John Varvatos (2004)

SupplierQuest International
Parent CompanyRevlon Inc > Elizabeth Arden Inc
Parent Company at launchShiseido > ZIC Corp

About John Varvatos

The scent itself was created by Quest International on behalf of Zirh / Shiseido using Varvatos' ideas. It's notes are familiar (Leather, Herbs) and unique (Medjool, Indian Tamarind Tree Leaves, Eaglewood, Auramber --- All never used before in perfumery)

The bottle is inspired by "Masculinity, Luxury and the texture of the Varvatos' Fashion Collection" -- A mix of smoked glass and leather.

Reviews of John Varvatos

I forget why and how, but I once bought this as a present for my dad, and moving in his vapour trail made me wonder why I hadn't just kept it (and bought him something else instead, of course, I'm not that mean).

Trying it for myself, at last, and my reference points became clear: Aventus and Philosykos, that is, scents with prominent fleshy or dried fruits, and woody bases. In John Varvatos, that place is filled by dates and tamarind.

To cut to the chase: this is no Aventus. I'm no particular fan of Aventus, but the message there is clear. John Varvatos on me was remarkably mutable, changing even from moment to moment. Sometimes the fruit was too prominent for my taste, in that strange dry/sweet way that you get from dried fruit and making the ensemble slightly flabby, not like the austere but milky effect provided by Philosykos. The best parts came when the vanilla, leather, spices and wood came together to form a terrific masculine scent. However, to get me really enthusiastic, this would have had to constitute a consistent drydown with more aggressive performance.

Many have commented on the performance - on me it was quiet but persistent, so average longevity and sillage in the lowest quartile, so to speak.

All in all, very frustrating - I can sense there's a fragrance in there that suits me to a T, but it's dressed up in too much fruity frippery. Imagine a steely-eyed guy in a tux, dripping masculinity, ordering a peach daquiri with two umbrellas. That's this scent.

And because I'm so qualified, what would I do differently? Lose the dried fruit, crank the performance, emphasise the spicy woods, leather, and vanilla, and trust that the softness of these materials compensates for unforgiving sillage. There's a great scent waiting to get out here, but there's too much to fix for me to wait around. A disappointment.
21st November, 2016
JV by JV sends me straight to an exotic caribbean location. I found it to be a unique and delightful scent. Although some of JVs later offerings are similar, IMO this is their best one.

Sadly it is a little light in projection and also fades too quickly. Even so, I will not be without a bottle and will wear it regularly. This one wears best applied moderately (not heavy, which is easy to do) with backup to be used once or twice later in the day/evening. One of the sexiest scents I own, IMO.
28th July, 2016 (last edited: 06th December, 2016)
smellwise, this is a pretty good fragrance...I had a small decant that I've enjoyed wearing around the house...reason being I'm in the group that seems to get minimal projection and longevity from JV fragrances in general, this one being no exception ...I get maybe 2 good hours tops - and then it's almost like I never put anything on...so it would not work for me for when I need an all day scent...the fragrance itself smells pretty good...I get a nice ripe/sweet/juicy/rich/syrupy fruit accord sitting on a thin layer of wood which then leads into a nice sweet/ambery/leathery vanilla....and then....poof!!!...gone...
nice while it lasts and I do enjoy the smell for the time it hangs around for me...
FBW...if you can get a good discount...because chances are you will have to reapply
Sweet Fruity Woody Leather
04th February, 2016
numcks Show all reviews
Sweet and fruity and somewhat synthetic - like a hard candy. Some suede leather and sandalwood/amber/vanilla. Somewhat youthful/juvenile.
08th November, 2015
hcr Show all reviews
I get the cherry/fruity smell from this. Very pleasant, not very strong though. Doesn't seem to last too long, would need a lot of sprays. Probably going to stay in the sample pile.
25th August, 2015
Salutation.

I am seductive.i am romantic.i am elegant.i am JOHN VERVATOS!Yes this scent is a beautiful modern scent for men 25/35 years old.

The EDP version is slightly different to the EDT but both are really nice.when i wear it in intimate occasions i always get compliments of my friends regarding my perfume!

Middle/base notes in nice harmony.The longevity and sillage is very good for me.i often wear in the autumn time because i think it is perfect in rainy weather.

Anyway if you are looking for a modern oriental woody you are exactly at the right place.

09th May, 2015 (last edited: 11th May, 2015)

Add your review of John Varvatos

Shop for John Varvatos products online

Shop for John Varvatos at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for John Varvatos

Member images of John Varvatos

There are no member images of John Varvatos yet. Why not be the first?