anything barbershop about it, but as a duo, the wood and citric facets come off as a tad soapy at times during development.

The vanilla here is very restrained and contributes more to an overall richness, as opposed to its typical duties as a sweetener. I don't find much sweetness here at all, but it's about as cozy as a cedar-centric masculine can be.

For me, this is Michael Almairac's crowning achievement. Why this and Gucci pour Homme were discontinued and Joop! Homme lives on is just beyond me. I've stocked up on Rochas Lui through cost-induced gritted teeth, but as soon as I put it on, it's obviously money well spent.
19th May, 2016
This is mostly a cedar scent without the bitterness of cedar. A strong patchouli without the psy-rock hippieness; even an incense with the spiritual feel changed into a soapy barbershop vibe. But it is also a barbershop scent without the Fougère and musky clichées. And even a chocolate fume bearing the gourmand sweetness. A citrus that's all about the peel. A mediterranean one when sun doesn't shine. A marine view - out of the far distance. Lui Rochas is a good performer. It is a brillantly lasting but a quiet one, that's getting better the longer one is wearing it. A perfect signature scent. And a perfume that's most soothing to the actual wearer. One fine day this one will get some strange Patou pour Homme like honours. Glad that I've stocked up.
28th February, 2016
Today it was time again for Rochas Lui .

I can not get enough of this and it actually looks like that Lui could become something of a signature scent for this spring and summer. It is a citrus - neroli darkened down by amber , cedar , vanilla and patchouli. Scent -wise , it moves in the same territory as Xerjoff Kobe and Kurkdjian's APOM Pour Homme . I see images of a glowing sunset over a beautiful coastal Mediterranean town where a bunch well dressed men and women enjoying a long and enjoyable dinner.
10th May, 2015

Add your review of Rochas Lui

Shop for Rochas Lui products online

Shop for Rochas Lui at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Rochas Lui

Member images of Rochas Lui

There are no member images of Rochas Lui yet. Why not be the first?