parfums*PARFUMS Series 5 Sherbet: Rhubarb (2003)
    by Comme des Garçons

Average Rating: 4

Based on 85 ratings

parfums*PARFUMS Series 5 Sherbet: Rhubarb information

parfums*PARFUMS Series 5 Sherbet: Rhubarb is a unisex fragrance by Comme des Garçons. The scent was launched in 2003

Reviews of parfums*PARFUMS Series 5 Sherbet: Rhubarb

Showing 1 to 6 of 17 reviews.

cfrench76's avatar

Sweet, fresh, and creamy, yet tart and a bit bitter. Great casual fragrance for anyone who loves grassy, green, vegetal scents.

14 December, 2013

rogalal's avatar

Rhubarb as a note has been brutally abused lately and is a sort of a warning sign to me that a perfume that lists it as a note is usually going to end up being a dumb fruity floral or one of those even dumber fruit-candy-under-a-metallic-woody-amber-haze scents. The thing that's amazing about CDG's Rhubarb is that it's neither of those - it's actually very avant garde.

The rhubarb note is about what you'd expect, a sort of fruity red smell with big sour green undertones and pepper on top. It also has a red-hued almost-fruit spiciness that reminds me a lot of cardamom. But it's the experimental weirdness surrounding the rhubarb that actually makes this interesting. Like a Dali painting of a bunch of rhubarb surrounded by melting clocks, CDG surrounds their rhubarb with a strange brew of smells, dominated by a sort of milky rice smell that's kind of sour. There's also that old-fashioned resinous waxy plastic smell that Caron uses, a pinch of vanilla and some overheating-copier ozone, and a weirdly familiar odor that reminds me of white Elmers glue. Strangely, at times, this all comes together to smell like kheer, the sweet rice pudding spiced with cardamom.

Honestly, if you're a fan of the smell of actual rhubarb, your enjoyment of this perfume will really depend on how you feel about these odd surrounding notes. That sour rice milk/wax/glue smell is truly strange. It's very CDG but will likely turn off a lot of people. I'm not sure I'd ever use up a full bottle of this, but I certainly think it's interesting enough to warrant a sample.

21st May, 2012

Bigsly's avatar

Too much "synthetic" sweet woodiness for me. I suggest Ciel mon Jardin! for a rhubarb that is stronger all the way through and for an overall more natural-smelling fragrance. I have to give this one a negative because it doesn't do anything I like, nor do I think it works on any level, once you get beyond the top notes, which I can see a lot of people enjoying. If you want a similar drydown, there are many fragrances that are at least as good, and don't cost nearly as much.

12 February, 2011

SirSlarty's avatar

I like the smell of rhubarb. When I see it in the grocer I would pick some up to smell. CdG's Rhubarb opens with it but turns into a woodsy vanilla and leafy version of it later on. I like the drydown but being called "rhubarb" is deceiving. Too bad it's fleeting. BUT the drydown is good and typical for CdG. It's kinda neat to that CdG decided to put this in the sherbert series.

If you like rhubarb, check out Ciel Mon Jardin by Le Prince Jardinier. That's a darn good garden variety rhubarb.

29 October, 2009

PigeonMurderer's avatar

Finland Finland

EdT.

Very disappointed in this. I had so much high hopes for this one, and it didn’t deliver at all.

I love rhubarb, especially raw. It is a special treat for me every summer.

I have to admit CdG rhubarb does actually smell like real rhubarb in the beginning. It isn’t fresh and raw rhubarb to me, but more like made into jam like rhubarb. You know; a boiled rhubarb with little bit sugar along.
    But this rhubarb smell doesn’t last on me at all. After 5 or 10 minutes after application it is gone completely. Then what is left, is a scent of green grass with notable hint of creamy vanilla. That phase lasts about 5 hours and then there is nothing to smell about.

I get no tart or juicy tones out of this at all.

Weak and utterly boring. And like I said, totally disappointing.

03 February, 2009

Nukapai's avatar

Very nicely done, accurate, tart rhubarb. It's green, zesty and mouth-watering at start and doesn't evolve much for the first hour or so. You do get a slightly sweeter, slightly candied feel after that (although that might be just the thing I do to perfumes anyway - turn them sweet almost regardless), but the feeling of being under a giant rhubarb leaf in the summer never disappears. The longevity could be better, but midling lasting power is understandable for a scent like this.

15 November, 2008