Angel Garden Of Stars - Violet Angel (2005)
by Thierry Mugler

SupplierQuest International
PackagingThierry Mugler
Parent CompanyGroupe Clarins

About Angel Garden Of Stars - Violet Angel

The "Garden of Stars" series is intended to reach out to both consumers who are fans and those that do not like the original Angel.
Angel is a Woody-Foody scent with no floral notes -- this new range intends to 'floralize' the scent. The three fragrances are Violet Angel, The Lily Angel and Peony Angel.

Angel Garden Of Stars - Violet Angel fragrance notes

Reviews of Angel Garden Of Stars - Violet Angel

Angel Violette opens with Angel's signature patchouli + vanilla/sugar combo. I initially worried about the sugar being watery sweet. Luckily it's smoothened by vanilla. However, the patchouli seems a little bit sharper compared to the other three Garden Stars, but still, it's been toned down a lot compared to the original. And as usual, the patch + sweetness combo smells like chocolate.

Violette doesn't evolve dramatically. The Angel base is softened by violet leaf, hiacynth and violet but none of them is distinctive enough. After 1 or 2 hours later, like sofiii mentioned, the scent did remind me of the cherry + licorice combo in Jesus del Pozo in Black.

It turns into a skin scent after about 5 hours. The vanilla and sugar mellow while herbal notes become more prominent. It lasts about 8 hours in total and the sillage is relatively soft.

Violette is indeed Angel but softened by violet. However, if you're looking for an unusual violet prominent fragrance, I might not recommend it as first choice.

EDIT: After wearing it a few times, I can now discern the peppery violet leaf and the spicy and powdery violet. The violet combined with the patchouli also gives me a discreet dried plum like note. But overall, it's still like looking at Angel through a violet veil, as the violet mingles meticulously with the other notes in Angel Violette.
21st December, 2018
When Garden Of Stars was released, I was so looking forward to trying Violet Angel, as I was really enjoying original Angel at the time, and also, violet has always been one of my favourite floral notes. However, I was so disappointed: I don't know if the way it developed on my skin was typical, but it smelled like I had mixed Angel with Mugler Cologne; with no noticeable violet at all.

This was the only Garden Of Stars fragrance I tried - I now wish I'd tried some of the others; but, at the time, I'm afraid Violet Angel completely put me off, and I decided I preferred my Angel unadulterated!
27th July, 2017
Four stars cuz it's Angel, and I don't detect anything else. Some of these fine fragrance distinctions are beyond me for whatever reason. Could I be anosmic to violet, and many other things? Lack experience? Likely. Anyway, nice bottle, nice smell. Wish they'd lose the blue in their marketing materials, or find a more appealing shade...
18th December, 2012
Ethyl Maltol. In such concentrations that my poor unsophisticated olfactory apparatus shuts down and won't register anything else.

Oh dear, I feel like a doddery old fool insisting I don't understand the music the kids are listening to.

AND they play it too loud. ;-)

I shall persist. I shall not accept perfume generation gap. I'm sure that fault lies with me. Surely the youth of today know what's what?

All self deprecation aside, I can pick a sweet sweet orange oil and something quite violet-like, maybe even a hint of violet leaf. There's something long, cool and pepperminty. Nose against the skin the effect is very sticky and syrupy, the sillage more ethereal - like the breath of someone who's popped a strong mint and a violet pastille in their mouth at once, savoured and then rinsed with raspberry cordial. I'm persisting... I have to try so hard with it to get something beyond the confectioners' sugar.

Just as it's hard to get to know anything beyond the superficial when talking with someone who's the life of the party, so it is with this: carapaced with a sugary floss that acts as shield and armour protecting complexity of personality.

Maybe that's the post-modern point. Scent is analogous to the in-public face we wear. It's meant to be a show, a façade. We save our real self (as is proper and special) for our intimates. What scent does the Angel girl wear at home?

Six hours in there's something pretty, spicy and powdery going on. Egoiste for teenage girls. With. Sugary. Floss.

How successfully this scent achieves its aim. I would not be at all displeased if a young person of my acquaintance favoured this scent. And I am grateful to it for being such a fine example of its kind that I learned a thing or two.
04th October, 2012 (last edited: 09th October, 2012)
Ratfink Show all reviews
This is a funny one. Bought as a blind buy, because I love Angel and I love violets; seeing as it was discontinued, when I found a bottle available online, I pounced. It's sweeter than the original Angel, more obviously 'gourmand' - and it's as though the elements which make Angel interesting are missing. Someone has commented that it smells like 'a deep fryer' - to me it's what a deep-fried Mars bar would smell like, only with added violets. Bizarrely, I still like it....
08th October, 2011
I love the smell of violets when they are not too strong or too powdery. In this fragrance they are perfect.

Violette Angel is delicate, fresh, green and sweet. It is surprisingly quite warm and comforting, almost like a cashmere blanket draped over your shoulders. I'll agree that this is indeed a Wintery scent.

I love that this fragrance is sweet without being too sweet. Forget cotton candy, think lightly sugared violets, powdery almost.

This is by far my favourite from the Garden of Stars collection. I loved it the moment I sprayed it, even before I let it develop. And let me tell you, the drydown is divine. Soft and powdery vanilla with the slightest hint of violet.

Once again the sillage and lasting strength does not disappoint, Thierry Mugler fragrances rarely do. This fragrance gets the thumbs up from me.

05th June, 2011

Add your review of Angel Garden Of Stars - Violet Angel

Shop for Angel Garden Of Stars - Violet Angel products online

Thierry Mugler, Angel Garden Of Stars Violette Violet EDP 100ml/3.4oz, RARE!!!

End Date: Friday May-3-2019 4:14:06 PDT
Buy It Now for only: $175.00
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Member images of Angel Garden Of Stars - Violet Angel

There are no member images of Angel Garden Of Stars - Violet Angel yet. Why not be the first?