John Varvatos (2004)
    by John Varvatos

John Varvatos Fragrance Notes

John Varvatos information

The first thing Basenotes noticed about this scent is the distinguished looking bottle it comes in: Inspired by "Masculinity, Luxury and the texture of the Varvatos' Fashion Collection" -- A mix of smoked glass and leather.
    The scent itself was created by Quest International on behalf of Zirh / Shiseido using Varvatos' ideas. It's notes are familiar (Leather, Herbs) and unique (Medjool, Indian Tamarind Tree Leaves, Eaglewood, Auramber --- All never used before in perfumery)
    At launch the range includes: Eau de Toilette (75ml and 125ml), After Shave Gel, Deodorant and Hair & Body Wash.

Shop for John Varvatos products online

Reviews of John Varvatos

Showing 1 to 6 of 135 reviews.

RichNTacoma's avatar
    RichNTacoma

A shock

I love the smell of this one. It has a sensual fruity quality, almost as if the fruits are on the edge of being overly ripe. There is richness in the basenotes, something musky and a bit dark. The only problem I have is the projection is not great, and the longevity is lacking.

---------------

So, here is a problem; this makes me nauseous half the time I wear it. I have now worn it about 6 more times, and three of them I have felt sick. There is something in the initial sweetness that does not agree with me. A few more wears, and my bottle might go to someone who can enjoy it more consistently than I can.

04 July, 2013

fan.of.devin's avatar
    fan.of.devin

Underrated

Smells uncannily like a more mature version of Paco Rabanne's 1 Million.
    Interesting stuff, though I only sampled it and cannot attest to the longevity or sillage.

02 June, 2013

Possum-Pie's avatar
    Possum-Pie

I feel this is a step above the long lines of generic citrus dept. store fragrances...barely. It isn't linear like most, the dates and vanilla give it some depth. I did not get excited by it, I would wear it if I had it but wouldn't buy it.

05 May, 2013

pdxtony's avatar
    pdxtony

People have said great things about this fragrance and they are all true.
    I have had compliments from women of all ages.
    Probably my fall/winter signature fragrance now.

04 May, 2013

Buysblind's avatar
    Buysblind

A very original smelling and interesting perfume to say the least. It seems like no one's experience with John Varvatos is quite the same. I get a sort of dark cherry note in the top , brought about by the tamarind and date fruit which sticks around for a while as the fragrance moves into a spicy mid (cinnamon, coriander) and finally a vanilla/leather base. I've always felt like the bottle represents this fragrance pretty well. It's dark, but smooth and approachable. John Varvatos is well-suited for the winter and could also be considered something of a romantic fragrance.

One thing I think everyone can agree on is that this fragrance is MOODY. As others have stated, on some days the projection is through the roof and on others it's minimal. The same goes for the longevity. And there are times when Varvatos maintains a tight, solid structure throughout its duration, and others when it seems to fall apart before your eyes, each note separating from the whole and bouncing around in a discordant frenzy. Its inconsistency is the only thing, in my opinion, keeping John Varvatos from being a truly great perfume, or designer classic. It has so many great things going on--yet it's marked by this one tragic flaw. That said, I still think it's a very good fragrance and one that I thoroughly enjoy wearing...most of the time.

22 December, 2012

knightowl's avatar
    knightowl

Could benefit from better-quality ingredients, but its good enough for a thumbs up.

11th November, 2012