Versace Man (2003)

PackagingDonatella Versace
Parent CompanyEuroitalia
Parent Company at launchGiver Profumi

About Versace Man

The first masculine Versace scent to be overseen by Donatella.

Versace Man fragrance notes

Reviews of Versace Man

I am firmly convinced that if a niche brand came up with this very fragrance in the past season, probably many would be raving about it. “Smooth tobacco gem”, “luxury modern Oriental”, “classy underwear killer” and so on, they’d say. I would even dare to think Creed could easily make something like this and sell it for ten times the price, but I’m too young and handsome to burn in hell yet. Anyway I say all of this because Versace Man has them quite all: it’s elegantly sweet, it’s really easy to like, it smells quite above most of other Versace offerings quality-wise (it didn’t take much), and it’s mild and light enough to keep it classy. So either this fragrance is quite underrated, or perfumery has gone down to the point any average-quality designer from a dozen years ago smells like today’s finest. Most probably it’s the first for me. Either way, Versace Man is really nice – and only that matters. I think it anticipates many “smooth and sweet-smoky metrosexual” scents based on similar notes, and to some extent, also floral-musky sweet fragrances with a shade of dusty dark like Dior Homme (I am not saying they smell similar; just that it anticipates some of Dior’s key features and the overall concept). It bears quite some similarities with Versace Dreamer as well, but it smells decidedly more modern and with some significant differences, notably more warm, spicy-musky powderiness and a typical “sweet-plushy nondescript woodiness” which so many scents from the 2000s had.

If you’re wondering how it smells, well: saffron and tobacco are quite the main notes here, surrounded by a warm, a bit synthetic but cozy enough accord of amber, clean musk, mild peppery spices and a tad of citrus-infused light flowers. So basically a warm, smooth, aromatic and slightly “dusty” blend with a fresher-gentler feminine touch, but also a whole “classy, kind of dark masculine sense of confidence” due to amber, tobacco and spices. It also quite linear though, evolving towards a disgracefully short-lived ambery-woody-musk drydown still with nuances of saffron and spices, mostly cardamom. As for tobacco and saffron, which dominate the first couple of hour or so, I surely don’t get any difference with several more expensive or praised saffron or tobacco scents from today – from L’Artisan Parfumeur to Santa Maria Novella Tabacco.

Overall this fragrance is really decent to pretty much all extents, and I’d mildly recommend it; there’s nothing astonishingly outstanding and it surely smells a bit artificial, but has definitely some nice “deep moments”, it is surely classy and versatile, it’s decidedly discreet so it can perform fine in any situation, and it doesn’t smell (overly) cheap or derivative – on the contrary, as I said, I personally see it as a neglected precursor of more recent trends. The longevity is tragic though.

10th November, 2015
Heady. A nice deep purple swirl of tobacco and spicy saffron keep this on the darker, sensual side. A powdery cloud texture projects with more than ample strength and gives way to a well composed amber note in the base. The amber is superior in quality to others found in typical designer scents. Spicy florals accent the edges and you're left with a solid option for fall and winter evenings. Somewhat opulent, more oriental than woody, and probably best when worn a little dressed up, Versace Man is the perfect compliment to Versace Pour Homme and a very good value for its price. I tend to shy away from opulent orientals, but the spiciness and comforting amber in the latter stages makes this one very appealing to me. Projection and longevity are superb.
11th October, 2014
I love Pour Homme, and this is nearly as good. THe blend of citrus and tobacco is wonderful It has a sweet note too...probably the cardamom. Reminds me a tiny bit like YSL L'Homme Libre.
02nd March, 2013
I've read it has been discontinued... what a shame if this is true. Versace Man is a great oriental based on tobacco fragrance that's very unique if compared to latest designers releases. It has nothing related to Eau Fraiche. Reminds me of a cross between Dolce & Gabanna Pour Homme and Dreamer. Definetely thumbs up!
12th December, 2012
The best from the Versace house hands down. Very sweet, sexy vibe. Warm too. Perfect for the colder weather. This can last a workday and gives off a confident, smooth, warm, sexy vibe. Tobacco is used nicely as a note here, maybe a bit synthetic but undeniably charming and pleasant.
24th November, 2012
I dont know how people get candy out of this. I get a strong pepper on top along with some floral. Nevertheless, the pepper is certainly dominant. As it dries down it gets sweeter and darker. I don't see how people could think this is a fresh fragrance. It's not the darkest but I also wouldn't wear it during the summer. Perhaps fall. I used to feel like this was too mature for me, but it has really grown on me. This fragrance is more formal than casual though.
27th October, 2012